1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nikon FF Mirrorless is officially coming!

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by SyN, Jul 25, 2018.

1. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Seems to me that they've basically just made mirrorless versions of the D850 and D750. For a company like Nikon, I'm glad they seem to have got the majority of things right on the first go but I agree the single slot thing is very strange. Probably wouldn't affect me too greatly as I'm not really doing any paid work these days but I can understand how it would be a deal breaker, especially for people who shoot high volume critical stuff.

I'm also a bit disappointed they don't seem to have managed eye detection as this is probably my biggest 'woah' thing from the Sonys and would make portraiture a lot easier.

I'm still very keen to see what comes of the Z mount. I'm hoping the dimensions of it will allow some super wide lenses with smaller footprints (i.e. a 14/15mm that I can use my 100mm filters on). Don't really care too much about the super wide aperture stuff like the Noct other than the 'oh that's pretty cool' factor.

Happy enough with my D810 for now. If it came to be that I needed a backup body, I might consider one of these but will probably just buy the 2nd or 3rd iteration once my D810 gets really long in the tooth.

2. OP
    OP
    SyN

SyN Member

How important is dual card slot, or is it just something to complain about?

It doesnt have "Eye-AF", but that is just what Sony calls it. Nikon has always had 3D tracking, which can track faces too
    My D90 from 10 years ago can track a face via Viewfinder or Live View. Now of course it wont be good as the top dogs of today, but I'm willing to bet the Z6 Z7 wont be far behind the gen3 A7s in practical application.

3. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Extremely for anyone who is being paid to take photos of unrepeatable events (weddings, sports, journalism etc) which is almost every working professional.

Eye AF just allows for an even more precise form of AF. Yes, it has face detect and that will do the job pretty well in the majority of circumstances.

Aratahu likes this.
  4. Xang

Xang Member

I photograph weddings as my full-time job. If I shot a single card camera and something happened to that card, I would be completely fucked. I would never buy a single-slot camera for work purposes.

Nikon's 3D-tracking is better than Sony's, however eye-AF is even better for that purpose. Eye AF doesn't even require you to find the subject first, just hit the button and it will find the eye anywhere in the frame. It's incredible.

Aratahu likes this.
  5. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

If you actually get paid to take photos of people, and you have used a camera with eye AF, then you can't go back. I don't even select focus point anymore on my A7R III.

As for the 3D tracking with the way it is implemented right now on the Nikon, I think the Lock on AF on the Sony works. better.

If this is how the Canon FF mirror-less looks next year, then Sony can just release an updated version of all their cameras with the faster sensor readout from the A9, and be a whole generation ahead of everyone again.

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Single slot.. so pretty much every pro has gone.. nope now.

If people were on the fence about going to Sony it only consolidates it now. Also there isnt really anything in there that is impressive. It feels a gen behind in whats being offered and you are still adapting glass. The glass is crazy expensive as well. I already had planned my Sony switch but this had peaked my interest and at least it didnt make the decision hard.

7. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Found some more info on this...

"Short weigh-in on the Nikon Z7 issue thus far not really addressed:

Its AF will only do -1EV unless the lens paired is f2 or faster. You read that right. So your $2500 70-200 and 24-70 2.8 lenses will only work down to -1EV. In 2018...

It’ll do -4EV with f/2 or faster lenses.

Read: it will only do better than -1EV with some primes.

So much for low light shooting."

This is not good at all.

Attached Files:

8. jars121

jars121 Member

Yeah fair call, I can see how the single slot is an absolute deal breaker from a pro's perspective.

9. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

That is what I thought. I know the first thing the early adopters are going to moan about is the low light AF, and they would be right to do so.

10. OP
    OP
    SyN

SyN Member

I agree 2 slots is better than one, I personally havent had any card failure.. would XQD be more failure resistant?

11. OP
    OP
    SyN

SyN Member

I agree 2 slots is better than one, yet I personally havent had any card failure.. would XQD be more failure resistant? Anyone got experience?
    And it seems Nikon hasn't aimed the Z6 and Z7 at pros. Besides the dual slots, it hasnt advertise for the traditional pro selling points such as robustness/weather-resistance, buffer, pro AF etc
    edit: oh dead giveaway is the PASM dial on Z7/Z6 unlike the mode dial pro cameras have

In addition:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  12. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

i wonder how many more traditional slr's nikon will make? prob have to wait and see how many pro's actually switch.

13. stevo4

stevo4 Member

I'd say zero.

Not with these models.

D850 owners are not going to be lining up to switch to what is at best amateur equipment.

For what? A slightly smaller body that will make jack difference when coupled with a big lens.

14. OP
    OP
    SyN

SyN Member

The nikon 3x00 and 5x00 are the mass selling units. The pro DSLR line will still be made for the foreseeable future, especially as traditional and how slow to change Nikon is.

Even for myself I try to tell myself I dont need the Z6/Z7
    Need adaptor, no AF/AF-D support, no inbuilt flash/CLS, less robust, more expensive, XQD format and barely lighter than D750

15. jars121

jars121 Member

I don't think I even own any AF-S lenses any more, so for me to move across to the Z6/Z7 it'd likely mean an entire setup overhaul. Having said that, I still don't really get the appeal of mirrorless, I've always used full-bodied DSLRs (D2x, D3 and now D3s), and will probably do so for the foreseeable future. It might be my love of analog photography, but something about an EVF (even a really good EVF) just doesn't sit right with me.

16. sejanus

sejanus Member

I honestly can't think of a single advantage other than battery life of evf vs optical. It has improved my shooting & my end results to customers out of sight.

17. Xang

Xang Member

- AF point spread
    - Eye AF
    - Zero micro-adjust necessary
    - More accurate AF
    - Exposure, DoF & WB preview before you take the shot
    - Silent shooting
    - Faster top shutter speed
    - Review images in the viewfinder (great on sunny days)

Maybe none of these apply to you. But that's the appeal.

Aratahu likes this.
  18. sejanus

sejanus Member

and no viewfinder blackout on the a9 is just god mode for candids

19. jars121

jars121 Member

All perfectly valid points! My apologies, I didn't mean to come off as disparaging of mirrorless/EVF at all, I totally understand all the benefits, I meant it more from a 'it doesn't appeal to me and the way I like to shoot' perspective.

20. Xang

Xang Member

No disparagement taken ;) Some people just genuinely don't think of those advantages.