Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

My missus is gonna go nuts!

elvis likes this.
  2. simontifik

simontifik Member

A lot of ports but I’m pretty stoked more companies are bringing their games to Switch. It’s a good chance to play some I’ve missed like Katamari and Diablo 3.

Interested to see how Civ 6 will play. Being able to play Civ in bed could be hazardous...

elvis likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

0:14 - Luigi’s Mansion 3 0:52 - Shinya Takahashi Intro 1:26 - Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn 2:31 - Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey 3:32 - Luigi’s Mansion 4:37 - YO-KAI WATCH BLASTERS 5:51 - Splatoon 2 Ver. 4 7:46 - Mega Man 11 8:43 - Mario Tennis Aces Ver. 2 Update 9:47 - CAPCOM BEAT ‘EM UP BUNDLE 10:46 - New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe 11:48 - Katamari Damacy REROLL 12:52 - Nintendo Switch Online 16:27 - NES Controllers 17:32 - Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! 18:51 - Diablo III: Eternal Collection 19:33 - Ganondorf Transmog + amiibo compatibility 19:57 - Super Mario Party 21:06 - Town (Working Title) 21:53 - Cities: Skylines Nintendo Switch Edition 22:52 - DAEMON X MACHINA 24:06 - Yoshi’s Crafted World 25:14 - Asmodee Digital 25:28 - Carcassonne 25:41 - The Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game 25:53 - Pandemic 26:14 - Catan Universe, Munchkin 26:26 - Sid Meier’s Civilization VI 27:31 - Starlink: Battle for Atlas 28:39 - The World Ends With You: Final Remix 29:00 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country 29:37 - Coming to Nintendo Switch in 2018: Warframe, Just Dance 2019, FIFA 19, Team Sonic Racing, NBA 2K19, NBA 2k Playgrounds 2, LEGO DC Super-Villiains 30:43 - FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES Remastered Edition 31:26 - Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition HD 31:45 - World of Final Fantasy Maxima 32:10 - Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY! 32:34 - Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age 33:03 - Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy X | Final Fantasy X2 HD Remaster 33:31 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Bundle 34:58 - Isabelle introduction cinematic 36:53 - Animal Crossing for Nintendo Switch

qwertylesh and elvis like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

my highlights are

16:27 - NES Controllers and 33:03 - Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy X | Final Fantasy X2 HD Remaster

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

IMG_20180914_233931.jpg

power likes this.
  6. MrBS

MrBS Member

That picture lol. I'm tepmted for FFXII, its the only one I can't already play portable, oops, the Chronicles remaster, that's a day one for some multiplayer action with MrsBS

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

How is, say, Mario Kart different on a switch than on a wii? Is it "better" (apart from the graphics)? How? (thinking about getting a switch, but they are pretty expensive. I understand that you can carry it about with you, but just sitting there at home, how is it better?)

8. simontifik

simontifik Member

This is why I love my Switch. I rarely take it out of the house but I nearly always play in hand held mode. We have only one TV in our house and my gaming PC is also hooked up to it. If my wife wants to use the TV I can just grab the Switch and sit on the couch with her and play. I can take it to bed, play in the backyard or on the dunny!

I’d tried handhelds before like the DS but never found them comfortable to play. The Switch is great for grown up hands. I mostly play indie games these days and it is the best place to play them. It’s just really easy to pick it up and squeeze in 30 mins of game time between adult responsibilities.

9. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

It's the same game and includes the DLC and a slightly different power up system.

It isn't 'better', like many of the switch titles that were on Wii U they're essentially just ports (but great if you never had a Wii U)

Surprisingly enough, the Switch doesn't have all that much more processing power than the Wii U did, so overall the games mostly look the same too

elvis likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

that's all they are doing with the ports - they are ports + dlc + some minor thing. Oh and performance gets a little bump.

Out of my systems that are handhelds i still think the 3DS is the best over Switch and Vita. Don't get me wrong I still think the Switch and Vita work great as handheld systems but sometimes text doesn't scale the best to especially the Switch. It's really much of a nothing though, compared to my Atari Lynx they are all better lol. Should really do that screen mod!! Switch also is a bit too bulky on the go - 3DS wins there too.

All in all though, what a time to be a gamer - such amazing systems.

11. elvis

Re-releases don't have to be "better". More often than not they're aimed at people who missed out on them the first time around.

e.g.: I played "Last of Us" on PS4 for the first time, despite it being a PS3 title. I'm glad they re-released it, as it's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, and I would have totally missed it had it not been for the re-release reminding me of its existence.

Many games transcend the idea of being good only for a specific era, or specific hardware. The enormous popularity of retro gaming right now proves that.

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

I know that, I'm just wondering whether it's worth buying a switch. They are quite expensive.If there's not much difference over what I've got, it's probably not worth getting.

13. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

what do you have now?

TLOU is a classic example of a game that should have bridged generations as it was pushing the original HW to it's breaking point.

Even the Wii U got some great ports from earlier machines such as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess - both games improved and benefited greatly from the move to Wii U - the stuff that's coming from Wii U to Switch just does not need to come over, the original games ran and looked great on the Wii U - this movement really is a scramble for Nintendo to get content onto the system and if you have the earlier versions the only reason to buy is um, er i can't think of any. Throwing in the DLC and a token amount of extra content is a cash grab. Thing is Nintendo has been caught out by just how successful the Switch is an have almost zero content for it year two.

The Switch I feel will be properly worth owning come maybe year 3 or 4. That is unless those Switch goes streaming first.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018 at 1:58 PM
    elvis likes this.
  14. broccoli

broccoli Member

From Nintendo, I've got wii, ds xl and 3ds something. I've got mario kart on the wii, when I looked up the switch, somebody was raving about mariokart, which led to the question as to how it's different or better than just "mariokarting" on the wii. (I don't really Nintendo much, I like the playstation better)

15. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Its almost a direct port from wii u..

16. elvis

I like a pretty broad range of video games, have been buying and collecting games for almost 40 years, and I could never justify a whole system for a single game.

The Switch is a great mobile gaming platform, has a tonne of great cross-platform indie games, and of course all of the excellent Nintendo exclusives. Whether it's "worth it" is only a decision you can make, based on the games you want to play.

17. Boneman

Boneman Member

Mario Kart Wii is a little lame, Mario Kart 7 on 3DS is much more fun, and Mario Kart 8 on Wii U/Switch is fantastic. If you just want a good portable MK get 7 on 3DS.

(You can also get the original on Virtual Console for fun and TT challenges.)

18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Well to be fair... the Wii version is very different to the Switch version... it's very different to the Wii U version too ;)

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

What makes it different though? They sell the steering wheel thing which is what I've got for the wii. Is the game itself different from just driving around a track? Is the controller easier to use that the wii thingie (I've never really liked the wii thingie, I think the controller is why I like the playstation better)

20. Boneman

Boneman Member

New physics, new graphics, more nouns, new karts and tracks. Up to you how you want to control it but I prefer a controller over the motion stuff.