Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Reaper

Reaper Member

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

4. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

5. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Well you could say the same for xbone and PS4. They intend to hit 1080p60 where possible but xbone has plenty of games not hitting 1080p and both have plenty struggling to maintain 30fps let alone 60

Mario kart will be 1080p60. Doesn't mean every game will be.

Interestingly, my little bro is developing a game, to be published by the mob who made Hand of Fate. They approached a Nintendo rep to talk to them about getting their game on switch and the rep pretty much said no thanks we aren't after Indies at this point.
    Given Nintendo has always had trouble with getting third party games, that seems a stupid attitude. You don't want a console full of shovelware, but you should be wanting as many quality games as possible.
    At least binding of Isaac is finally coming to a Nintendo console after being shot down for years.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Nintendo just have no idea how to deal with smaller devs. And to be fair, Sony had the same problem for ages. It's just a Japanese thing - if you're not a giant corporate and don't know how to play the corporate game, they literally just don't understand how to deal with you.

More or less Microsoft brought console indie gaming to the masses, but even then only really did a decent job of it in the USA (XBLIG was non-existent in Australia, thanks entirely to the Australian Classification Board and their insane costs that destroy profits for smaller developers).

I 100% agree that Nintendo need to kill off shovelware. I was retro game hunting on the weekend, and outside of eBay there's just nothing available for GBA and DS on second hand store shelves that's not complete shit shovelware. But the way to control that is to go back to the "Nintendo Seal of Quality" days where Nintendo themselves review stuff, rather than just knocking back a developer because they're small. I mean, hell, it doesn't take long to look at early game builds to see if they're going to be utter crap or not.

It seems Nintendo, like all larger companies these days, is just bogged down in rules and red tape, and the indie scene is simply powering ahead without them. It's a real tragedy, as the mass-produced but still high quality nature of Nintendo style devices would be a great platform for so many people to develop for, if only Nintendo wouldn't hold them back. For someone like myself, I love gaming - especially smaller indie titles (very reminiscent of gaming in the 80s and 90s, where "garage developers" made amazing products in small teams), but I hate the idea of being stuck on a bulky PC to play these titles.

I wonder if someone like Valve or Microsoft will ever release a portable ARM-based platform? But I fear devs would still just be stuck in this "Wintel or nothing" mindset that's holding back platform diversity.

Heh. No offense to anyone, but the world didn't need TotalBiscuit to tell them that the Japanese love mobile gaming. Pretty obvious fact for the better part of 35 years ("Nintendo Game and Watch", anyone?). :lol:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  7. DuaNo

DuaNo Member

I haven't played Zelda since WW too, are the Wii Zelda games not that good?

I REALLY want to pre-order, but damn it's close to $700, I might wait for a sale.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  8. Namheul

Namheul Member

By all reports they are the usual amazingness that Zelda games are. I just never got around to playing them.

9. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Skyward sword was not well received (I own it... never finished it). Never played Twilight Princess myself but have heard mixed reviews.

I own WW but don't find as interesting as Ocarina or link to the past

10. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I think they're excellent but I'm a zelda fanboy. My favourite of the series remains Majoras Mask. Twilight Princess was great, but the addition of waggle controls added nothing to the game, it felt a lot like they were just rehashing elements of OoT and it had this very dark and grey mood to the whole game. It felt like a reaction against the pubic perception of Windwaker as being a bad game because of its stylised graphics so they went to the other extreme. Windwaker was excellent, although the pacing took a nose dive toward the end of the game. This is massively improved in the WiiU version, although not completely remedied. Graphics wise, today the WiiU version looks absolutely stunning. Much more so than the WiiU version of Twilight Princess because its stylised graphics don't really suffer with age. Skyward Sword had good motion controls, that were well integrated into gameplay, a fun setting. A better use of stylised graphics in a similar way to what Breath of the Wild is going for. Not as cartoony as Windwaker, but not as dark and grey as Twilight Princess.

If you can find a cheap WiiU you'll be able to play Windwaker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Skyward sword all on the one console. I'd highly recommend them all. The Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask 3DS versions are also excellent.

11. samos

samos Member

From memory they are all awesome. For some reason though, I distinctly remember Wind Waker and Ocarina. The others mash up for me a little in terms of gameplay.

The one with the wolf was twilight princess, that was good - but I think I liked Skyward Sword better.

I have a feeling this new one will bring back a little Ocarina nostalgia (hopefully). Can't wait.

12. Reaper

Reaper Member

Yea it is, just no power to get their signature golden game there. As I said, shame the hardware let that down. Looks like a pretty cool game. And this is from someone who's never followed the Zelda series fully. I know what oot is, but then everyone says twilight princess, wind walker, skyward sword, etc. I have no idea where these fall in order. Doesn't matter. :)

I would actually buy this for that game it does look that good, but it's so damn expensive and the addons. Nah, I'll hold tight.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  13. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

Got Zelda Limited Edition on preorder

Gonna hold off on the Switch - too expensive. Will wait for the inevitable price drops or ebay 20% off sale. Wonder what they'd do on Switch v2 - they can't exactly go XL model as the screen is big enough and they can't shrink the form factor... Maybe more CPU/GPU grunt for less frame rate drops

14. Boneman

Boneman Member

15. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

16. Boneman

Boneman Member

60000 yen to me is 60000 yen. ;)

17. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

[​IMG]

18. DuaNo

DuaNo Member

Are consoles still region locked?

Will that japanese version work fine with AU televisions?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  19. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Confirmed it's not region locked.

I dunno about the Wii-U, but pretty sure 3DS wasn't. I think they've all started to hear about that thing called a Global Economy :lol:

20. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Gameboys weren't either unless Jap region was the same as Aus in the bios or something