1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Next-gen Nintendo Wii U Announced

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by thebranded, Apr 15, 2011.

1. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Annoyingly found out that the Mario Kart 8 AI is dynamic regardless of difficulty. Wife plays on her own and has a great time and comes in first without issue, we do split screen and I get into first and she gets absolutely destroyed by the AI adjusting to me.

Tested this by completely goofing off and sitting in 12th in split screen and the AI was dumb as shit (and slow) while she wallowed in 1st with no threat.

Doesn't come off as much of a surprise given Mario Kart has always had bullshit AI but it's annoying when my wife wants play and me playing with her results in a shit experience for her by virtue of the AI.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  2. PAFC_1870

PAFC_1870 (Banned or Deleted)

You do realise it's the same basic thing, cel shading?

It's timeless as well, 'realistic' graphics are only good for a limited time...

3. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yes.. But the new one is a lot better looking with better effects etc..

4. zzyss

zzyss Member

Yeah, but that's going down the path towards saying something like "Toy Story 3 is a better movie than Toy Story because the graphics are heaps improved". A game is good if the gameplay and it's "visual style" (not just technical execution) are good.

So yes, Wii U Zelda looks fantastic compared to Wind Waker, but that alone is not a valid reason to criticise WW (graphically or otherwise).

5. PAFC_1870

WindWaker came out in 2003.

So did the original Call of Duty, Burnout 2, Splinter Cell and Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness.

You tell me which is better?

Windwaker is a marvel, a game that got criticised for its art style prior to release, but 11 years on, people put it in very higher regard. Better then Zelda games that came out almost 10 years later too.

Obviously the Wii U will give some extra visuals, it's how many times more powerful? But WW is incredible for it's age, and I think you'd find it hard to find a game that 11 years on looks acceptable by todays expectations.

6. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

MK has always been like this though. That's why you get the 'good' power-ups when you're at the back of the pack. Could also be that you/your wife are just a bit shit at it. :p

When playing with the kids, we almost always end up 1,2,3. With me more often at 3. :upset:

7. Kie

Kie Member

Nah it's different this time. The AI have made multiplayer quite frustrating for 100 and 150cc for the exact reasons PsychoSmiley said. This is the first game where me and my wife have struggled to come 1st and 2nd in each race. The tracks are easier than previous games too, so it's definitely the AI.

8. domdomdom

domdomdom Member

9. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

You miss my point, I have no troubles with playing it. My wife is not as a good as me. She can play on her own fine, but if he split screen I will end up in 1st and stay in 1st however she will get smacked around by the AI adjusting to me being in 1st which frustrates her.

I know the AI is shit and cheats, but it's hard for us to enjoy a game together when she gets destroyed by the AI that is matching to chase me down. With 4 players the AI adjusts the closer players are to the top. So if one player is always coming first, the AI will adjust to get that one person and annoys the shit out of people in the way creating a crap experience for them. It doesn't account for the entire group rather adjusts based on the performance of the leading player.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  10. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I have played MK a fair bit and been playing MK8 with my partner recently and I don't think it works like this.

The game adjusts so that if you fall behind you can get better powerups to catch back up, but I have never noticed the AI being better or worse based on how I race.

I usually win most of the races and she will come in around 4-10, if I crash or what ever and fall behind I just start getting better powerups, the AI is always the same. It wouldn't make sense for it to get harder just because someone is good, what about the other 3 players?

11. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I am aware of the powerups and how they work however the AI's aggressiveness seems adapt and ramp if it's getting trounced, understandably this becomes more apparent as you change difficulties with 150cc the AI blatantly cheating and impossibly matching you.

EDIT: Nintendo even have a patent on their rubberband AI: http://www.google.com/patents/US7278913#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  12. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Interesting, I'll be playing some more over the weekend, will have to see if I notice it more. I always thought that MK always keeps everyone together so no one gets to far in front or behind.

13. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

The experience we've had with playing a fair bit of four player of the last couple of weekends is that when you get into first, you stay in first and everybody else behind you has a hard time catching up.

For example players 1 is always first, player 2-4 trying to squeeze for first but are fighting each other off and having to deal with the rubberbanding AI hitting player 4 all the time. There is so much squabbling going on at the back end that player 1 who is in first only has to deal with the odd random red shell from second place (they'll be hanging something behind for protection) or a blue shell that comes their way way.

The higher the speed the more likely the AI is penetrate the 1-4 positions and give everybody a hard time.

14. Sledge

Sledge Member

15. D.Frost

D.Frost Member

I tested this theory with my sister the other day. When I was in 1st, she often had trouble keeping up with me, ending usually 5th or lower. When I hung back during the race and only made a play for a position on the back end of the 2nd lap/start of the 3rd, she could make it into the top 3 without too much trouble, and then I would usually make it in there myself.

Kinda sucks that you have to manipulate the AI for multiple players to have a fighting chance.

16. lombot

lombot Member

After watching everything at E3 I am now sold on having a Wii U and picked one up yesterday (got the Mario bundle for 378 plus Mario Kart 68) which digital game to take?

17. mctrix

mctrix Member

was that from Big W? It seems that bundle price is for online only?

18. Drewcarey

Drewcarey Member

My wife and I have been playing split screen online multiplayer, give it a try if you don't like the AI.

19. Shimmy

Shimmy Member

Yeah it's only online but you can get it delivered to your local BigW for free and then collect it at the LayBy desk.

Pretty good deal.

20. PAFC_1870

Pikmin 3 would be my pick.

Though you can't go too wrong with most.