1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Next Gen MacBook Pro With Retina 2880 x 1800 Display Officially Announced..

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jun 12, 2012.

1. wipeout

wipeout Member

I'm using this for my 15" rMBP, though they don't currently appear to have any in stock. If you only need minimal protection, they add no real weight or bulk.

edit: here's the link: RadTech RadSleevz

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. FOXH0UND

FOXH0UND Member

Link's aren't working homie:(

3. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

Picking up my first Apple on Saturday. I'm doing Graphic Design at CATC this year, so kinda thought I better learn Apple. I've been a diehard PC person and have never considered Apple. So I'm getting a Retina MBP 15"with 16GB & 256GB SSD - getting it from Powermedia in Surry Hills who have deals via CATC getting it for $2340. A little excited :leet:

4. FearTec

FearTec Member

Congrats you will be impressed.

5. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Morning guys. I'm currently using an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13". Mum wants to hand that down to my sister, and get me a new one.

I'm 3rd year engineering, laptop is used mostly for simple web browsing, needs to be portable with good battery life. I also run some engineering software, which I use bootcamp windows for currently. It isn't particularly resource-intensive, I haven't had a problem with my current macbook running engineering software (mostly integrated circuit design/programming type applications).

How is the retina display under windows? Does it look alright? How does software scale to it?

I'm also tempted to go the 15"....how much better is the quad core and dedicated graphics vs the 13"?

Are there are comparable windows laptops I should look at? I have looked around but haven't found much with 1080p or better screen, SSD, similar specs to MBP, as well as the build quality/size/weight.

Also, where is the best place to buy from? I am a student so can get education discount direct from apple, but is it even cheaper through any other retailers?

Cheers

6. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Anyone? I'm purchasing on the 21st so got a bit of time to think. Have spent a lot of time reading and at the moment I'm leaning towards a base spec 15" retina macbook.

7. Philll

Philll Member

Aids

It looks okay, and it can scale up nicely in some ways, but overall (on either W7 or 8, it makes no difference) it's rubbish. All of my Adobe programs don't scale (they do on OSX though) and if I start using an external monitor with a proper res, the scaling is still in place and makes that look off, so I either keep changing the scaling option depending on what I'm doing, or I put up with everything being tiny.

Every browser I used (apart from IE) made everything look bad. Menu bars were too thin, yet menu options were very large. Not to mention images were all blurry as they were being upscaled.

I wouldn't get it for Windows, that's why I'm selling mine, I need Windows, so it's pretty annoying for me. There are just so many things that scaling affects... and just when you think you've sorted it all out using a certain zoom level, you'll find another issue soon enough. It's a pain in the arse.

If you get the 15", the res difference probably isn't as bad as with the 13", so perhaps you could leave it on 100% without it looking too bad.

I will add that the W8 Metro interface scales fine on any setting, but as soon as you leave it you're in a world of pain.

The 650M in the 15" will play anything, so if you're partially getting it for gaming, I'd get that. The 13" has problems with a lot of 3D apps. I can't even render a cube in Photoshop without it packing it in. I can't complain about the CPU though.

This is what I'm considering after I sell my rMBP, it's only 1600x900 but it's small, light and it packs a punch. It's much cheaper than a specced out 13"/15" rMBP too.

I got it from work so I got a discount that way, but I know Foxhound got it as a student and it was cheaper for him, I will nudge him to reply to this topic

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  8. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

if you're wanting to play any sort of game, definitely 15"

i use mine for gaming as well as general use and so far have been able to play all my favourite games no worries.

the best thing is, the screen scales really well to 1920x1200. most modern games wont run @ full 2880 on a beast of a desktop, they look awesome though, but if you scale down to 1920 it still looks perfectly fine and runs much better.

worst case, borderlands 2 for example, i've turned off some of the eye candy to have it run Vsyncd and honestly, comparing to when i play on my desktop you can't really notice the lack of enhancements anyway.

im considering getting a new notebook for gaming over this for one reason - hard drive space. the inability to upgrade the HDD after purchase is the worst thing to ever implement on a notebook, but we all know this before buying. just have to be mindful of what you have installed at any one time.

9. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Thanks guys much appreciated. Lots of stuff to think over. Gaming would be very minimal. Probably basic steam games at most. Maybe some dota 2. I have a desktop PC for gaming though so use that 99% of the time. Every windows laptop I find has ONE thing wrong with it lol.

I guess these would be my absolute requirements for the laptop, which I can't find anything suitable running windows.

- i7 quad core
    - 8gb ram
    - 1080p or better screen
    - Thin and light and small (e.g. retina MBP 15 is about my size limit - I would class my brothers Dell XPS 15z as being too big)
    - Dedicated graphics

Either I'm blind, or rMBP is the only option.

Ah well, I can't purchase until the 21st so got 10 days to keep looking.

I reset my old MBP yesterday and gave it to my sister. I'm already dying without a laptop lol. Had to actually get out of bed and walk 3 meters to my desktop to write this post :p

10. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

have you heard of www.logicalblueone.com.au ?

they have something called the P150EM. perfect for you, not as thing/light as a macbook though. but say more powerful. i priced one up with a 4gb gtx 675mx @ just under $1900 shipped. thats a gaming machine though. otherwise cant recommend the rMBP highly enough

11. ACAlover

ACAlover (Banned or Deleted)

Looked at the new xps 13? Ticks all your boxes, 1.36kg and conforms with intros ultrabook specification

12. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

I checked out the Clevo Horize range. Amazing specs/customisation! Showed my brother and he's keen to buy haha. Too big for me though.

Yeah it looks perfect apart from one thing, no dedicated GFX.

I would like the ability to game on it occasionally. The few times I tried gaming on my old MBP with intel HD3000 was fairly fail unless the game was old, so yeah.

13. ACAlover

ACAlover (Banned or Deleted)

Hd4000 is over double the performance to the 3000, besides unless your getting a gt650 or better the 4000 is going to match it.

14. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

15. FOXH0UND

FOXH0UND Member

Just go through education pricing on the apple store and save yourself an odd $200.

16. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

If you're not building to order then 10% off Macs at DSE/JB/etc. is better than the edu discount.

17. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Luckily I decided to wait an extra week until my student scholarship comes through to pay for the macbook. Lucky because they got a mini-refresh today lol, yay small CPU upgrade :)

Will most likely just buy 15" base model retina from apple store next week, using education discount.

18. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

nice, i havnt looked into it, what upgrade did it get? is it still the same cost?

19. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

The 13" retina is now cheaper, and the 15" got a slight CPU upgrade. :)

Base 13" retina is now $1649.

20. aokman

aokman Member

God this pissed me off, lost like $300 on mine already, Apple definitely ain't what they used to be when it came to resale value, next time I won't bother buying until I leave :lol: