1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. samos

samos Member

I love indies, typically. Are they exclusive titles, though? Where do you typically hear about the best indies - I rarely keep up to date with game releases.

Games like Firewatch, Limbo & co are amazing. But I'd just get them on PS4 or steam, usually.

2. midonnay

midonnay Member

I play tonnes on my transit bout 10 hrs a week. I'm not sure why but I like playing my switch more on the go than when I had a 3ds. Maybe cos they're full size rather than bite size games.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

for portable i still prefer my Vita or 3DS, I've taken the Switch on the go before and the size and battery life just aren't ideal. I wish the Vita wasn't on the way out but i'm a late adopter so it works for me right now there's tons to play.

4. MrBS

MrBS Member

Pokemon direct at midnight tonight, get hype?

5. asho444

asho444 Member

Really interested in where they are going to take this, I really enjoyed they way the Pokemon appear in let's go and hope they continue that trend!

6. midonnay

midonnay Member

pokken dlc pls

been 6 months since last update

7. MrBS

MrBS Member

lol I forgot Pokken existed despite owning it. Better be some info on the new mainline game coming this year to swtich!

8. Azrael

Azrael Member

Oh boy, i got out my old NES30 controller to see if it was better than the JoyCons for playing Super Mario U. It is tons better. Buttons are instantly responsive, and the timing seems spot on. The D-pad isnt as twitchy as the thumbstick and doesnt drift.

Definitely getting one of the new SF30 controllers now.

9. simontifik

simontifik Member

I’ve been playing a few platformers lately with the pro controller. It’s better than the joy cons but still not a great D-Pad. The 8bitDo controllers look like a winner, be interested to see what you think of the SF30.

10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i have a gbros and can then use anything Wii or Gamecube compatible including NES or SNES classic controllers.

http://www.8bitdo.com/gbros/

11. midonnay

midonnay Member

if you need a cheap controller for dpad games, the official Hori pokken controller is often for sale under 20 bucks at EB. Good dpad and big buttons if you have adult hands.

I have about 4 as cheap controllers to use on Steam and Ps4 (legacy controller) too.

the pro controller dpad is one of the worst in existence.....so many misinputs in fighting games.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Be interesting to see what the higher end model is like - hopefully better screen and build quality.

https://www.gamespot.com/g00/articl...r=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8=&i10c.dv=17

13. colmaz

colmaz Member

I was taking turns playing some Tetris99 with the mrs the other night. I noticed that Up on the D-pad kept responding, even though we were damn sure we weren't tapping it. Disabled Hard Down to get around it.

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I read something yesterday (will try to dig up the link) that said:

* Budget model will be same spec hardware, smaller, lighter, no vibration, can't remove joycons (permanently in handheld mode?). Considered the successor to the "New 3DS"

* Enhanced model will have "gruntier hardware" (nobody's said what - whether it's faster of the current gen Tegra X1, or they've jumped to X2, or whether that's all BS and it's just a shrunk die so it's a thinner design), higher spec (assuming 1080p in handheld mode)

Could all be total BS of course. 3DS titles are rapidly turning into complete shovelware, which is the inevitable and sad end of all Nintendo consoles. Retro-gamer-elvis loves all the SNES games on New3DS. They're still missing from Switch.

While it's annoying that, having bought a Switch on release, there's already a hardware update (I'd rather spend money on games), at the very least a budget model is what a lot of people have been asking for.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  15. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Isn't the Nvidia shield more powerful than switch at less than half the price?

I got 2 switches... I'm generally happy with it... only shitty thing is the joycons shitty reliability. . It's a dodgy component in a few ways.

16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

how does that even matter??

17. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Cause Nvidia can easily give a better cpu gpu for not much more money

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

They could have sold the Switch for less from day dot, still not seeing the relevance.

19. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Cause nintendo need to make money. Every micro cent is accounted for in mass manufacturing. We are talking about an update to the switch.

20. jpw007

jpw007 Member

One is also an entertainment system that always requires 240v (or overseas equivalent), the other is portable. They prob could have easily pushed a different one in but some sacrifices will always be made for portability and the subsequent heat and battery limitations