Nintendo Game & Watch Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by MUTMAN, Feb 7, 2021.

?

How many G&W did/do you own ?

1. 1

30.4%
  2. 2

17.4%
  3. 3-7

34.8%
  4. 8-20

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have a serious collection

4.3%
  6. Candy

13.0%
  1. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  2. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

on the back of every G&W is the batteries required :)
    a wise collector (adicakes :) ) told me to get LR/SR43 for my multi screen units as the slightly shorter battery takes some pressure off the battery cover (which are prone to failure)

https://www.jaycar.com.au/search?text=lr43

View attachment 33024

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Sledge likes this.
  3. adicakes

adicakes Member

Yep, try LR/SR43 and see how the game performs. If it goes OK, good, but if is starts behaving strangely, try LR44.

Sledge and MUTMAN like this.
  4. adicakes

adicakes Member

Get a spare polarizer or polarized sunglasses, and try rotating it above the bottom screen. Does it improve the situation?

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

no spare polariser film, but with real polarising sunglasses i dont see it as better.
    as i rotate the sunnies it goes from 'normal' to blacked out and back again ....

6. adicakes

adicakes Member

"Normal" being the faded state?

7. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Yep. the sprites are crisp and complete, just seems 'light' and not super dark ..
    I'll pull it apart (next weekend) and clean up the lcd contact area and the ribbon cable too

8. adicakes

adicakes Member

The ribbon cable isn't relevant here -- that just carries power and signal up to the top PCB. Also, attempting to clean the ribbon cable will likely ruin it. The traces are actually just conductive ink, and isopropyl alcohol, water, etc, will wipe it clean off, leaving you with a bigger problem.

The lower screen is connected by a conductive rubber strip that is pressed into a groove on the edge of the LCD glass. You can try gently cleaning the rubber strip, and if still no joy, also try a light clean of LCD glass contact area. Make sure the lower assembly is screwed together tight, and everything is in place, because good contact between the PCB and glass, via the rubber strip, is critical.

Just had a look in my spares box and I have a junked DKII here. The LCD glass and strip are still there, and I'd be happy to have a go if you send the unit down for me to check out.

JSmithDTV and MUTMAN like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Awesome offer :thumbup:
    I'll check the elastomer out and give everything a clean next weekend.
    If all else fails I'll be send her off to the adicakes spa and retreat :D

Cheers for your help :thumbup::thumbup:

JSmithDTV and adicakes like this.
  10. adicakes

adicakes Member

Newly landed, one of the New Widescreen models. :) This one is cool because it's a G&W take on a (forced) side-scrolling platformer, more sophisticated to the previous G&W models which had you moving about in "fixed" scenes. G&W SMB has eight worlds, each with its own theme, with other typical platformer traits such as collecting extra lives and avoiding enemies. The manual is a real laugh. :D

As an aside, and a look into the silliness of G&W collecting, the plastic bag that the game is sitting on is worth about $40. :tongue::lol: I don't get into that crazy stuff but if it's in the box, hey, I'll take it.

IMG_20210221_182137900.jpg

SMB_YM-105_Page2-3.jpg

SMB_YM-105_Page8-9.jpg

11. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

that looks minty :thumbup:

adicakes likes this.
  12. power

power Member

they are often the same game, just with different background the two we had were kind of a juggling act so you'd tap tap tap the button to try and stop a thing falling off either side.

13. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I was never cool enough for Nintendo stuff, I had a couple of LCD Games from Tandy I got as rewards as a kid in the mid 80's.
    I had Plane and Tank and something a yellow camping game (which was the same game but with different images :p ).
    It still works and is still fun (if very simple) to play :D Mind you it took me a little while to mash my way through the buttons to remember how it actually works...

Speaking of which, I think living through these times has us all well trained to set clocks in things. I still find that I can pick up pretty much any basic digital watch/stop watch/device or kitchen oven/microwave etc and work out how it works in about 60 seconds. Meanwhile, my kids struggle to work out how to switch the input on the AV receiver if the Harmony remote didn't correctly pick the input for them (which happens from time to time).

An interesting concept I keep hearing about is the re-birth of tech support as the iPad generation have grown up in a world where things "just work" and they didn't have to trouble shoot further that turning it off and on again or simple googling which button to press with no concept of why they are pressing it.

upload_2021-2-22_9-46-38.png

JSmithDTV, MUTMAN and adicakes like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I think you're right on the money here.
    my folks couldnt set the timer or the clock on the VCR or the time on the microwave :)
    I dont have kids, but I see my friends kids struggling with troubleshooting tech these days ....

all ahil the king of digital clock setting. Me !
    :D

JSmithDTV likes this.
  15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

A mate of mine still has her "Plane and Tank", although the battery cover got lost, so they hold a battery in with a plastic clothes peg. I need to find a clone / 3D printed replacement for them.

I keep saying it - look at the rate of PC sales in the home (and in general). They peaked in 2011, and have been falling since.

Now ask yourself where you think peak "technology literacy" ended. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Computers allowed people to tinker. Tinkering (and play) are BY FAR the best ways to learn things (and for more on that subject, read "Homo Ludens"), and not only are modern devices simplified in an attempt to make them "easy", they actively discourage tinkering and play with walled gardens and controlled systems.

On a Commodore 64 you could peek and poke to your hearts content. An iPhone is a brick controlled by a third party.

adicakes and hutts24 like this.
  16. power

power Member

Say hello to my new little friend.

Now I just need some batteries.

IMG_20210222_173831.jpg

Pierre32, elvis, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.
  17. adicakes

adicakes Member

Glad to see it arrived safely, good stuff. :leet:

power likes this.
  18. power

power Member

Pictures don't really do it justice, apart from the lightest scratches on the lid its close to perfect. VERY happy.

MUTMAN likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

jaycar have LR43 (A186)
    bunnings have LR44 (A76)

i picked up some a186 at my local mr mint in sunnybank shopping centre at a not horrible $7 for 2.
    I'm hunting down some decent batteries on aliexpress, yet to test or know but will see how it goes and report back in the second post :)

20. power

power Member

Just tried some. LR44's out of my torch, they must not be the best left screen is a bit dull. Fun game!

MUTMAN likes this.