1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nikon FF Mirrorless is officially coming!

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by SyN, Jul 25, 2018.

1. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I have yet to see that happen with a Mirrorless camera. This is because, as the sensor and the focus module is one and the same, it is almost self checking the focus. Nikon did this whole convoluted thing with the D850 so that it can use the sensor live view to do it's own micro adjustments, but they could have just avoided having to develop that whole thing if the D850 had no mirror and separate focus module.

Now a lens can be de-centered, that does not change, but if the camera thinks it is in focus then it is 100% of the time with mirrorless (in my experience).

2. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

Does the mirrorless then also overcome the issues with metering on TS lenses? That would be very cool.

I’m going to miss the shutter sound though, it just won’t feel like you’re taking a photo, more like using an iPad.

3. jars121

jars121 Member

Still has a shutter? No mirror slap though obviously.

4. Xang

Xang Member

Not really a matter of the 'lens being out'...the camera measures the focus difference, there's no margin of error, boom - perfect focus.

If the lens can't rack focus fast enough, if the sensor can't get enough contrast, if the lens is just soft, obviously those things can still affect the image. But the days of focus adjustment are over.

5. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

When they’re more available I’ll go into Melbourne and have a look at one. I can see things like not having to do MLU very appealing. It’s unlikely I’ll buy the first generation because I have the D850 but I’ll probably go that direction for my next camera.

With the size of the Z mount, which looks huge, I’m wondering if they’ll consider going to a medium format or somewhere in between size sensor in future.

6. OP
    OP
    SyN

SyN Member

People are more concerned with the number of memorys slots than sensor size and image quality :lol:
    Lets see how the interwebz reacts to the new Canon single slot FF mirrorless :tired:

7. fcyde

fcyde Member

No IBIS, deal breaker. To a lesser extent, no eye AF.

8. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

Nah, we’re a society of dedicated whiners, they need something to complain about or they’re unhappy. My D850 has two slots but the SD slot slows the XQD card so a lot of people don’t use it, I don’t.

When people get their hands on it the crap will go away.

spectre257 likes this.
  9. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

The Z7 has a buffer of about 17 photos. It's not the SD card that would slow it down.

I shoot JPG to the second card on my D810. Not ideal but better than nothing.

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yeah depends what you need, I use a 300mb/s UHSII card and its fast but not seamless like the XQD
    XQD would clear that small buffer a lot quicker i expect.

In the end its not a camera made for sports or actions (hence why my D4/D850 wont be going anywhere)

11. OP
    OP
    SyN

SyN Member

if XQD is 400MB/s then theoretically you can offload about ten 40MB photos onto it per second without the buffer depleting?
    Thats seems pretty crazy to be shooting RAWs continuously at that speed...

12. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

My Z6 is on pre-order, the US ones have started shipping so hopefully have mine in the next few weeks.
    Have a wedding and some sports stuff lined up and it will be my general use body so should get a good handle on it soon after

13. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I just tried my Canon T/S lens on my Sony mirrorless for the first time, and you are correct - perfect exposure!

As a recent convert to mirrorless, I can also confirm the lack of shutter feel is disappointing. And having a sound file that has no relationship to the actual exposure length is like having speakers on an electric car making engine noises.

14. Xang

Xang Member

You can still use the mechanical shutter if you prefer.

15. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I think the Z7 would be a very good camera for me, mainly do landscape, but I bought the D850 and that will have to do me for a long time. Maybe the next generation of mirrorless.

16. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Its why i skipped the Z7, too similar to my D850 to bother (and far more expensive to boot)
    Z6 arrives today, just need to get rid of my old A7rii to replenish some funds

17. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I think the price of the D850 has just fallen over time, I expect that when the street price reduces on the Z7 the two cameras might become more on par, might look at changing then if the feature look worthwhile.

18. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yep quite likely, i bought my D850's about 6 months apart and with cashbacks and ebay discounts ended up about $700 cheaper

19. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

well got mine today and first impressions are good.
    Really similar functionality and controls to my D850 - winning.
    Ergonomically for me soooo much better than my A7rii
    FTZ functionality seems perfect - considering i have no Z-mount glass this is good!
    EVF is fantastic, and being further out from the body is great

also suprised to get an XQD reader and 32gb XQD card which saves me some $$'s
    still need to test with my longer glass and get some test shots done

20. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I’ll be very interested in your feedback after a month or so of using it. It’s a shame you didn’t buy the Z7, be interesting which you tend to go for after having both at your disposal. I guess if you grab the Z6 instead of the D850 then the mirrorless is a clear winner but if you grab the D850 I’d be interested to know if that’s because of the resolution.