1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nikon D800 first pictures

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Schnooper, Nov 20, 2011.

1. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

I think you'll find they'll only do that 20% discount on stock, and even then, I'm sure it's only on selected stock as well (ie, stuff that's not newer then 3-6 months).

2. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

They seem to do it with people getting 5D3s the other day....

3. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Seriously? If that's the case go for it! Just seems very unusual.

4. harpie

harpie Member

There is a huge whirlpool thread on it and I myself have put a $600 deposit on a d800 over the phone at myer Melbourne last week during their 20% off sale. I assure you it works but only at selected myers. Shipping is $10 only as well.

5. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

Damn!!!... missed out. Just got a $18k payout from work and was hoping to secure a deal for some new gear for business...

Any one know if its still doable?

6. harpie

harpie Member

You havent missed it,
    You can get the $10 for every $100 gift card until tomorrow
    The 20% off sale is on Tuesday.
    Just ring Melbourne city store or you capital city store to confirm that you will get the 20% off on Tuesday, I think its supposed tp be a Myer one exclusive

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/71549

The draw backs are - it's likley to be 1-2 month wait for supplies and you have to buy 3000k of Myer gift cards outright first (big outlay and no camera for 2 months!)
    Is the saving worth it for you? It was for me as I have preordered already last week when they also had the 20% off. Now that I am on the preordered list it is worth getting the extra 9.09% off using the gift cards. You may buy the 3000 wirth og gift cards and on Tuesday Myer may refuse to offer the 20% for the D800. Unlikey accordng to past form but still a risk. You cant then transfer the giftacrds back to cash.

7. OP
    OP
    Schnooper

Schnooper Member

I went into Myer Rundle Mall (Adelaide city) and inquired about a Nikon D800. The girl was very helpful, but she looked on the computer and said that is not a stock item for them. :shock:

So before buying a heap of gift cards, you guys might wanna double check.

8. BeastHouse

BeastHouse Member

They order them in. Many people have bought them from Myer. You might want to go and check it out at Myer again. I know because I ordered a D800E from them.

9. kwax

kwax Member

holy bat shit. You could do bugs without a macro!

10. OP
    OP
    Schnooper

Schnooper Member

Yeah I didnt push the point too hard. She gave me a confused look when I said the model number, spent a number of minutes look at the computer and came up with nothing. She also mentioned that she hadnt heard of that model before.

No real drama.

11. BeastHouse

BeastHouse Member

Give Myer in Melbourne or North Ryde a call. They will order and mail them for 10 bucks.

12. OP
    OP
    Schnooper

Schnooper Member

Doesnt really matter now. I picked up my D800 from another non-Myer store. Very happy with the camera. Now just gotta buy some more lenses. Running around with a 50mm f1.8. :thumbup:

13. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

Now that I'm back from my honeymoon its time to bite the bullet and decide whether to offload the D3s for a 800E or not. D3s is currently in the shop having a sensor clean in preparation for a potential sale :)

I know I'll lose a little ISO capability and a few fps which is only really an issue on the odd occasion when Im doing hand-held bracketing for some HDR ie. nearly never. But I should pick up some image sharpness as well as all that resolution, handy on the equally odd occasion that I would be printing something BIG.

Decisions, decisions.... Has anyone else done the same change-over?

14. BeastHouse

BeastHouse Member

Which model of the 50? I have a 1.8 D that will go on mine for the first few weeks. Don't hate me...

15. OP
    OP
    Schnooper

Schnooper Member

I have just got the cheaper AF model same as yours. Which is a pretty good lens for the dollars. And TBH the res out of the camera is farkn awesome. :shock:

There does seem to be a shortage of Nikkor FX lenses at the moment in AU. I have been hunting around for the 70-200 f2.8 VRII without much luck - but I havent really looked too hard either.

I have just pruchased a 28-300 *sticks on flame proof suit - and yeah yeah I know they arent great* which I will be using as my travel lens and will be good enough to get me by for the time being. Once I can save up some cash, I will go and buy the 70-200. Once I get around to listing my D90, 18-200, and Nikon grip I sure that will help with funds. :D

16. viet_mafia

viet_mafia Member

I jumped from a D3S to a D800 and to be honest - I wish I stuck with the D3S.

The extra resolution is nice but the I find I hit the FPS wall quite often simply taking photos of my niece running around.
    I like my D800 very much, but I LOVED my D3S - the tank-slap from the shutter, the ridiculous noise performance, and the blazing FPS.

If I could do it again, I would have held out for a D4 - I think 16mp + improved D3S features would be absolutely perfect middle ground for me.

17. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

Thanks mate, this is the kind of feedback I was after.

Once the D3s comes back from its service maybe I will just hang onto it. Walking around Europe and shooting with mates with D700 and 7000s it was the running joke about the shutter slap like a sherman tank...clunk thunk :)

The difference between 4 and 9fps is reasonably substantial, but it is pretty rare that I'm shooting kids or pets...

Good to see that the D800 also has the Quiet shutter function for weddings and anything else in a church!

I cant justify the D4 though, it was actually too much of a stretch for me to splurge on the D3s

18. viet_mafia

viet_mafia Member

If I were you, I'd find someone with a D800 to see if you can have a play with it (or even find a store with one in stock so you can give it a try, but fat chance of that :D).

19. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

I have a d800.. available for 'testing'

20. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

Thanks for the offer, very kind of you, but Im catching up with another mate who picked up a 800E a few weeks ago over the weekend :)

Hopefully I can decide after that!