1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nikon - Using DX glass on FX

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by rifraf, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Shotkit

Shotkit New Member

After a few months, are you happy with your D500? It's a great camera! I think you definitely made the right decision. There's no point putting DX glass on an FX body...

2. OP
    OP
    rifraf

rifraf Member

Yes I'm happy enough with my decision.
    The D500 is a much speedier unit than my D7000.
    Very, very noticeably even without the XQD memory stick which I've yet to acquire.

I've not utilised it as much as I'd have liked.
    I've lived most of my life in much cooler climes and Perth has been both very hot, IMHO, and very blustery this summer, compared to some I've had over here.
    I've been a little wary of taking it out given that in the northernmost suburbs where I'm staying, is akin to wandering about in a sandblaster currently which is neither enjoyable for me nor my gear.
    WA is a big sandpit and I wish I'd listened harder when I was warned within the OC'ers forum of this fact about how windy it is.

I just picked up a used Nikon 17-55mm to try out.
    It makes the combo a pretty weighty affair and I can't see it coming along much on the bicycle.
    Still it will be interesting for me to see what creative opportunities it opens up compared to the feather weight AF-P 18-55 VR and 35 and 50mm primes.

Not many lenses left on my wish list now.
    I'm thinking a 20mm f1.8, an AF 180mm and once those have been acquired, I'll decide between a 300 VR PF or a 200-500 VR.

3. SyN

SyN Member

how come noone mentioned the D750? insanely good value and a bit more respectable than D610

4. OP
    OP
    rifraf

rifraf Member

It wasn't on special on the big JBHIFI deals at the time.
    They had very heavy discounts on a select few units and I felt the best bang for buck at the time was between the D500 and the D810.
    I was struggling to make a purchase decision between the two of them, hence the thread.
    I've read of many satisfied D750 users so in no way a slight on the very capable camera.
    The D3400 and D7000 sold quickly so I achieved my desire to get down to a single unit compatible with the lenses I wanted to use which wasn't as easy as it sounds given that when the AF-P range came out, there was a lot of confusion about which bodies could be used with which lenses.
    Nikon has still failed to provided the updates which were suggested as "coming" for full compatibility with some still current cameras.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  5. spectre257

spectre257 Member

My D800 works fine with the AF-P 70-300 VR when I tested it the main issue is that the lens will not remember its focus position when the cameras goes into standby mode so you'll need to refocus and no manual focus override.

6. stevo4

stevo4 Member

Some one here is yet to point out that AFS lenses have a Silent Wave Motor in them (SWM), and is what all their lenses that feature VR image stabilization have.

AFP lenses use a stepping motor and as far as I know don't feature Nikon's VR image stabilization.

7. OP
    OP
    rifraf

rifraf Member

VR is indeed an option on the AF-P lenses as it is on other DX lenses e.g.. 18-55 and 55-200mm.

I think the FX AF-P 70-300 only comes in VR flavour whilst all the DX AF-P so far offers the option of with or without (except the latest DX AF-P 10-20mm VR)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  8. stevo4

stevo4 Member

^^^ You are correct.
    Initially it was not the case.
    Soon as I see DX I usually don't bother reading anymore wrt the lens being shown in an advert etc. Hence I haven't been paying attention as to when VR was a feature with AF-P lens.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018