NiceHash

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Agg, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Agg

Agg Administrator

I literally started playing with it only a couple of days ago now we have solar.. was considering buying a cheap 1070 yesterday. But late yesterday I wasn't getting any results reported and the client couldn't connect properly.. and today I see this news:

https://www.nicehash.com/

Unfortunately, there has been a security breach involving NiceHash website. We are currently investigating the nature of the incident and, as a result, we are stopping all operations for the next 24 hours.

Importantly, our payment system was compromised and the contents of the NiceHash Bitcoin wallet have been stolen. We are working to verify the precise number of BTC taken.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...-it-was-hacked-over-50-million-bitcoin-stolen

Ouch.

2. mr626

mr626 Member

Winminer is a similar style of miner, if that's what you are after.

https://www.winminer.com/

Unfortunately with Nicehash, for a long time they were encouraging people to use the Nicehash wallet (easier for new people to setup, lower mining fees etc). I suspect that is where the majority of the stolen BTC have come from.

I'm far from an expert, but one thing I'll always do is use an offline wallet

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  3. Buddha

Buddha Member

ledger nano arrived tues ... planned to setup and withdraw my 0.26 btc from Nicehack on fri. ........ gutted.

4. 426

426 Member

Almost exactly the same boat...Was only pointed there as I was busy at work and didnt want to devote as much time into optimising pools/coins myself.

Can't see how they could reimburse, possibly with reduced fees perhaps, but the trust is smashed...
    Currently mining XMR direct on failover, suppose now its time to set up for ETN.

5. AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

If NiceHash had there BTC balance stolen then I don't see why that will effect us as miners. Our balance is still showing in the client, Unless they go bust I don't see any reason they will reset our balance to zero. Hash power buyers will be a different story I think.

6. mr626

mr626 Member

If you are mining with Nicehash, you fall into two camps:

-Use a Nicehash wallet, payouts go there
    -Use some other wallet, payouts go there

If you are in the first group, you've lost your entire wallet balance + whatever amount hadn't been paid out yet
    If you are in the second group, you've lost whatever amount hadn't been paid out yet.

Happy to be corrected if the above isn't accurate, but that is my basic understanding of things.

7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Wow wow wow, that's a solid hack.

8. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Damn, have $150USD in there and would explain the persistent dropouts i was getting last night on it as I get an email each time

9. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Administrator

My morning went from "wow, a spike in BTC, what the hell I'll buy that video card with BPAY from my BTC profit so it'll be free" to "bah, NiceHash has been hacked, guess I'll just stick to holding".

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  10. Gunna

Gunna Member

The people selling hash power are paid buy useers buying hash power. Any BTC balance that was unpaid or sitting in the nice hash wallets are potentially lost.

11. AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

Damn, I'm hoping NiceHash covers Miners loss as we are the ones producing the hash. Same could be said for those requesting hash and paying fiat however. It will be interesting to see how NH handles the aftermath of this one. In a perfect world we get paid and they get refunded but that could crush them financially so its unlikely.

12. Gunna

Gunna Member

SO would their reputation if it was discovered they had the funds to do so and didn't

13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

14. 426

426 Member

Its been suggested that they could reduce/remove the fees of the users affected until they have recovered their losses before returning to default settings.

This would only work if they actually implemented such a thing, and enough people continued to use the service.

15. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

how many cards do you have going?

16. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Administrator

None, I am late to the party and only started looking into it a few days ago. :) Just pondering it given the crazy price of BTC lately and having recently set up solar power at the AggCave.

17. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

1 x 1080ti is making about $20/day currently

but i would not be jumping in now with this hack when it hits the MSM may cause a panic sell off like with MtGox

Personally im selling all I currently hold excet my crypto kitties :) as I suspect we may be in for a hard landing from these highs.

18. Gunna

Gunna Member

I dont think so.

1 x 1080i is getting about 35mh/s on Ethereum and certainly does ot compete with a 6 GPU rig which is only getting $10 a day on eth

19. Skramit

Skramit Member

Dammit lost $10.

20. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

whos mining ETH on 1080ti -- your doing mining wrong if that is what your doing