Nintendo Direct 24.09.21 | 8:00am AEST

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by Trizae, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Trizae

Trizae Member

:)

elvis likes this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Retro-elvis is in for retro news. Hoping for:
    * GameBoy titles on NOL
    * N64 titles, either NOL or individual purchase
    * N64 wireless controller

Trizae likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

Mate this aligns with me heavily any of the above with Lylat Wars first up on N64 online (get the right naming for OZ you cowards!) Speculation hopefully would like to hear about Castlevania advance collection, been eating very well on the switch this year as of late so anything else would be a bonus

4. elvis

I reckon this will be multi-platform. Konami have been pretty good making sure all their old Castlevania games have made it to as many platforms as possible. Unsure if it gets announced this early on, given that copyright and ratings stuff only appeared lately.

Still keen for it either way. GBA games are a little wider than 4:3 (not quite 16:9), and born from LCD displays, so they'll look good on a Switch if they can get the gamma and colours right.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  5. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

I'll take what I can get! I do presume the collection will be multiplatform I do hope it does reasonably well so it can allow for a DS collection they are fantastic games but most won't be able to play them due to the batshit high collectors prices and the hardware, i'm lucky I still own my DSi and all 3.

The advance collection would look excellent on the switch screen, any n64 titles in particular (if it does happen) you looking forward to if it is a go?

6. elvis

I wonder how this will work. "Dawn of Sorrow" was my favourite of the DS Castlevania games, but it had that weird "draw things on screen to capture boss souls" mechanic. Although that could work on the Switch in portable mode I guess.

But then again, everyone mostly hated that specific mechanic (I thought it was a dumb gimmick in an otherwise excellent game), and if you just made it automatic, I don't think anyone would care. The game would be just as fun without it.

What it does mean, though, is that the ports will take a bit more effort consolidate the split-screen nature of the DS into a more single-screen approach of bringing up menus.

I personally have zero love or nostalgia for the N64. I was a Sega kid for the entire 8 bit generation, dual Sega/Nintendo for 16bit, and then landed square in university after that so other things took my time and interest away. By the time I popped out the other end of the sausage factory, I'd picked up a PlayStation 1 and had entirely missed N64 all together.

But most of my mates are slightly younger than me, likewise my brother-in-law is too, and all of them have massive nostalgia for N64 as their favourite system when they were roughly 10-15 years old. My interest is more in a wide array of games being available for people to play at any time. The old rant about how I can watch movies from 10 to 100 years ago easily on Netflix or on new BluRay media, I can listen to music from previous decades and even centuries ago on Spotify, but finding legal ways to play old games that isn't dealing with second hand eBay bullshit is nigh impossible. Likewise the technology aspect - I don't need to set up a reel-to-reel projector to play a film from the 1920s that got re-released on Netflix or BluRay. Why should playing N64 games require a real N64 and TV with composite plug and all the drama of analogue video and weird resolutions and lag and nonsense? Just port/emulate the damned thing and let people buy it legally!

Why old video games are so much harder to get a hold of than old movies and music, I'll never understand. I only want them to be at least on par with most other art and entertainment for accessibility.

So I guess to answer your question directly - "all of them". I want all games available at all times for all people. :)

Trizae likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

I thought about this if if you played or own Platinum Games remaster of The Wonderful 101 they can easily relegated it to the second stick for the designs of the spells or glyphs or just have it done automatically for accessibility if their really pedantic can lock a trophy or something if you play it the traditional way, they made it work very well for controller a glyph system so Konami can do the same.

Also speaking of Castlevania Advance Collection ;)

E_7pDi7VQAcr8gh.jpg

And I agree with you whole heartedly with the latter alot of it is tied to previous hardware and no way of easy access which is left in the vaults of alot of these companies (or even worse lost source code roms etc) They should let that part of history be accessible to everyone.

Also the N64 was fantastic alot of memorable stuff on there from Lylat Wars the Zelda's Mischief Makers Bangai-O and Sin & Punishment (plus goldeneye perfect darks Smash Bros etc) If they brought any of them cleaned em up a bit they would be amazing

Randomly saw your starwing I found my snes classic and having a blast running through Starwing and about to do the second. I don't mind devices like what nintendo does if it has the roms on 'real' mini hardware/controls though and emulation/input lag on point though :p

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    elvis likes this.
  8. elvis

9. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

Dammit :( hope Em is wrong but it makes sense they can bleed it out over the next year with Prime Echos Corruption release Prime 4 in 2023 for the switch/Nintendo Succ(essor) as people will buy them with mindshare on Dread hopefully rather a complete trilogy on card though

10. elvis

Word is the ports are really difficult. Prime 3 especially is supposed to be held together with tape and string, hopes and dreams. And by all accounts porting it has been a nightmare.

Matches up with the hellish development stories from the original games floating around. By all accounts it nearly sent Retro Studios broke.

Sadly if Nintendo just emulated it, you'd hear nothing but "lazy developer" whining. Doesn't feel like there are any good options here.

11. elvis

Two outta three ain't bad. Genesis/Megadrive was a nice surprise.

You picked it. Spot on.

Trizae likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

I think you mean we picked it! Lylat wars and sin and punishment is all I needed to hear haha :lol: thought it was a good direct and bayonetta 3!

elvis likes this.
  13. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Castlevania should be fun.

One day we'll get something relating to Golden Sun... one day...

e: $30 on the AU store! Im in

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Trizae likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

That will be coming with the eventual game boy/colour/advance GameCube tier for nso next year I’m sure

15. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

another big one - Actraiser remake!

Out now as well, $45 big ones on nintendo store or steam. mmmm

Trizae likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

I love how you understand the most important thing is the actraiser remake I have the gba games and they look amazing