1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Announces Nintendo Switch (OLED model) October 8th

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by Qtr_Mile_Stud, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Qtr_Mile_Stud

Qtr_Mile_Stud Member

I guess it's an updated version.

Wonder how much it will retail.

Not really the Switch Pro people wanted.

Thoughts?

When the system launches, it will come in two color options:

• Nintendo Switch (OLED model) white set, which features white Joy-Con controllers, a black main unit and a white dock.
    • Nintendo Switch (OLED model) neon red/neon blue set, which features neon red and neon blue Joy-Con controllers, a black main unit and a black dock.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...a-Vibrant-7-inch-OLED-Screen-Launching-Oct.-8

Trizae likes this.
  2. Trizae

Trizae Member

Still need to find out what more is under the hood I do think it is more than just an OLED screen though....we hope :lol:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  3. OP
    OP
    Qtr_Mile_Stud

Qtr_Mile_Stud Member

4. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

But she's got a new hat.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Lots of folks let down by this announcement. The hype train was running full speed for a substantially more powerful unit.

Still keen to hear what the CPU/GPU specs announced. But I can't help but think not much is going to change. (Or maybe I'm protecting myself from further disappointment).

6. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

"Nintendo has confirmed to The Verge that there are no major internal changes to the CPU or memory. “Nintendo Switch (OLED model) does not have a new CPU, or more RAM, from previous Nintendo Switch models,” says a Nintendo spokesperson"

Sad trombone.

Trizae and elvis like this.
  7. elvis

Ah well, I wasn't keen on buying more hardware this calendar year anyway. Looks like the old model is going to do me just fine for the two whole games in interested in at the moment.

I was keen for a speed boost more for emulation. Seeing N64 and GC games on Switch would have been wonderful. (Assuming Nintendo is interested in anything more than NES/SNES ever).

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  8. power

power Member

I want it, but man what a letdown.

spludgey likes this.
  9. elvis

I'm not fussed. The OLED screen on the new models will die before the LCD screens on the old models, and I game 95% of the time via the dock on my TV anyway.

I can't say I'm surprised. Every time the hype train goes bananas on Nintendo, we're reminded of their "Lateral thinking with withered technology" motto that, outside of 2 exceptions, has been their MO since the dawn of their video game business across the entirety of their product range.

https://medium.com/@adamagb/nintend...thinking-with-withered-technology-bac7257d8f4

10. power

power Member

yeah but i like shiny things, this is shiny.

elvis likes this.
  11. elvis

You also have a lot of disposable income, you childless bastard.

Qtr_Mile_Stud, Trizae and Sledge like this.
  12. power

power Member

lol not that much, if anything I hope that this display ends up in an updated model. This OLED model to me feels like a way for Nintendo to clear whatever inventory they have. I'm hoping this bucks their trend of reducing features and quality as a system ages.

not gonna lie, this model is tempting even though like you most of my switching is docked.

13. Sledge

Sledge Member

He can adopt me if he's feeling needy :)

Qtr_Mile_Stud and elvis like this.
  14. power

power Member

you know one of the pluses of no kids is you have spare moolah, for yourself? :D

elvis and Sledge like this.
  15. simontifik

simontifik Member

I left my Switch on a plane in May :upset:. Held out until E3 to see if there was an announcement then caved a bought a new one from Amazon for $350 a week ago!

Not too disappointed I didn’t wait it out. The new screen would be nice but seeings as the CPU is the same not missing out too much. I’m actually kinda glad they’ve not upgraded at this stage, would be a bummer if BOTW2 ran way better on the new hardware and heaps were stuck playing a shitty version.

16. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Yeah kind of not surprised at this, the 4k/DLSS rumours were pretty wild and way too on the edge for Nintendo.

I just want a spec bump so that I can play Age of Calamity without the slowdowns :tired:

17. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Wtf.. so I waited, and waited, for this?

i hope they at least fix the drifting pads

Fraggle likes this.
  18. power

power Member

they're making too much off the original HW revision, no incentive to really do much at all with it.

I mean just look at the numbers it's been doing.

If I'm honest screen updates are Nintendo's go to upgrade path on portables.

When we see sales dip and third parties skipping the platform, that's when they will launch "new" HW.

19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

*wet fart noise plays loud and long as this product is announced*

What a fucking waste of time and space.

20. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

$150-$200 more than the existing model for a more vivid and larger screen with the same 540-720p image stretched across it. Oh and a lan port on the dock!

..Or just $300 total if you take up EB games on their trade in offer with your current switch :lol:

I'm assuming this replaces the current model as the differences between them doesn't warrant a multiple stack, but it has just pushed up the entry price for a dated console that was in good need of a hardware update if so. More expensive than a series S, I know they target different markets but yikes.