Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Interestingly enough the people around work I see bumping into the most things because they're walking around buried in their phones are 40-60 year old women.

1-2-switch will be piled up in the trade in bin in no time. Same for mr gadget: boxing edition

2. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

funny because true - and they all play candy crush etc and whine about the evils of video games.

possibly not, it's not a pack in afaik.

3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I know it isn't, but people are going to buy it for their kids, and it'll be played twice and then collect dust on the shelf until it gets traded in for <insert hype game at the time here>

4. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Absolutely. This will sell very well in Japan. Its perfect for the huge number of rail commuters Japan has and they're a handheld loving country.

My only real issue is the paid online service. It was annoying enough to pay for xbox live, but at least these days the price is extremely justified with the games they give you. PS Plus is pretty reasonable as well, especially if you have a PS4 and a PSP. What does this subscription get you? A single old shit game you already have, and don't even get to keep it. For the same money Microsoft would have given you a good AAA title, a good indie title (sometimes brand new), and a solid backwards compatible x360 title. On the bright side, I have no interest in a Nintendo console for online play anyway, so its a subscription that I will happily skip at this point. Nintendo consoles are for Zelda and local multiplayer.

Anyone found a decent preorder deal yet?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FREE NES OR SNES GAME ONCE A MONTH THAT ONLY GET TO PLAY FOR THAT MONTH AND HAVE TO BUY IF YOU WANT TO KEEP PLAYING IT? Surely THAT will entice you into paying for a sub!

6. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Such good value! Why would I want a copy of a brand new indie title, outlast, killer instinct season 2, the cave and rayman origins this month when for the same money I could get a likely worse online system and a rental of my 4th copy of Super Metroid! Where do I sign up!?!?!?

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Nintendo America when they hear what ninty head office is planning for online services, a decade behind the competition and still somehow offering worse value for money than the other consoles were already doing

[​IMG]

Then they remember it's nintendo and just say fuck it

[​IMG]

8. Sledge

Sledge Member

But good on them 'for trying to be different!'
    lolol

First ninty console i have no interest in buying..

9. DuaNo

DuaNo Member

If I buy the switch I am not looking to play online with the system at all, I will most probably game with it for their exclusives - like Zelda.

I currently own the PS4 and Xbox One as well, Xbox One just has the better multiplayer online experience in my opinion.

I have not renewed my PSN.

10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Same, I've had xbl active two times total from the launch of the 360 to date.

Conveniently timed around big halo releases...

I still fully intend to buy a switch, and like others, give zero shits about the paid online service. I have a PC for my online gaming requirements.

11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Saw a tweet yesterday that summed up this thread for me:

Nintendo do the same thing as always
    General public: "Worst thing ever!"

Nintendo try something new
    General public: "Worst thing ever!"

12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Interesting time for nintendo, getting a lot publicity both from people who are criticising it and from people who are excited for it.

At least people are talking about it this time.

13. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Yep, people at least seem to know it's a new system and not a peripheral for the Wii....

14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Honestly (and I feel kind of dumb for it) it took me way too long to realise the Wii U wasn't a Wii with a new controller back in the day.

15. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Yeah, to be fair, unless you follow consoles and Nintendo it was hard to tell. They focussed so hard on the tablet part that it was a legitimate question there for a bit.

16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

To give you an idea of how clueless people are I was asked by someone about the Wii - they thought they could just but the balance board and that was "Wii Fit". I'm just glad Nintendo used their brains and made a console that actually stands out as something new. I think the only barrier will be getting people to realise that the Switch is a full plug in console not just a handheld.

I actually still want a Wii U just to grab all the good exclusives and to add to the eer growing pile of consoles in my collection :) IMO almost every console out there is worth at least something and there will be a selection of good stuff on it.

17. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Can get a used non premium (white) console for so cheap now.

18. elvis

To be fair, the name of the WiiU was stupid, just from a marketing perspective alone.

Historically Nintendo consoles that share names have been variations of others with strong backward compatibility. WiiU broke that standard, and should have had a radically different name.

At least the Switch is a brand new name (even if I think it's a stupid name, at least it's different).

19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I preferred NX... but Switch works better for what the console 'does'

20. elvis

Internal dev names for things are always better from my perspective, generally because they're invented by fellow nerds, and not marketdroids.

Goes for other companies and software as much as it does Nintendo.