Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah it's on the shopping list, I almost bought Sipheren's one a while back because it had everything I wanted (seriously I need to stop buying his used consoles, lol).

Looking for a nice black one with the good exclusives - a wtb thread might be appropriate, but the Switch, man - so expensive.

But Ninty, stop aiming at the casual mum and dad market and then confusing them! Should see parents reactions to the numerous 3DS revisions, talk about confused.

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I always thought "Nintendo 64" was a stupid name. Gamecube was good though (imo)

3. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Project Reality > Nintendo 64
    Dolphin > GameCube
    Revolution > Wii
    Project Cafe > Wii U
    NX > Switch

I think Project Reality and Revolution were better, Gamecube is an awesome name :) Wii U was screwed all round.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Agreed, and I'll be doing the same eventually. WiiU console and software prices will come crashing down for 12-24 months after the Switch is released (as people sell them off to fund other devices), and then start to soar again in 5+ years. Such is the inevitable pattern of gaming (and why it pays to never play games at the bleeding edge).

Obligatory XKCD:
    https://m.xkcd.com/606/

Random fact: The 3D "N" logo for the Nintendo 64 had 64 faces and 64 vertices.

And it makes a bloody awesome coffee table, which I want to make one day:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Sega did the best names.

Genesis, Dreamcast, Saturn, Master System, Megadrive - all class.

Ninty on the other hand - Nintendo Family Computer, Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo, Wii, WiiU, Nintendo 64, Switch. So unimaginative. Gamecube was actually the best they ever came up with imo.

Sony are just as bad though Playstation 1, 2, 3, 4 and 4 Pro. *YAWN*

Microsoft are worse than Sony though XBox, XB360 and XB1 - nice work guys. :thumbdn:

6. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I am in two minds regarding names, I like the consistency of Sony with the PlayStation line, it's simple, it works and it makes sense, but it's boring.

I liked Nintendo's NES and SNES naming, Gamecube was of course their best and after that they just gave up on names.

Sega and Atari had the names, Mega Drive, Master System, Jaguar, Saturn, Lynx.

Awesome :)

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I'm just thankful that they ditched Wii naming altogether - looking back they could have called it the "New Wii U" like they did for the 3DS line, lol.

3DS, 3DSXL, New 3DSXL, New 3DS, ram the 2DS in the middle. Just so consumer unfriendly.

Slapping "New" on a console should see you delisted from the stock exchange - it's the WORST thing a company can ever do.

8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Well really, it plays the same games, all they really did was add tracking for the 3d function, and improve the processing power a bit so the menus weren't so awful to navigate (plus the addon of the mini stick doobie)

could have re used their DSi branding I guess... "3DSi XL"

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I would have preferred the Sony model here - the 3DS XL2 - at least you know which iteration the bastard is.

10. grommet80

grommet80 Member

the 3DS already had a camera.

11. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

They should have just called it the Wii 2. It would have been successful I'm not even kidding.. would have picked up a big percentage of the casuals who bought the original wii.

12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I've been saying it should have been called the Wii Too for ages :lol:

13. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

As shit a name as Wii 2 is, it is far better than Wii U and completely dodges the problem the Wii U had where mass market folk had no clue that it was actually a new console. Given the success of the Wii, riding on its marketing and just popping out a Wii 2 would probably be the most successful marketing strategy.

I don't maintain my PSN at the moment either. Never played an online game on my PS3 or PS4 and the free games aren't usually good enough to bother collecting. It was better when I actually used my PSVita but now that it gathers dust in place of my 'new 3DS' (speaking of god awful names Nintendo wtf is that shit?!?), it just isn't justified. When our dollar was better and you could easily pick up a PSN or XBL card for ~$40 I didn't mind grabbing both but no sense paying ~$70 for something I just don't use. I'm sure the day will come that I inevitably pick up a PS4Pro and want to bash out some Gran Turismo online, then I'll resub.

14. zebu

zebu Member

even after that boat had sailed, Wii U and Wii 2 rhyme so well that someone could have made a jingle that sold units, and yet.... here we are.

15. DuaNo

DuaNo Member

Also, I'm pretty sure with PSN you can't play the free games you've downloaded if your PS+ subscrition is cancelled, whereas with Xbox Live you can still play them after you've downloaded them.

On top of that they have increased the price of PS+, Xbox Live is the cheapest.

On a little side note Sony/PS/PSN have never perfected their chat system, it's like they have two seperate systems for chat, the PS party chat, and the in game chat, you can hear it switching over with some games, me and my friends have never fully tested it.

So sometimes you can't play different games and stay in party and chat as it switches over and one or more party members go mute if they play a different game.

Have never had that issue with Xbox Live.

16. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I cant comment on PS Online, but MS Party stuff is a bucket of shit. The few times I use it to play NHL17 online with friends, its just a bugger and a mess and incredibly slow.

And thats with using NBN 100/40 so its not an internet problem.

17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

This is correct, PS+ free games are free until you let your sub lapse. Did not know that about Games with Gold.

18. neoprint

neoprint Member

That's because it's only true for 360 games. Xbone games still disappear once your sub lapses.

19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

well fuck, I almost signed up for Games with Gold. Now I'll keep ignoring that try for free offer. lol

20. Namheul

Namheul Member

Pre-ordered a switch, Zelda and a pro controller.
    Can't wait to play Zelda. Haven't properly played one since Wind Waker on GC.

Love the idea that it can be portable and a home console as well.
    Paid online is fine by me as long as the whole system works well. The use of an app for match making and voice chat sounds weird, but ill reserve judgement until we can actually see it in use and have a proper description of what it actually involves.

Mario Kart will be great (I have a Wii U and MK8 but I don't have any DLC), Super Mario Odyssey looks awesome too.