Nintendo 64 RGB

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by mobius.ro, Jan 14, 2020.

1. mobius.ro

mobius.ro Member

Got my hands on a near new JAP N64 and looking to improve the picture quality.

Was looking at two options

1. S-Video with a decent cable from retro-access plus a S-Video to HDMI converter
    2. RGB mod plus a RAD2X or HD Retrovision component cables

Now i suck a soldering and am finding it hard to get a decent RGB board shipped to Australia.

Anyone had their N64 RGB modded in Australia (Melbourne preferred!) and recommend someone that can do it?

Thanks.

2. Vanne

Vanne Member

Option 1 kinda sucks...

You can buy a pre-modded RGB N64 from jap for 35 US. (Pretty sure I got free shipping) (no PSU, etc, just the console) though the hd Retrovision (which is what I use) cables will set you back around 80 from memory.

I love it a lot...

I use GC controllers on mine... So much awesome!!! .. :)

Edit: I used one of those pound hdmi cables, and it was unplayable for me, HOWEVER, I now read somewhere apperently they installed some resistors the wrong way around and if you put them right, it's pretty good???? Some crap like that??? Anyone heard that?

(Edit: holy crap.. they are expensive now)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  3. OP
    OP
    mobius.ro

mobius.ro Member

You have a link to one?

I cant see anything under $200

4. Vanne

Vanne Member

5. Vanne

Vanne Member

Edit.. shit , 3 JD and cokes at this joint and I could have gotten another n64... :/

6. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

qwertylesh likes this.
  7. Vanne

Vanne Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Settled for the good ol' JD...

JSmithDTV likes this.
  8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

So you want to connect this to a CRT, or well you be using a digital flat screen?

If you're planning to use all digital (or even SVGA via a DAC) the UltraHDMI is the absolute best option:

https://www.retrorgb.com/ultrahdmi.html

http://ultrahdmi.retroactive.be/

It pulls pure digital off the GPU and reconstructs it at HDMI (along with digital audio). The output itself is lagless (your TV/monitor may not be).

Not a trivial install, and a bit expense, but it's the best quality option for 480p to 1080p.

If you want 240p/480i RGB, then then you have 2 options depending on the model. Some can do a simple amp:
    https://www.retrorgb.com/n64rgbmod.html

Some need a full DAC (more expensive):
    https://etim.net.au/n64rgb/

Unless you have a crappy PAL unit with only composite, then s-video is the absolute cheapest, but will only look decent on a CRT. It doesn't scale up so well on large flat screen digital TVs.

Overall, if you're using a flat screen, I'd be inclined to use the UltraHDMI if I had the budget, otherwise RAD2X if not.

For CRT use, the RGB amp if possible, otherwise the N64RGB DAC if not.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    qwertylesh likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    mobius.ro

mobius.ro Member

Going to be using a 55" LCD :)

Saw that, however is WAY out of my price range and almost impossible to get.

I've got a JAP NUJ1 so it should be a basic RGB mod, however need to open it up and check if i have the correct chip.

However i am finding it hard to find a decent RGB board (Voultar’s THS7374 or something similar, where i don't need to hack the metal shielding after) to buy then find someone local to install it (Or learn to solder again, haven't done it since High School, so 14 years ago now)

If i can get RGB happening i'll end up using a RAD2x cable.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah, the UltraHDMI is pretty nuts on pricing.

RGB amp + RAD2X sounds like a winner.

11. MrMaestro

MrMaestro Member

I have two JP N64s, one with RGB mod (Tim Worthington's) + RAD2X and one UltraHDMI. I bought the former after having major ongoing issues with the UltraHDMI mod.

My vote is for the RGB/RAD2X mod route, it's not as good as UltraHDMI but you still get close to that emulated pixel-perfect look on a big TV, and it costs a lot less and it's been 100% reliable for me so far.

Vanne likes this.
  12. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

What problems does the ultrahdmi have?

13. MrMaestro

MrMaestro Member

It intermittently outputs a black screen. The system works fine for a few mins after power-on and then starts doing it so it might be heat related.

My mate who modded it has tried swapping out various bits of the mod board/cables and the system board but hasn't been able to resolve it. Apparently he had issues with all the boards he installed (5 in total I think) and he's been able to fix all of them but mine.

14. OP
    OP
    mobius.ro

mobius.ro Member

qwertylesh and Vanne like this.
  15. Vanne

Vanne Member

wow, holy cows!!! 115 for just the RGB board?? Conker's better be worth it :D :thumbup:

16. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

For that kind of money I'd be buying a cheap Xbox one and Rare Replay to play Conkers for not much more money, and the experience would be better as well.:lol:

qwertylesh likes this.
  17. Vanne

Vanne Member

Not sure, I know about conkers on Rare's replay, but there is just something special about playing it on an old skool N64 with a big arse crt..

A great way to empty a six pack or 2. :)

qwertylesh likes this.
  18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I understand the pricey nature of the hdmi mods, its just a shame the soldering required is so precise, i wouldnt attempt it personally out of fear that id botch the job

19. OP
    OP
    mobius.ro

mobius.ro Member

Along with all this i also picked up a Super Famicom and PS1 to complete my youth gaming days!

Retro gaming is bloody EXPENSIVE!, the consoles, extra controllers, HD cables, flashcarts.......nothing was cheap!

Hopefully 007, Star Fox and Mario are as i remember them :)

Vanne and qwertylesh like this.
  20. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

i hear you there bro, damn hobby just burns through money :upset: