1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nikon FF Mirrorless is officially coming!

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by SyN, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I still just dont understand this mindset. If its pitched towards the top tier of their users who are committed and love buying the gear, and they see where Sony is at.. then why not just produce the best they can straight up?

Surely on first release if you capture the market and only promise to show where it can potentially go from here then you gain the extra trust from the user base that they are taking the wants of the market and producing the cameras for it. Yes Sony has had multiple generations up to this point, but then they were working their way through to where they are now by taking the market who wanted something different off the other brands.

This is literally someone who is waiting for the time to switch. I have a Sony a73 already and I am blown away by the way it performs. However being that I have yet to commit, I could have easily gone to a different brand if it showed its commitment to that next line. I am not holding my breath for Canon in a couple of weeks.. and my switch is purely based around I came back from 3 months overseas and straight into my wedding season and I rather not rock the boat until I have time to make the switch in full.

Anyway its just my 2c but I feel like we have a broad spectrum of the market here on the forums and I dont really see anyone saying wow this is blowing my mind I cant wait for this.

2. Xang

Xang Member

You're crazy Jack, it's their first go and it's not aimed at pros anyway and their next camera will probably maybe be better so just buy a full lineup of F glass and get on the Z bandwagon

3. jars121

jars121 Member

Yeah Jack you're being completely unreasonable, just give our Nikon overlords their money and be thankful :leet:

4. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

Anyone here who has a mirrorless, what’s so great about them? I know they’re lighter but it’s not by much with the FTZ converter.

I’ve on,y recently bought the D850 so I’m not buying the Z7 but I’d look at the second generation next time round.

5. jars121

jars121 Member

I posed a similar question 1 or 2 pages back and Xang put together a really good list of benefits:

6. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

I think it may be the best they can do at this point in time (given constraints on size, costs, processing power, target market etc).
    Like i said, they arent trying to pull in new users from Sony/Canon, its designed for Nikon people.

They have some things better than Sony, and some things worse, as always people need to look at what they want.

If i wasnt invested already in Nikon (and really like the ergonomics and build quality), and wasnt shooting sports/wildlife then i'd be all in on Sony already.

7. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I’ve been using Nikon for over 30 yrs, the reason I keep using them is the lenses, they’re fabulous and I can use the same lenses now that I’ve had 30yrs. Seems that will remain the case with the FTZ adaptor. It’s expensive selling up lenses and buying a new set, so if you have a collection it’s hard to change.

This Nikon’s first effort, I’ll wait for the second.

Out of curiosity, what’s so much better about Sony, are their lenses better coz that what counts?

8. Xang

Xang Member

The main reasons I swapped were the AF (including Eye AF) and silent shooting. After swapping I became thoroughly addicted to the zero-blackout viewfinder, it would take a LOT for me to use main bodies without it now.

I've found that almost all modern pro lenses are of a satisfactory standard. If you average it out over a whole system (I'm talking pro level only) I'd be hard pressed to pick a winner, it just depends if the particular strengths of a lens lineup apply more to your own work.

Canon - fantastic range, plenty of TS-E and superteles. 35L II is amazing, 24-70 II is great. 50L is junk.
    Nikon - also have a huge range. No good 50mm or 85mm. The 105/1.4 is magnificent.
    Sony - less niche lenses but the main bases are covered. Their 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 are spectacular. Their 35mm is average. No 24mm prime yet although there is the Batis 25/2 and the 24GM is rumoured to be out very soon.

Swapping entire systems is obviously a pain and I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. But in terms of evaluating new cameras, they have to be measured against their competition. If you're forever committed to a single system then there's not much to evaluate, new cameras will beat old cameras 99.9% of the time.

9. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

How can you not like the Nikon 85 f1.4G? I actually use a number of Zeiss lenses in f mount.

10. OP
    OP
    SyN

SyN Member

They gotta reserve features and iron out the bugs before they can do a proper pro one. I think theyve done a good job at competing against A7iii and A7Riii
    If I didnt have so many old lenses and recently bought the D750 I would probably get the Z6. Then exploit the second hand market of cheap and wonderful AF-S lenses
    Another biggie people claim with the Z6 is full sensor width 4k with 10bit out via recorder. Not my thing but there are quite some advantages of the Z. Although some points should be debated, dpreview makes athe comparison:

Reminder that you won't have autofocus with AF-D lenses with the FTZ adaptor, and after you add the adaptor the depth of the camera wont be any less than DSLR
    One thing we forget is the complexity of DSLR mirror slapping mechanism. It needs to be super precise in manufacture and is another thing to break, so it is a factor of the overall cost of the camera.
    So that makes one inherit benefit of mirrorless system

11. Xang

Xang Member

Despite its great sharpness and bokeh, the AF hit rate at f/1.4 isn't good enough to rely upon. I reluctantly shot with it for a while until I could replace it with the 105/1.4 which solves that issue and is the best lens I have ever used.

Aratahu likes this.
  12. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I guess you’d still get focus indication though? I’ve still got a 50mm 1.4 and a 1.8 in D type. I’m curious to see how the electronic viewfinder works out with manual focus, I have a bunch of manual focus, all my Zeiss, the PC-E Nikons and some macro - they’re the lenses I use most.

As for the lower manufacturing costs, I don’t think that has much to do with the actual price they charge for their cameras, it’s whatever the market will bare with the competition out there.

13. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Focus peaking is all you need really. Love using my tilt shifts adapted on the Sony with peaking.. its a breeze

14. OP
    OP
    SyN

SyN Member

In the VF you might even get the right arrow-dot-left arrow thing for focus confirmation by PD for single focus point

It does make a difference. The newly announced D3500 is cheaper than the D3400 because of cost optimisation. A cost cut here and there will add up after the distributor/retailer etc all add on a margin. Then warranty and after-sales is one more factor. Especially since its directly competing with the A7's, I think cost is very relevant.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  15. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

should go nicely on a z6/7 with no MFA to worry about! :thumbup:

Pretty bang on with your lens vs company lineup.
    Sony's lack of telephotos is what kills me - again always depends what you shoot!

16. stevo4

stevo4 Member

For comparison only.

As for suggesting that it was being pitched as a replacement for the D850/D5...I don't think so.
    Fails on ergonomics for starters.
    Lack of selection on lens, pretty much kills that thought.

17. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I think there is really no debate here if you get paid to shoot, or care about the photos you take. With mirror-less cameras, you don't have to deal with front or back focusing on lenses. That alone will have me never going back to SLRs ever again.

Canon is supposed to be having an announcement next week. If that is the case then it is GAME ON!!! and also an indicator of what we all know: the days of SLR cameras are numbered.

18. Xang

Xang Member

The thrill of taking a lens out of the box, mounting it on the camera and knowing it will focus perfectly straight away is not lost on me. As someone who obsessed over micro-adjust with DSLR's it is INCREDIBLE to have that whole issue simply disappear.

19. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

What if it’s the lens that’s out or can’t that happen with mirrorless?

20. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Nikons done an ok job .. But Canons ff entry looks a bit better with the rumoured lenses... And also Panasonic now also rumoured to be releasing ff mirrorless ... Competition!