Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Price sucks. Official nintendo facebook confirms RRP of AU$469.95

May look into getting my dad to ship me one from USA since it isn't region locked.

2. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Not exactly saving a huge amount for a potential headache

3. samos

samos Member

I'm in.

Fanboy right here.

That Zelda trailer. Wow. Pulls on my nostalgia strings. A Goron? :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I will purchase a 65" TV for this game alone. I will be locking myself away for one full week.

Fully irrational, but delicious to me.

Edit: And yes, the price is quite expensive for the hardware. But get this, you don't need to buy one. I remember paying $400 for an N64. I remember paying well over $500 for a Sega Dreamcast.

Nintendo knows the console will sell, as such, they will jack up the price to whatever they feel they can fetch.

If not a whole heap sell; the price will fall. You can bet they will sell well, though.

I'm interested in the launch titles however, they've been very weak with the Wii.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  4. stitch512

stitch512 Member

The WiiU is still $430 new and that sold stuff all. Nintendo have not learned their lesson. Zelda looks great and I really want that Master sword edition and will most likely get it, but the switch will have to come later.

When you finish Zelda what then? Nintendo will need to fast track some games ASAP because the lineup is really really bad. Nintendo pretty much needed one of the greatest launch line up in history as its trying to compete with the Xbox one and PS4, more powerful and cheaper consoles. If it was not for Zelda, the switch would be completely dead at launch.

5. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Yeah agree. Theres a big difference between fanboys paying more for far inferior system and the regular gamers.

6. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

At $470 AUD for a 6.2", 720P tablet. I don't see the value. (That is EB Games pricing.)

You could get almost two Xbox One's for that price, which comes with a few games. :lol:

Only draw card for me is Zelda and maybe Star Fox if they port it over. But I'm not sure it is worth that cash for even that at the moment.

Might revisit the device next year, hopefully there will be more games and a lower price to go with it by then.

7. MoMaN69

MoMaN69 Member

Couldn't help myself, preordered today with a stack of games

8. zebu

zebu Member

I put my name down for one with a copy of zelda.

It's a fair bit more than i was wishing for but i guess its only about $30au more than the US once you add in their state sales tax thats not in the advertised $US price so i guess not toooooo much Australia tax in the grand scheme of things

i was hoping for $399 like the wii was at release though.

Assuming the 3DS has a limited life left you have to wonder if its too expensive at that price for parents to buy their 6 year old to play pokemon on and there will be some kind of "switch micro" that's basically GBA form factor for a lesser price down the track

9. Ospi

Ospi Member

The price is a bad joke, utterly ridiculous, but damn it's tempting.

10. samos

samos Member

Oh no, I agree. I had a Wii and a Wii U. The Wii was great, Wii U was a flop. The flow of games was terrible and annoying.

It's not the price of the console that will do Nintendo in - it's the lack of games. And if the price of the console does not fall despite bad sales, then they are obviously not desperate and the hand helds are carrying them.

The console will sell based on Zelda alone. But it's longevity will be determined based on what they can deliver games wise.

The price of the console is irrelevant, sure it could be cheaper, but look at how killer the N64 was with some amazing games. I was never bored on the N64 until the very latter years. And I am confident I paid $400 for it (what's that taking into account inflation?)

In any case, if Zelda lives up to hype I will be more than happy to shell out $450-odd for it.

In terms of what next, who knows - I am hoping developers release a steady stream of games - after that the Mario Kart's / Mario's will have to tide us over. I am hoping for a Donkey Kong as usual, as well as maybe Metroid.

I only ever buy exclusive Nintendo games on their consoles, as the PC and PS4/Xbox do a far better job for anything else given the hardware Nintendo opts to use (obvious)

In any case, the age old homage - I will take gameplay over FX - but both would be great.

11. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Going to Preorder Zelda BOTW Master Edition and Possibly Sonic Mania CE if released here

12. MrBS

MrBS Member

Unless your dad is paying shipping wont this end up consting you more money? Or are you happy to wait a month while it comes via surface mail so you can save $10 :p

I'll be getting one but yikes.... maybe wait until April or later when there are a couple of games. The current launch lineup and subsequent months are looking terrible.

13. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

That's what I was thinking, US$299.99 is AU$399.99 atm, add 10% tax it's ~ AU$440, then you need to get it to you....

I just pre ordered the console and Zelda from EB for $560, pretty keen to be able to play Zelda where ever I am :)

14. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

$560 to play one game is a joke

Oh and online is also a paid service. They give you a shitty classic to play for ONE MONTH.

Nintendo deserves this to fail

15. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

I like the concept of the system, but feel the price is too high for a console but justified I guess since it's also portable. The problem with the system will be like all Nintendo consoles and that's games.

This list here of games shows how light the system is in terms of third party support.

http://kotaku.com/here-are-some-of-...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Another problem with Nintendo is they have this really strong portable system already with the 3DS, did they really need to make the Switch portable as well?

16. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yes, and as a potential buyer, I don't know if I'm buying a 3DS or a Switch or if it's all just too hard.

17. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

In one of the videos they do specify that you can play the console while it is charging off USB-C portable chargers.

18. Ospi

Ospi Member

So it'll be in excess of $100 for another dock with controllers not far behind? The price is going to hurt them in a major way. I'll probably end up getting one solely for the hand-held capabilities I can use on long haul flights but if it was simply a home console I'd not even consider it at that price.

19. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

20. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Yeah I'll get one of these for sure!

*looks at launch price*

Yeah I'll just wait for that inevitable Nintendo pricedrop....