Nikon Z mk2's

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by lonewolf1983, Oct 15, 2020.

1. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Released yesterday, more of a "s" than a mk2 but i guess thats just a name.

Improved in a number of areas based on my previous z6 ownership (that led me to sell it)
    dual slots - nice
    more fps speed - nice - makes the z7ii a bit more of an option for me with sports
    more buffer - same as above
    eye-AF in a different AF mode - this is really useful but not as good as Sony

May look at a z7ii when prices calm down since my D850 carked it from water damage

2. Xang

Xang Member

Oh wow, Nikon made an A7iii.

Deftone2k likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Almost, has better fps, better buffer, better card slots, better ergonomics, better evf and screen, better compressed raw
    AF still a bit behind though I expect but cheaper

Few similarities but thats what you get accross all segments now

4. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Did you properly drown it or was it from being splashed?

Yeah, pretty much nothing revolutionary for quite some time, just iterative evolutionary changes. Normally it takes someone who is a niche/minor player to come up with something dramatically different to force a reaction from the larger players in the market.

5. Xang

Xang Member

All of those things are true, I admit. Nothing particularly exciting amongst them though.

I still feel that the Z system is an utter faillure, and Nikon will be out of business soon. Holding onto existing customers because their lenses already fit will only last you so long.

6. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

I have a soft spot for Nikon, as I've been shooting their cameras for years (I've had the F80, F100, D80, D700, D800E, D810, D750 and D850 in the last 20 years). But currently my main camera is a Fujifilm X system, but maybe at some point I might like to go back to a full-frame format - but right now Nikon the Z system is really underwhelming. If this minor refresh is the best they've got - it isn't encouraging at all.

7. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

At least you won't have to wait 6 months to get one..

8. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Got pretty wet, stuck a mile from cover in a really bad downpour, not an economical repair.
    And yeah its nothing revolutionary, but fufils a lot of the end users requests - but there isnt anything revolutionary from anyone in that segment.

Nothing much exciting from anyone if i'm honest.
    Sony - just interations in MP and AF, nothing amazing
    Canon - just built some really solid cameras
    Fuji - just more of the same, GFX100 is pretty killer but also has problems and $$'s

I dont think its a failure, they are transitioning a lot of people to Z-bodies, or adding them as secondaries - like i've said before they arent after Sony users.

I've had a lot of their bodies over the years, and only really have a soft spot for the bang for buck in my genre's and the great sensors.
    I shoot Fuji as well for personal stuff, considered a full swap to it but lack of properly long fast glass and ergonomics arent there yet.

9. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

I've been looking to upgrade to mirrorless, but the Z mount lens prices are just taking the piss without delivery significant upgrades in performance or usability.

The Z mount nifty fifty is about $700, where to F mount is under $300 (at full retail, but available cheaper).

Yes, the FTZ adaptor is available, but I'm not seeing the killer reason to upgrade from my FC bodies (D750 / D600) to mirrorless. Except maybe eye-detect autofocus, I'll look further when they finally perfect this

Deftone2k likes this.
  10. Xang

Xang Member

I'm not sure I'd recommend anyone buy a Zmk2. But,

- eye-AF
    - full AF point coverage
    - zero lens calibration
    - EVF gives accurate image preview before taking
    - option for silent(ish) shutter
    - no gimped 1/4000 shutter
    - higher FPS

11. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

D750 is still a good body, most of what Xang said applies (except it does have a fully silent shutter - but caveats of that like all mirrorless)

The Z mount 50mm is far better than the F-mount one so you are getting better performance.
    just wait for sales and pricing is more realistic.

Look at the z5 if you dont need top end video or the FPS - gets most of the goodness at a lower price.

12. Xang

Xang Member

That's the reasoning behind my (ish). There is a world of difference between mirrorless silent shutters, ie the ability to be used indoors. Not much use being 'silent' if you can't use it half the time.

13. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Yes... considering the issues with the silent shutter on A73 I don't consider the A73 to have a functional silent mode.

Can't wait to get one though on a newer body.

14. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yeah, so its silent but not very good would be more accurate :lol:
    That said the times i used the Z6's silent shutter didnt present any issues, milage may vary

15. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

I am considering the Z5 for my next body. I will hold off until March to account for any new entry-level FF announcements from Sony and Canon, but the Z5 does look very good .. I don't mind ponying up for the 50/1.8, the bigger issue for me is the sole 85mm option. I need a native mid-range 85/1.4 from Sigma or Samyang.

herzeg likes this.
  16. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Also eyeing the Z5; some good prices on at the moment...

17. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Ive also considered it, saw it as low as $1600ish which is a bargain.
    Viltrox 85mm 1.8 is now out and apparently pretty good so i'd likely go that way

18. Kennui

Kennui Member

I've got a 85 1.4G with a D750 so i went to youtube to see if there was a comparison with the Z 85 1.8S and there was. The guy is a wedding/event shooter and this is probably the most demanding type of use case for the lens.

Summary is that the Z 85 was much faster and more accurate with the Z AF systems/modes. With the 85 1.4G he couldn't fully trust AF as sometimes it won't hit while the native 85 had a higher rate of success.

Obviously not the best comparison (1.8G would be more fair) but still interesting to see. Just how it goes with a newly developed and superior mount with few lenses. It's been what 2 years? lets see how it shakes up in another few years.

Z6II/Z7II are very tempting but i have no 'need' to upgrade, more of a want. The AF features are really awesome and contrast detect (live view) on the D750 is pretty slow. I've been shooting in live view a lot more these days.

19. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

the Z lenses are optically very good by all accounts.

I came very close to buying a Z6ii today, but instead am going to see how the R6 goes - my usage sways more towards sports/action which is unfortunately where the Z-series bodies falls down a bit