Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

It's a waste of time arguing with Nintendo Fans.

How Elvis can think the N64 was crap but feel so strongly for the switch is beyond me.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

There's some, but not enough, which is why it's failing. The hardware was celebrated at the time for finally being better than the Wii and on par with the PS3 and XBox360 , and yet it sold worse. Again, software matters.

You've totally missed the point. The Nintendo 64 was a commercial success due to a good games library. The hardware was lacking in many regards - you had to sacrifice enormous draw distance and framerate to get a "high resolution" (480i) mode, it had terrible blurring and low res textures, and the very limited cartridge storage made it lose devs like Square and the Final Fantasy series to competitors with large optical storage.

I don't certainly think the "N64 was crap". What I'm telling you is that it wasn't spectacular hardware. People who look back nostalgically at it are confused between their childish excitement back in the day, and what actually happened. And yet, even with mediocre hardware, it succeeded. In that regard, the N64 is identical to literally every single other console you can name from Nintendo, with the exception of two (VirtualBoy and WiiU) in its low-power design. But who cares? Hardware doesn't dictate the success of a platform (if it did, most Nintendo consoles should have failed).

Once again, I'm excited for the Switch as a mobile platform that gets "first class citizen" attention (in that every console game immediately becomes a portable game too). I'm not excited about the hardware specs, the power, or anything else, because I'm familiar with Nintendo's hardware model.

And of course, it could bomb completely. We could see Breath of the Wild land as a terrible game (I won't lie, I wasn't excited by Skyward Sword at all, and the two most recent mobile games were pretty boring), and we could see third parties all bail and leave the Switch without games. If that happens, all hope is lost. My crystal ball isn't telling me the answer yet, so I'll have to wait and see like everyone else.

3. Sledge

Sledge Member

because it was too late..
    hardware finally caught up with the other big players, but everyone had already done/played the games now possible on this hardware.. So why develop for it?

4. elvis

If it was down to hardware only, the Wii should have failed too. It was no more powerful than a PS2, and yet held its own against the PS3 and XBox360.

The WiiU had no "killer app", and Nintendo put their best developers on 3DS titles instead. Software let it down immensely.

5. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Can't forget that Nintendo failed to advertise the Wii U properly.

Some people thought it was just an accessory to the Wii or something, rather than a platform successor. :lol:

I'll bite on the Switch if they release a "Switch TV" or something that ditches all the mobile junk and sell it at a cheap price.

Not interested in gaming on the go.

6. Snoochems

Snoochems Member

My 2c. This will sink Nintendo as a hardware business if the rumours are true regarding its underwhelming processing power. I have no hate for Nintendo, and even bought a Wii U on launch and still use it.

The "Switch" concept is a case of another gimmicky feature that many will not use, much like the Kinnect and Wii U pad. And who really wants to play games on the go that much?

For those saying that processing / graphics don't matter, then why are they even releasing a new console when the Wii U is available and capable of playing HD games? With the PS4 just released, and a more powerful iteration of the xbone not too far off, the difference in processing power will be significant.

The lack of grunt will mean it'll lose 3rd party support, or games will be dumbed down or neutered, meaning any multi platform games will be better played on something else. The Wii U is proof that Nintendos first party games alone can't keep a platform viable.

If the case is for a portable device, that is a home console secondary - well even then, your smart phone or tablet will probably do a better job along with everything else they can do.

In any case, I think in the end it'll work out. Either they prove me wrong, in which case, great, or we will be able to play Nintendo's IP games on our PS5's in a few years time.

7. Grant

Grant Member

Technically? Sure, people have enough phones/tablets around and they get faster every month, but I think there's still a place for a dedicated gaming device.

Having a mobile platform means everyone has the same hardware (same as the "PC vs. Home console" argument), and a lot of people have low end mobile devices which are pretty bad performance wise.

Then add the branding, standardised controllers and accessories, SDK support etc., and its something that could work. I think it'll all come down to price, which a lack of cellular support could achieve.

8. samos

samos Member

As much as I love Nintendo, I have to agree with this sentiment. A lot of the games are aesthetic in their own right even if the art style is cell shading / cartoony. I still feel putting more powerful hardware in there would allow for some amazing looking Goldeneye/Turok esque games. These were a cornerstone of the N64 which had the right amount of grunt to compete.

Anyway I will reserve judgement until it comes out - but I feel it boxes them into one direction. I'd like to see what the other games are going to look like. I mean I love DK, Mario et. al. and will purchase the shit out of them, but it'd be nice to be able to play a full-HD or 4K Perfect Dark!

9. elvis

Speaking for myself anecdotally, I've played more Nintendo mobile games in the last 12 months than console games (retro or new).

Speaking for the official hardware sales numbers to date (in millions):

Nintendo DS: 154
    Nintendo 3DS: 61

Nintendo Wii: 101
    Nintendo WiiU: 13

Nintendo's portable hardware sales far outnumber their console sales. I'm not at all surprised that the Switch is so focussed on mobile play.

For raw CPU/GPU power, sure. But let's face it, mobile phone games suck. And the reasons they suck have less to do with the hardware in the platform, and more to do with input devices (or a lack thereof).

Perfect Dark is a Rare franchise, and Rare were bought out by Microsoft in 2002. Microsoft own the rights to the series now, so I don't think you'll see it on a Nintendo platform (which is the same reason we never saw it on Nintendo Virtual Console).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  10. elvis

January press release will be live streamed this afternoon (2PM BNE, 3PM SYD/MEL).

11. elvis

Video summary:

System:

* RRP USD$299 / JPY29980 (AUD$350/400 direct convert)
    * March 3, 2017 release
    * Online service coming soon. Free until "Fall 2017" (Northern hemisphere)
    * No region locking
    * 2.5-6 hours battery life depending on game
    * Play while charging
    * Capacitive touch screen
    * WiFi multiplayer for up to 8 systems

Joycon:

* "JoyCon" controllers, left and right. Analogue stick per unit, which can be pushed as a button.
    * NFC in each joycon (left and right), for Amiibo read/write. Capture button for screen capture (stills now, video soon).
    * Each joycon has motion control (like a WiiMote).
    * ABXY and L/R buttons per JoyCon
    * 2 Joycon (1xL, 1xR) bundled with each console.
    * Joycon available in colours (Red and Blue) and has straps (like wiimote)
    * Right Joycon has an IR camera in it, can judge distance and shape (can read a human hand in rock/paper/scissors shapes)
    * Joycon Has haptic feedback / "HD rumble" to feel like objects (demonstrated "ice in a glass" feeling)

Software:

* "1-2-Switch" game (Release March 3 with Switch)
    * Reaction testing style gameplay, person versus person
    * Demoed a "wild west quick draw" sequence
    * Gaming between people (don't need to look at screen, it just tallies score, has audio cues)

* "Arms" fighting sports game
    * Fantasy boxing style game, characters with long stretchy arms
    * Controls use motion controls to move characters and attacks left and right (like "Virtua On")
    * Buttons for jumps and dashes
    * Versus gameplay, view from behind your character
    * Single player, local split screen, wifi versus now, online versus soon
    * Release date "Spring 2017" (Northern hemisphere)

* "Splatoon 2"
    * New "special weapons"
    * Dual wield guns that double as boost
    * Looks like a rocket launcher too?
    * Use pro controller or joycon
    * Summer 2017 release (northern hemisphere)
    * Post-launch updates and online events

* "Super Mario Odyssey"
    * Mario "sandbox" game (more like Mario64/Sunshine, less like Galaxy)
    * Not mushroom kingdom. A world "Unknown" to mario (looks like "the real world")
    * New mario cap with eyes
    * Release 2017 Holiday Season (Christmas)

* "Xenoblade Chonicals 2"
    * Looks just like Xenoblade 1 :p

* Koei/Tecmo "Fire Emblame Warriors"

* 50 companies working on games now
    * 80 games in development now

* Square Enix - Dragon Quest X and XI
    * Dragon Quest I+II for Switch as well

* Atlus/Sega - "Shin Megami Tensai"
    * 25th anniversary remake of I/II/III/IV ?
    * Unreal Engine 4

* Square/Enix - "Project Octopath Traveller"
    * Cardboard cutout style pixel art
    * JRPG?

* Bethesda - "Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim"

* Grasshopper/Suda51 - Unnamed game in development with "Travis Touchdown" from "No More Heroes"
    * Game is "heavily influenced by deathmatches and pro wrestling" (Suda51 as batshit insane as always)

* Electronic Arts - EA Sports FIFA
    * (Apparently EA's EVP's son's middle name is Luigi. How nice for him)
    * Hinting at online play
    * Release 2017

* Mix of old and new games in the outtro not mentioned so far (too many to note now).

* Switch bundle is:
    * Console
    * L+R joycons
    * joycon "grip" controller dock
    * wrist straps
    * dock
    * HDMI cable
    * AC Charger

* Pro controller separate purchase

* model 1 - grey controllers
    * model 2 - red/blue controllers

* Lots of display events across major international capital cities before release date

* Legend of Zelda, Breath of the Wild - on demo in New York City tomorrow
    * Release date - ................ March 3rd (same as switch)

* Switch Pre-order in japan January 21st

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

launch titles?

13. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

disappointing battery life

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  14. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

they are charging for mobile online? GTFO

15. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

Wow, I wont be surprised if we get $449 base price :(

16. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

wonder if normal power banks will be able to charge it without frying the console

17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

oh look a crappy boxing game

18. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

this presentation is embaressing

19. elvis

Editing post as I go.

Same active (playtime) battery life as the DS and 3DS at launch.

20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

ugh, splatoon