1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Announces Nintendo Switch (OLED model) October 8th

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by Qtr_Mile_Stud, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Trizae

Trizae Member

Looks pretty nice didn't know the screen is glass this time around

2. i_trin

i_trin Member

That is the worst fucking video ever

Trizae and mesaoz like this.
  3. Trizae

Trizae Member

it is but its still the only video of the new nintendo switch olded

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  4. Trizae

Trizae Member

Making the rounds atm.

Attached Files:

5. Trizae

Trizae Member

First unboxing

6. Trizae

Trizae Member

According to John the best Panel ever made on a handheld gaming device

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i want the new Switch, but with the likelihood of going nowhere very likely, the OLED would be a waste

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

My thoughts, specific to my use case:

* Switch LCD peak brightness is ~370 nits, Switch OLED peak brightness ~340 nits. New OLED model is not as bright.
    * For outdoor gaming, the LCD model is better. If I'm gaming on the go, I'm outdoors.
    * If I want to game at home, I can use any display I want on my LCD switch when docked
    * OLED still suffers burn in. What's this screen going to look like in 10 years? I keep and play all my old consoles - still have originals from the 80s and 90s, and they all still work fine.

A larger screen is welcome, but I genuinely question the use of OLED on a portable. We learned from the handhelds of yesteryear that peak brightness is king when you're playing on the go. The OLED model is ultimately dimmer, and if I want sexy OLED time, I'd rather do it on a docked unit on my larger TV.

And again, OLED burn in and half life is a worry. LCD sucks, but lasts objectively longer. I can easily replace my TV if it dies, but my Switch's in-built screen is more difficult to replace. HDR is also not worthy of discussion at <400-600 nits, nor really on the low powered Switch.

If you only play your Switch in low-light environments in handheld mode and are likely to sell it in a few years when a new model comes out, this might be a good thing. For anyone else who doesn't fit that exact category, I don't see the benefits.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Trizae and supasaiyan like this.
  9. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Original Vita had an OLED didn't it? How are they faring these days? They must be pushing 10+yrs old.

10. elvis

Really difficult to find anything from Googling, although the Vita's "10-15 million sales" and short lifespan make that difficult compared to the already 89 million sales of the Switch. Discussion over OLED burn-in on Vita appears to not show anything in the last 5 years or so.

I would say that if people were playing lengthy JRPGs and the like, they'd be suffering now. OLED burn in is only half the problem. Half-life of the individual cells is another, including both dimming of overall brightness and the more noticeable colour shift (you can correct for the latter on a good TV with internal controls, but you can't correct for that on a handheld console).

Again, I think it only is an issue for long term or heavy users. But purely for myself, I don't ever sell consoles as I like to go back and play old games I've missed from every generation of system. Newer hardware seems to die far more readily than older hardware, and is more difficult to repair on top of it. We do have good community support for third party screens and the like for much older handhelds, so with any luck the Switch OLED will be the same. But it's still a bit of a worry for me.

11. power

power Member

The OLED in my Vita still looks good no "burn in" i can see, also my phone has an OLED and it's a One Plus 3T - I don't think ninty will have too many image retention issues.

12. elvis

Phones are a bit different because most of us have lock screens. It's rare to have a phone running for the length of time a game console does with static content (even if watching movies, the content is dynamic). That phone is also only 5 years old.

And again, cell half life is a worry. Having all white content look yellow in 10+ years is what I don't want. Future-elvis-retro-gamer speaking here. YMMV. Although I also assume I'll be emulating the Switch on my VR neural-link by that stage :lol:

13. Trizae

Trizae Member

Still have my OG vita OLED from launch and still looks prestine and beautiful much better than the vita slim

14. Trizae

Trizae Member

You raised some good points i'd still need to see one in the flesh but if my vita is any indication that faired up swimmingly and its one of the older oleds the peak brightness and outdoor is a thing but it will look similar due to the nature of the better oled screen out doors its a moot point if you have a V2 switch though like I have its only a stop gap unless resale value for a next generation switch is important i play a mix of docked on my sexy oled and handheld even at home so when I head tomorrow i'll want to compare them together to see how they fair up in real light.

Also in regards to repair i've done my fair share from the handhelds the haven't touched the OLED but they aren't too hard if you know what you're doing whats more important is how expensive the touch digitizer is on the OLED vita and when that will be readily available which should be months from now the current switch is much easier to repair in comparison

Either way nice device but better if you don't have a switch or if you have a switch lite and want something dockable, if you have a v2 thats a much harder sell unless you will do the above.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  15. elvis

How many run hours has it had? (I know that's hard to guestimate, but hours on is what kills OLEDs, not shelf life).

16. power

power Member

if that's the concern anyone buying this model could potentially just buy a couple of spare screens while they are new on the market and just stow them away. I mean look at the old Lynx, the screens degraded over time and here we are 30+ years later and you can buy new drop in screens. Game Gear is the same, aftermarket screens are here to keep your handheld alive - honestly i reckon the battery and joycons would fail long before the display.

17. elvis

Yup, I mentioned that above. I do hope it's the same for Switch, and it should be, given the sales numbers. And again, emulation saves us all long term.

Look, I'm not trying to be all negative Nancy here. As I mentioned above, for my own reasons, I'll be sticking with my LCD model. If I do get an OLED model, it'll be as a second unit, but I don't have a lot of drive to do that at the moment. But in the same breath I also play the vast majority of my Switch games docked attached to a TV, so it's almost a moot point for me.

18. Trizae

Trizae Member

this is a guesstimate but probably around upwards of 25,000+ On alot more since the henkaku 3.60 exploit in july 2016 till now and used it alot more for remote play with my ps4 before getting my ps5 last november so since about 2015 since I got my ps4+bloodborne and remoteplayed with the vita alot since having both.

Still no burn in and have put a couple tests as well. But i'll see if there is a homebrew application to give me all that info its lacklustre compared to 3ds/switch.

Also as power I did order some spare screens for it when I was replacing the rear touch panel but it still gets quite alot of heavy use alongside my new 3ds + Switch V2.

I've found generally with gaming handhelds when it comes to screen quality the launch ones tend to be the cherry picked interms of quality control of whatever series it is whether thats vita switch 3ds etc as then they tend to have variance not just within themselves but other manufacturers they use to meet demand.

Also never asked elvis is your switch a V1 or V2?

elvis likes this.
  19. MrBS

MrBS Member

New model is nice, there is a more premium feel in the materials. The switch feels better, the dock feels better too. The white setup looks a bit more sleek than my old pokemon model haha

Trizae likes this.
  20. Trizae

Trizae Member

Did you pick up the OLED G? send a pick if you can and also go in the options turn vivid off and keep it at peak brightness so we can compare