NFS MW: Money Wasted

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by eddie06, Jan 25, 2007.

1. eddie06

eddie06 Member

Review after review, ive heard nothing but NFS most wanted is the best in the series blah blah blah, lots of reviewers have even gone and compared it to Need for speed hot pursuit.

Ill tell you one thing Hot pursuit was a great game, MW isnt even in its leauge even though techically its had a 10 year head start. HP had awesome chases, exotic level design and wild cars to choose from, and most importantly it was fun to play, ever since ive had MW ive been shouting at my fkn computer.

Races are a lot of fun in MW, granted, but the bounty system and cop chases are just fucked up to say the least.

Im not the greatest driving game expert in the world, but ive played and finished EVERY SINGLE NFS game since the series existed and enjoyed them all, even NFS Carbon. Most wanteds cop chases are fun to begin with, but as time goes on theyre rediculously difficult. once you hit the final 3 blacklist members the challenges become just wildly stupid. Youll spend 10 minutes trying to achieve a milestone and out of no where, BAM a spike strip, game OVER and a big F U.

For me each milestone took at least 5-6 replays, and quite often a lot more replays to complete, meaning the majority of my time was spent swearing at my computer (in english and arabic) rather than enjoying the solid fundamentals of the game... such a shame.

Another thing that really shits me, is related to traffic collisions. When i lose a race in any racing game, i dont care, ill happily try again 100x as the challenge and fun in racing games for me is improving my skill. But losing due to traffic collisions? its ok for the game to be challenging and unpredictable but basing every event in the game on pure luck just saps the fun out of it completely. isnt it just co incidental how in MW traffic manages to appear right in front of you after you land your car from a huge jump. Funny how this always happens at the end of a long race as well and hardly ever at the start. Isnt it funny how cars always cut infront of you but not infront of the computers.... isnt it funny that EA employees were paid to make this game?

oh and for the ending..... i havent completed this yet.
    With a tail of 30 police cars + suvs your expected to survive well over 5 minutes and reach a destination on the opposite side of the map just to finish the game. Ive replayed this scenario for the last 1 hou, and all i can say its definatelly the worst part of the game.

Prior to the ending i was still enjoying the game to an extent.... now i cant wait to finish it and try something else.

If you hit a single wall, 50/50 chance your through with if its at low speed.
    Roadblocks come out of no where, you cant use your map and your stuck with a BMW M3 which handles like a mack truck. Pursuit breakers are useless and replaying this scenario more than 5 times is very very TEDIOUS.

I still havent completed the game, and i dont know how I will...

so before you get all hyped up and buy yourself a copy of NFS most wanted, remember, its made by ea...

Id say wait about a month and buy Test Drive unlimited!!!

2. Zuby

Zuby Member

Well in one of the NFS carbon challenges, you actually ARE in a truck. But in carbon you can run over spike strips and still get away, it just gives your car worse handling and top speed...

But all in all I agree, the police chase parts were teh ghey and too long, gladly its not a mandatory element in the newer games.

The thing which sets MW apart is that it has daylight racing. Always racing at night gets a little dull if you ask me.

And if you've ever played underground 1 or 2, then you'll be even more annoyed...cars are scripted to crash into you, especially in drag races.

Does MW online mode still work? EA has a tendency to stop supporting online games - I mean they took down MCO to support Sims Online :sick:

3. DarkNation-

DarkNation- Member

In the end I just used a trainer to give me some stupidly large amount of bounty or w/e that crap was you needed. Made the game slightly easier as I didnt have to so useless runs just to get more points.

The game just becomes a grind at about top 5, I got bored of it.

4. Dr Kildare

Dr Kildare Medic!

I gave up in the top 5 for the same reasons as discussed above. Gets very frustrating!

5. marceta

marceta Member

Most wanted was the greatest need for speed ever IMO - carbon being the shittest. I dont know how to justify it really, I guess I just loved the cars and the gameplay.

Each to their own.

6. OP
    OP
    eddie06

eddie06 Member

the gameplay is better than carbon, but if you like the milestones youve got to much time on your hands lol

7. Iceickle

Iceickle Member

I held in there, took me a few attempts to finish the last mission however... First time, i made it to the bridge (where you finish the mission) but lo and behold, the game crashes as it tries to load the cutscene for the end of the game... sigh. Next attempt (much ater on, as i was very frustrated) i made it to the bridge, but didnt have enough speed to make it over, thanks to a cop ramming me into the wall. So i got it eventually.

As for the challenges, i actually found the heavy SUV one fairly easy, if you get a good run and can find a safe spot to hide, then you are fine. Spike strips are easy to spot, unless they are behind a crest. I don't think i had to do any of the blacklist challenges twice, but the last one was the most difficult by far. And raising enough bounty was a PITA, spending 15 minutes to get it only to get caught.

I've got access to the challenges with regular cars, delivering pizza's etc. now THOSE are painful, the cars are very very slow, handle like a boat and the time constraints are very difficult to complete...

One thing i HATE about this game, playing multiplayer with a friend... I choose my McLaren-Mercedes with every upgrade possible, he choses a stock Golf. So, somehow the cars manage to reach the same speeds within a reasonably similar time, i can go 300km/h, and so can he. Wtf? I understand trying to make the game even, but thats just rediculous. The same happens throughout every race with the AI, they can speed up unfairly to catch you. I miss the good old days of NFS:SE and winning by 5 minutes... :)

8. marceta

marceta Member

actually one chase can get you all the milestones and prerequisits for most of the game.

9. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

Well I finished MW (without cheats/trainers/etc) and I thought it was a pretty sweet game. Now I'm playing my way through the challenges, they are pretty intense. The traffic is annoying, but also entertaining. I love (in the voice of ludacris) 'weaving through traffic'.
    A few things really do annoy me tho, cop cars. They are overpowered at the highest level. Even at 395km/h in my lambo, they are impossible to outrun. Honestly...
    And you can't do 180degree handbrake turns. At least I haven't managed it yet.
    I want to try carbon, but the thought of nighttime driving and a pre set 'drift' mode sounds ghey.

10. TX3

TX3 Member

If they brought out Underground 2 again with the latest graphics I would buy it. Other than that Carbon was just a weird NFS with stupid physics especially the very unrealistic drifting. Most Wanted was a very basic game aimed at a storyline and has the best gameplay and graphics to date IMO.

11. BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

+1 for widescreen support, otherwise all the cars look like they have the phattest wide rice-glass bodykits around!

12. FB008

FB008 Member

i thought carbon was a POS. the stupid drift mode really wrecked it i thought... not to mention truck-like handling.

MW was quite fun though. though at times i got frustrated trying to break my own records. but the spike strips can be avoided in 2 ways:
    a) listen to cop radio
    b) use speedbrake (ala bullet time)

i found the milestones to be relatively easy, only got annoyed when i needed to hit 50+ cops and sometimes you don't get reinforcements :p but once you get to know the cop AI, it's not so hard trust me - even despite their ability to keep up with you even at 395 kph+ :lol:

traffic i thought isn't as bad, sure you slow down but no way near as slow as in NFSU1. at least catch up is no way near as bad as NFSU1 IMO, especially after those 7 lap races... and stupid catch up AI made it worse!

13. the _rick

the _rick Member

meh, chases aren't that difficult

use the persuit breakers and hides

there are also a few hides you can use where the cops can see you, but cant get to you (bus station/prison) easy pass the 15min mark at Lv7 heat

there is always an out on spike strips, dont you listen to the banter on the cop radio "spikes on the left", jeez, i always ram the cars anyway, adds to bounty. i got about 5mil on one persuit

its the drags that shit me, repetitive, cars always appear the same time, crapola

the drift in carbon the same, but i got good at that eventually

14. jarryd98

jarryd98 Member

Yeah, um NFS games have been total and utter crap after porsche 2000.
    It and everything before it was gold. However I feel sometime after "the fast and the furious" came out they decided to cash in with all the trendwhores who suddenly found ricers cool etc.
    Bring back the old NFS I say!

15. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

I thought most wanted was the best nfs game I've played.

Granted I've only played a few but MW definitetly was fun, however now it is not.

Similar to Quake 4, great fun the first time, only got 1/10th through the second time.

16. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I never bothered to finished Carbon. I sat down to try it out when it was released, played for maybe an hour, and the Carreer completed % was at 30something. I thought that was absolutely pathetic that I would likely finish the campaign in 5 hours. So I didnt bother with it. The races are fun though but I certainly wouldnt' advise anyone to buy the game. Borrow it off a mate for an afternoon, finish the single player, drive the Koeniggsec and a big ass Charger and then you'll be tired of it most likely. The cinematics are very nice though, very well done adding real actors into the game world, would like to see that in other games also.

Edit: Also I finished Most Wanted and I found the campaign VERY easy. However I hated how as you progress you inevitabley have to do 6 or so lap races which are tedious and annoying. In carbon I avoided lap races like the plague but from watching my brother play it, I don't think they get any races as long as that.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  17. Snoochems

Snoochems Member

I'm with you dude. Carbon is a step backwards, while MW was a blast. I do agree with most peoples sentiments though, as I gave up on the last level. Never did finish it, and my car was the kick-arse-iest car possible.

18. NiTeHaWk

NiTeHaWk Member

pffft the end of the game was easy. Passed it first go.

Get some skill :p

Though i was hating the repetitive nature of most wanted, it stopped being fun at times getting those last few milestones.

I finished the game in about 2 weeks which is longer than other nfs titles. NFSU1 was finished in 2 days.

19. houseofzeus

houseofzeus Member

I agree also. Most wanted was the only NFS game worth playing in a very long time.

20. OP
    OP
    eddie06

eddie06 Member

actually i picked it up yesterday and finished the ending first time. probably too fustrated for my own good the other day :p

I found changing the camera view to "outside" helped a lot as well, (usually i play from the bonet view), especially when the AI tries to trap you on a wall...

now that i finished it i guess it wasnt so bad. Might give it a few goes online but overall i still think the earlier titles keep the name going. They were the trendsetters of the day, and level design was awesome even with the graphical limitations of the day. I especially loved NFS Hot pursuit, id go as far as to say it is is my 2nd favourite racer next to the original Gran Turismo.

MW dragged on a bit at the end, and what shitted me is the final race was piss easy (out ran victor on the last race by over 10 seconds), yet the final milestone challenge was un necessarily hard....

Couldve been a better game imo, i miss the old days of racing in far out country towns and exotic landscapes with ruins, bridges and inter mountain tunnels.....