Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

There's been a lot of discussion in this thread and the Zelda one as to whether or not mobile was the right strategy, and what value that has to gamers.

Comments in reply have mentioned that the Japanese market is still very much mobile oriented for gaming. Here's some evidence to that:

Famitsu's list of the 30 best selling games in Japan during December 2016:

http://nintendoeverything.com/japans-best-selling-games-of-december-2016/

* 17 titles are on 3DS
    * 20 titles are on mobile consoles

There are zero PC, XBox or mobile phone games mentioned. I'm not sure if this is because they don't cover the platforms, or if they can't get sales data given that the distribution is handled by US companies.

Regardless, the 3DS is still printing money for Nintendo. Nintendo have said that the Switch won't kill off the 3DS, but it's clear that mobile gaming is definitely high on Nintendo's agenda given those sales.

2. Ospi

Ospi Member

3. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I never really found any desire to use online services for our Wii, Wii-U or 3DS's so feel a bit uneasy about Nintendo wanting to charge for it, i just feel they've never had a service and I cant see it competing online like PS or Xbox does for gamers so what value it will add is a big unknown to me.

4. claf-43

claf-43 Member

They have said it'd include free 'rentals', to add online functionality for NES and SNES games is a pretty nifty feature, and if it's half the RRP of the others, I'd say that's a good start.

If it also encourages them to improve their online experience, I'm all for that, gotta pay for quality.

Well no one has one there ;)

5. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Had forgotten that, but the whole rental side of things is a bit insulting compared to the other offers imo. Agree have to pay for quality, i'm just not sure it's there for nintendo. They're not really known for their own franchises, and not competitve multiplayer or largely multiplayer games which is where i think it's hard to justify a fee for online play and some rentals, even if it is a lot cheaper.

I hope i'm wrong, but I must admit after having XLive & PS Plus for a few years, i don't intend on paying more money again for a Nintendo sub and even won't be renewing XLive any more.

6. TheOneWhoIsMany

TheOneWhoIsMany Member

My wife and I have pre-ordered a Switch we've gotten a good level of use out of our Wii U owning about 6 games (all first party except for Donkey Kong - which I guess is kinda first party). Probably not good for Nintendo but honestly 6 games is probably enough given we also own a PS4 with 15+ games.

Also given we are a double income household I've got no issues spending a few hundred dollars to buying a console that we'll get a lot of fun playing Nintendo titles.

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Donkey Kong Country returns/tropical freeze are developed by a nintendo first party studio in america, and published by ninty.

Definitely a first party title.

8. claf-43

claf-43 Member

And the best studio to boot... hopefully E3 2017 reveals their long awaited work.

I think PSN started off pretty bad, they had to entice people onto PS Plus and were very generous early on, maybe Nintendo will do the same.

If the free rentals are just lousy obscure NES and SNES games no one cares for it'd really put a downer on it.... if on the other hand it's their big titles that could change things.

I really hope they allow a cheap upgrade to Switch Virtual Console games like they did with the Wii to Wii U. Not to mention, don't neglect it either...

9. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Sale lists like that never include digital titles, which means essentially you won't see many PC games ever topping the charts. But yes, Japan loves handheld gaming and will continue to do so.

I've never really heard of Japan being a terribly big PC playing population though. They certainly don't seem highly represented in any professional capacity for any PC game I follow if thats any indication of playerbase and enthusiasm for a platform.

10. grommet80

grommet80 Member

3DS is region locked. It's, USA, EUR, JAP and KOR from memory.

Some games are region free though.

11. NiRdoC

NiRdoC Member

Pre-ordered mine today with Zelda. I've only played the original on the SNES and loved it and from what I've seen it looks amazing.

I've been thinking about a handheld gaming device for a while now (I work FIFO so it's easier to carry around) so this will probably be perfect for me, just hope the battery life is OK and they bring out some decent titles to keep me interested.

12. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Sounds great for you. I'll be doing a lot of weekends away for courses this year so its a great time for a powerful new handheld for me.

If the battery isn't quite enough you can attach a standard USB-C mobile charger to give it some juice while you play. Could manage that quite comfortably on a flight. Grab a cheapy that own't explode from someone like Xiaomi.

13. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

14. elvis

Original Zelda was NES. SNES was the third game in the series.

15. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

lol the gaf delivers.

UI looks slick. Nice to see some display options. Will be interesting to see how it handles 4K screens.

Might pick one up this time next year. When there's a couple games available... :Paranoid:

16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

17. NiRdoC

NiRdoC Member

I had a feeling it was but then thought, surely it's/I'm not that old. :lol:

18. elvis

Hahaha yup, welcome to the realisation that we're all getting on. :)

Free hype.

19. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

So it's been pulled apart, can't really tell to much re the specs or anything but interesting to see how it all fits together.

Gaf Thread

Original Source

20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I saw this earlier today - super disappointed it has a fan in it. :(