1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

2. The Beast

The Beast Member

Just watched it,

Nintendo Switch appears to be the new name.

I'm pretty impressed, might be my first Ninty console (that I have actually purchased).

3. Ospi

Ospi Member

As someone who flies a lot, I'm smitten, it's pretty much the perfect solution to my needs. I can see the portable aspect otherwise not being overly useful for the average gamer given the size. But sign me up!

4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

cool concept, let's see if they can pull it off.

It looks like a fancier Wii U.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

This is what a lot of people wanted the Wii U to be.

I'm keen for it :thumbup::thumbup:

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Ho boy, the memes are coming thick and fast. Pretty positive responses all up so far.

Console/mobile hybrid, local wireless multiplayer, lack of retarded controls and a new Zelda are all ticks for me. It's like Nintendo crawled inside my brain and looked at all the things that make me sad about modern gaming, and offered the antidote to all of them at once.

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Pretty sure by this point ninty has a hallway full of "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS" ideas.

8. Grant

Grant Member

I'm sold, the portability seems to be well thought out, and the software support for high-end games (at least as high-end as a Wii U+ can manage) looks like it'll beat anything Android has at the moment.

At the very least you can bet the first-party titles will make it worth it.

9. hosh0

hosh0 Member

They massively f'd up for me with the use of cartridges. Like seriously who the F thought that was acceptable in 2016.

10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Shame the tablet thingy isn't a touchscreen, I didn't see anyone touching it in the promo vid.

They probably needed to show off more than a couple of Wii U games and a remastered X Box 360 game from 2011.

The Mario game might be ok but yeah - dunno my response at this stage is very very pessimistic.

I wish them all the best though, I like the cart idea.

11. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

That tablet looks thin and very powerful. I predict 35 minute battery life :p

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

As the owner of a Tegra powered tablet (Nexus 9) I can say Tegra's on mobile are very quick and unencumbered by a general purpose OS like Android they shoudl absolutely fly.

Battery will probably be pretty good too, something that size should be able to cope with a decent size battery.

13. hosh0

hosh0 Member

720p screen should help boost that.

14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

You're breaking my heart but you might not be too far from the truth.

15. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Nintendo confirmed it right? They said high def screen, not full HD.

16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

oh god no - you are probably right - I can't imagine how ugly a tablet that size at 720P would look, you do get used to high resolution screens even on mobile.

17. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

This thing is perfect, exactly what I was looking for, my main issue with the Wii U is I can't take it anywhere away from the house.

With a Pascal based Tegra this thing should be around the Xbone is performance and that will be sweet :)

Flash storage (or cartridges if you want to call them that) are the best storage solution we have, super fast, any size you want and durable. Optical technology is the old and dead medium.

The tablet screen will be without a doubt 720P and for me that would be fine, I don't see the point in these super high res displays and 5-10" devices, pointless use of processing power imo.

I would like to see it run 1080P when plugged into the base.

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

128GB+ read-only SSD/flash/thumbdrive stype drive (maybe with some read/write space for updates) in a case versus a 50GB BluRay plus optical drive failures plus needing to cache everything on an internal hard disk all the time.

Word is Nintendo are releasing *everything* as downloadable, and the "cartridges" are there for folks who don't have Internet access (and/or want physical media still). I can't see a downside to this.

On a different topic, I'm very, very glad to see the death of waggle. I'm assuming this thing will take WiiMotes for legacy compatibility through the online store, but a focus back on traditional gamepad input makes me very, very happy. I was so tired of shaking a stick to make a character jump for so many years, when a button press would suffice.

I'm not upset by this. Like waggle, touch is overused as a gimmick, and rarely used properly. There's plenty of times it could enhance games, but 90% of the time it makes them worse.

Yeah, I would like 1080p on the portable screen, but won't cry if it's capped to 720p. I can deal with it on a screen that small.

But absolutely, 1080p minimum for the TV-out display is a must.

19. oli

oli Member

Preorder price of $999 at ebgames. Seems quite high... :(

20. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

They set it to that for everything, once Nintendo actually announce a price they change it. I would have a guess it will sit between $300 and $500.