1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Goddamn, my kid has been pretty brutal with my joycons and we've had nothing close to that. Hope you get it fixed quick man!

2. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

With the recent haxoring into the guts of this thing I assume it's going to be a very short period of time before it gets busted wide open, Nintendo consoles have never been that secure anyway so this could end up being an interesting console for home brewers.

I'm predicting that someone figures out how to get full access to the sd card slot and USB type C port and hacks it wide open for side loading.

SD card was the Wii's vulnerability as most will remember.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...unpatched-6-month-old-webkit-vulnerabilities/

3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Well you can play zelda BOTW perfectly fine for ~$200 bucks, so don't complain that you have to buy a switch to play it ;)

Wow.. did you ever play the N64 version? lol

4. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I used to love the n64 control! But hey, i was young and dumb :lol:

5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

lol

Play the n64 version and the 3ds version back to back. The gyro makes hookshot and bow aiming actually doable.

I played OOT all the way through on 64, then again on gamecube, then again on 3ds, 3ds was by far the best version... that was before I even had a 3ds XL

6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I've got no doubt about the improvements, i just struggle with the shape of the 3ds and the size of the buttons etc. I'm too used to ps4/xbox style

7. roamin

roamin Member

i installed haxchi on my wii u last weekend, its all browser based now, load up the loadline website inside of the wii u browser and click on the homebrew app and job done, modified software can be installed. ridiculous how easy there security is.

8. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

$200 is a lot of the way to a switch. Not complaining about needing to buy a switch. Just that I want to but don't want to :p

You get a bow??? My link has a fucking sling shot and a shield he can't use and just seems to hide under :p

9. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Still cheaper than an oil change on the gs

10. roamin

roamin Member

played around with a switch this morning, for some reason i think im going to go get one. seems like a great little unit and the new menu system looks nice and clean too. i like it.

problem is i will need 2 pro controllers too.

switch $470
    controllers $200
    zelda $80

total at 750 is a bit steep.

but i wouldnt use the stupid controller removed from the screen, on the screen they feel fine, off the screen its horrid. so i would need pro and my missus would want a 2nd for mariokart and so on.

11. Namheul

Namheul Member

I'm assuming you tried the joycon's in the grip?

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

how would you use the grip for two players? an extra set of Joycons?

13. roamin

roamin Member

yes

exactly and 2 joy cons cost more then the pro controller

14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

How's everyone buying their games?

Digital or cartridge, and also what microsd card sizes is everyone running?

15. Namheul

Namheul Member

I was going to suggest that if you didn't mind using the joycon's in the grip, you could buy a second set of joycon's and a charging grip.
    Would be cheaper than 2 pro controllers, plus you have enough controllers for 4 player games too.

16. Namheul

Namheul Member

Ill buy physical copies where available, and digital if not.
    So far only Zelda (physical) and Snipperclips (digital).

No SD card yet. Got an old 32GB card here I can use if needed.

17. roamin

roamin Member

thats a hard one really, i like to have all my games on the console as i hate changing cards/discs but at the same time i like to own a hard copy of all nintendo games i want/own. this is the main reason why i modify all my nintendo's wii wiiu 3ds and so on.

3ds is portable, i dont want to be having to carry carts around with me to change games, i have had 13 surgeries and week long stays in hospital in the last 7ish years. last thing i want is draw full of carts in a hospital when i can barely move in bed. having them all on my device makes it much easier.

the switch's main focus is portability and therefor its the same thing, id like my games on console not on carts, but then im stuck with not owning the physical game, but being nintendo and there terrible security im guessing it wont be too long before you can dump your carts onto an sd file anyway.

what would be good is if they introduced a way to allow you to dump your games onto the console and tie the game to your nintendo account via some sort of key and when you want to sell the game you can remove the key from your account which then deletes the game off your console so you dont own it any more and the next person can put the cart/key onto there account.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  18. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I'm digital only this gen but i'm battling with the small size of the concept switch's storage. I'm thinking maybe i'll just bite the bullet and get a 200GB card. The only game we'll be getting on it for a while is Zelda though so i can hold off.

I guess most games, if cross platform i'll get them on ps4 without much hesitation, so it'll just be zelda and mario games i have on the switch most likely

19. grommet80

grommet80 Member

Yeah, considering it's an Nvidia shield with a Ninty OS. The price seems really out there.

20. roamin

roamin Member

is there anything else on a nintendo? :p

pc over any console. it really is only for zelda and mario's