Nforce 4 is Out today ??

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Kenetixx, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Kenetixx

Kenetixx (Banned or Deleted)

2. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

actually tomorrow for us as Oct 19 US time is at least 14-17hrs behind us lol

3. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

but still no SLI :( yet

4. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

SLI was mentioned in the one about pricing. It shouldn't be long (Nvidia will probably wait until they've got more PCI-E video cards available).

When they say $199 US for the SLI one, is that the whole mainboard or just the chipset (so the mainboard would be $400AU+)?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  5. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

It would be around $300A if the dollar stays around the 75c mark

6. sandeep

sandeep Member

Wouldn't it be useless to get the nforce 4 cos the amd64 PCI-x isn't out yet???

7. SLATYE

That's if this $199 Nforce4 SLI is actually the whole mainboard. If it's going to cost mainboard manufacturers $199 just for the chipset, then the mainboards will cost a fortune. These'll be the top-end boards, so we can expect them to carry extra SATA RAID and IDE RAID ports, Firewire, probably dual Gigabit LAN, dualBIOS (for Gigabyte), wireless LAN (for Asus), and loads of overclocking options (for Abit).

8. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

mmmm.. if prices are going to be like that then maybe i won't wait.... lol

9. SLATYE

The prices on low-end boards will still be very good, and even the cheap NF4 should give PCI-E support.

The SLI ones don't really matter - the only real reason to get SLI is if you're going to run dual Geforce 6800 series cards, and you'll be paying at least $900 for the cards alone (two 6800NU cards). If you're planning a really good SLI system (dual 6800GTs or Ultras), the cards will be about $1500 and the actual mainboard is pretty cheap in comparison.

10. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

your forgetting the 6600GT's

they are priced at around the $360 - $370 mark from what i've seen...

sure thats still a high'ish price for 2... but my guess is that it'd be one hell of a performer for the price

11. MorbosuS

MorbosuS Member

cheers - nf4 will be interesting to see how the initial lineup of NF4's overclock :D

12. SLATYE

True, but I think a single 6800GT would come out as better value (apart from the fact that it takes less space and doesn't need an expensive mainboard.

The 6600GTs may be viable for people who want to buy one and then get another later, but we'll have to see how Nvidia handles that (hopefully they'll have price-cuts soon).

What I'm really hoping for is a board like the NF7-S was for Socket A - a board which is pretty much the best available for everything, and cheaper than most as well.

13. OP
    OP
    Kenetixx

It might be a bit expensiv e but isnt every bit of new tech. thats released? Look at everything thgat is new when it is first released , how much it cost then 3 months later it might be $100-200 dollars cheaper. Ans it might be better to wait till the Platform is settled in a bit more as no doubt there will be teething problems.

14. tmpreston

tmpreston Member

Review up @ Anandtech

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2248

SLI could be very useful for more than just providing a nice upgrade path.

"Perhaps the most impressive gain here is the performance leap with a pair of SLI 6600GT video cards. Two of these less than $200 cards are actually faster in most benchmarks compared to a single $400 6800GT."

15. Random_Ninja

Random_Ninja Member

Hope theres an AGP version

16. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

Or if you want a cheaper quad monitor setup

17. Lombers

Lombers Feed Me! Feed Me!

Not to rain on the SLI parade here, but so far the only published numbers I have seen have been from Nvidia themselves. So whilst I'd like to believe the numbers I am seeing, it wouldn't be the first time the BullShit department (oops I mean marketing) have skewed figures.

I do believe it'll probably still be worthwhile, but I'd like to see some real figures from a hardware review site with a whole heap of games using different engines, to see if it's only under particular situations where the increase is substantial. Doom3 (even tho the game is rather boring now) is the only one I would take with a grain of salt in those figures as it's engine will definetely be used in future games. As for Halo (let's face it, it blows) and 3DWang2005, I can't say I am interested in those numbers at all.

What I'd really like to see is UT2004 and HL2 engine benchmarks. So I guess it's just a waiting game now until the review sites get their hands dirty with some SLI loving :)

18. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

so nforce 4 won't have AGP at all?

cause as i've said i do want a new board and cpu... so maybe i should wait anyway... if i buy a card now and then by the time i look at a mobo/cpu i can't find a decent one cause it doesn't have AGP that'll suck

of course the current boards will most likely be cheaper... but still.. it'd be nice to have the new board over an older one

19. surgeon

surgeon Member

NForce4 better hurry up and get here as come December Im getting an upgrade and darn it I want PCIe!

20. OP
    OP
    Kenetixx

Yeah looks like no AGP on the newer Nforce4 boards but then again why would they Technology has to keep moving and improving so why stay with the old?, which probably wouldnt do the NForce4 justice IMO.

But still i am looking forward to the Nforce 4 and SLI, and i nearlly upgraded this week to :tongue: Now all i need is about 4 grand for a new SLI set up :confused: