1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

If you just want it as a home console Its a pretty awful price. With the christmas deals you could just about buy 2 Xbox One S consoles, each with 1-3 games, for the price of this and 1 game. No doubt which will offer the better typical home console experience. Switch is only worth it if like me you lap up Nintendo exclusives, and if you want the portability.

A big question for its success I think, is whether the enormous population of 3DS owners will pick them up.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

I don't watch a lot of TB, but I liked this video he did on the Switch.

3. samos

samos Member

Yeah that was a great watch. Ty.

Edit: particularly the bit about 30FPS vs 60FPS. I totally agree. I'd much rather sacrifice FX to get a smooth 60fps rather than jittery 30FPS which I have experienced on my PS4.

4. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Well nothing particularly shocking in the video. Just lays it all out flat for everyone to have a look through

5. mookie3three

mookie3three Member

The price of the Japanese console is a much better conversion 29999 yen is approx $350AUD. That would be a better option. Since the power adapter is USB c wouldn't be too difficult to buy a replacement 240v one depending on it's power requirements.

6. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

It's effectively an android tablet (running whatever custom nintendo OS is on there)

I'm sure it'll charge from 2-3 amp bricks

7. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I think the price is acceptable. If there are people spending $1000 on a photo (yes that's you iPhone and galaxy people), then its fine, considering inflation.

I expect the new consoles from Xbox/PS to be over $600 US.

The problem I have is the lack of titles. Reading 4 to 7 at launch? The lack of graphics power means a lot of games probably be available to it from third parties.

I don't understand why they just don't wait until they have enough games, then launch. It's stupid.

Zelda has so much potential yet watered down graphics to me makes it from a 'must haven't to 'probably won't buy' because I know exactly what will happen. I'd buy it, get bored, won't play, sits there for years. Heck, if you just want it for Zelda, just get it on the WiiU if you already have one.

8. hosh0

hosh0 Member

9. hosh0

hosh0 Member

It's got a 2.5-6 hour battery life. Won't be great on long haul flights.

10. samos

samos Member

Eh, they'd want to pull a rabbit out of a hat. Zelda has exceptionally long game-play which will keep most people busy for a while. But if that's their only drawcard, it seems as though the Swtich much like the WiiU will collect heaps of dust in between games.

I'm shocked Nintendo haven't learnt their lesson on this one. I mean, what did they do? Keep the console too tight lipped and left it to the last minute for third party devs to jump on it?

I'd say for a console launch you typically want to have at a minimum 3-4 solid exclusive Nintendo titles ready to go. Then the third-party devs to step in.

The N64/SNES had such a dominating presence due to Nintendo releasing some awesome games, then Rareware smashing it out of the park with some stellar titles. Banjo Kazooie was exceptional.

Edit: Because if you're not a Zelda fan, then there's pretty much SFA for you.

11. Ospi

Ospi Member

It's no issue if you fly Emerites or most Qantas planes (which I do) as they have 110v power available at the seats. I doubt the USB charging will be adequate which will be a hassle but might be wrong, it's adequate for tablets etc.

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

RRP is always a bit over what people eventually undercut it for. I think you'll find the bigger retailers selling it for $450, which is still expensive-ish ($400 would be better), but at least $20 lower.

Sites confirming today that WiiU BOTW will be 720p and have longer load times, whereas Switch will be 1080p and have shorter load times.

Switch will be the better experience for the game, much like it was when Twilight Princess came out on GCN and Wii at the same time. But yes, point understood: if you've already got a WiiU (I don't, yet) then that might just be easier.

Again, in-dock the Switch is 1080p. Handheld it's 720p, which by all accounts is more to try and keep battery life up than anything else.

As for XBox One, I can't find one for less than $399 new at the moment. Either way, it's not a "this versus that" argument for me. I typically buy all consoles of every generation. The only question is if I buy them on release, wait a year or two until prices drop, or wait a generation and buy them second hand for very cheap.

3DS has a 6 hour battery, so no different there. If the flight offers in-seat USB charging, then you're onto a winner. Otherwise, yeah, you're gaming for only 1/4 of a flight to Europe.

13. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

AU$469.95...feck.

If they had more launch titles i'd be fully on board with paying that to be honest. If Zelda, Mario kart, Mario Odyssey and Splatoon were out at the start i'd jump at it. With only Zelda? I'm not so sure....

Will Wii U's be going cheap soon? =)

14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

The price just kills it for me, I understand why it's that much but it could make it stillborn.

15. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

the fact that 1-2-switch isn't a bundle title is also pretty crazy...

16. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

The price is about on point as far as I can see, the 3DS launched at $350 and the Wii U (32GB) launched at $430.

This is basically both in one and much more powerful than a 3DS and about twice as fast as the Wii U.

It will come down during the year, no doubt bundles and what not for $400 will start showing up.

Agree 100% with this, no idea why that stupid game isn't built in.

17. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

why would you get a switch now when you can get a 2ds for <$100 and ~$400 of 3DS games that people/retailers may want to get rid of? :)

The switch is a ripoff but it should be a bargain for the ds product line on the way out.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  18. miicah

miicah Member

Have we talked about the stupid smartphone app for voice chat? What are Nintendo on?

19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Standard fare for any console. Buying everything a generation or two behind is an easy way to game on a budget.

20. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

I suppose I better start saving :leet: