1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

That's the Placeholder Price not the official price..

Although it wouldn't surprise me if this thing goes for $699+. Nintendo consoles (Regular & Portable) are heavily overpriced for what they are but yet people still buy them.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yup, if they announce the price too low, they have to honour it. That's just a safety net for them so they can get their Google pagerank up a bit between now and release.

$300-$500 would be smack bang in the ballpark for every Nintendo console to date (even back to the NES and SNES days).

3. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I agree with a lot of this - exclusive touch controls are in my opinion the apocalypse of gaming - they are the worst thing in the world, cannot overstate this.

However - hybrid touch like on the 3DS or similar is the best thing ever.

I'm spoiled, my tablet is 2,048 x 1,536 at 9 inch - yes this largely benefits things like text but if they went below 1080 would just plain suck.

Even the current Tegra can do 1080P with ease but with lower res textures will be interesting to see what they can do with the machine.

4. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Can't say I'm that impressed, most likely won't buy one after having a Wii U sit covered in dust all it's life.

The 3DS covers my Nintendo itch.

5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

As much as I hate to say it, I think switching to nvidia and potentially to a non standardised platform may kill their hopes of getting all the third party support they want.

The big ones will be EA and Ubisoft, I know they are there in the early line up but if they don't generate a lot of interest in this thing you just saw a preview for the Wii U2.

6. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Even if they have EA and Ubisoft, who is gonna buy a Nintendo to play Assasins creed when most already own PS4/Xbox

7. elvis

I didn't buy a WiiU. It offered me nothing from a games library point of view. The Switch is going to have to get some confirmed titles first, but so far the console itself is offering me far more than the WiiU ever did.

Tegra is ARM with an Nvidia GPU. There are more ARM processors on the planet than any other kind. 100% of smartphones use ARM. If anything, this is *more* standard than x86.

[​IMG]

And now the memes....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

100% of mobile games are garbage.

All existing consoles are x86 and ATi - they have incredibly similar architecture and as a result devs (those lazy fuckers) find it easy to switch from one to the other. So lazy they barely bother to try and optimise between the platforms.

PC is obviously x86

Are you saying that Nintendo wants to compete with mobile? That is the worst part of the market, just shovelware, clone upon clone - absolute garbage, microtransaction city.

ick.

9. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

This is something I never understand, the processor instruction set is pretty irrelevant, having complied programs in linux to run on either x86, ARM or RISC all it entails is compiling it for the correct architecture.

The only thing devs needs to care about is the available graphics API's, which are all different anyway (Sony, MS and Nintendo all have their own). One thing I did read was that nintendo was looking to adopt the Vulkan API set which would be a missive bonus for them and make game dev very easy between it and PC.

I think people get confused when they see different CPU types and imagine that it's some major issue, as far as I can tell (from experience and research) it is fairly irrelevant, it's more about the total system performance and the Graphics API's.

10. elvis

Think about this. *Really* think about it. Have Nintendo competed head to head with Sony, Microsoft or PC in the last 10 years?

What's the easier market to take on? The Sony "oh look we released another console mid life to do 4K" Playstation? The Microsoft "squillion dollars a year on Triple A Games" XBox? The PC "Master Race 4K 144FPS or death ; consoles are for babies" crowd?

Or instead take on the failing Vita/Tablet crowd?

What's Nintendo's approach been for ages now? It's been about low-to-mid powered consoles that don't sell at a loss (the "razor blade" model is how Microsoft and Sony play it - Nintendo make profit from day one). It's about targeting simpler, more traditional gaming. It's about typically one feature/gimmick that defines the console (which is where the WiiU fell down, because it was a loner in the middle that didn't have a real identity).

Now, that's point one. Point two is that nobody writes games for a hardware platform any more. This whole myth that things are "optimised" is nonsense. What people do today is write games for SDKs like Unity or Unreal or whatever, and let the SDK/engine developers do the hard work. Sure, they might tweak some polycounts here or some texture depths there, but game design today is so high level. We're not talking writing assembler for the Megadrive's Motorola 68K and trying to port that to the Super Nintendo's Ricoh 5A22 with mode 7 optimisations. That era is long gone.

This discussion is not new. This was the same discussion for the Wii, for the DS and for the 3DS. Of Nintendo's last series of consoles, the WiiU was the only trip up. The Wii, for every criticism everyone had about it, about how it was shitty and low powered and not even 720p and the worst of a band bunch of consoles that were all crap compared to PCs anyway, made Nintendo a metric shitload of cash over it's lifespan.

[​IMG]

11. oli

oli Member

Oh right, good. :)

12. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I was going to mention that as well, pretty well all devs these days make their games in Unity, Unreal, Source, CryEngine, etc.

No devs are out their coding directly for the specific system, actually, the one exception would probably be EAD, given how well their games always run and that they only have one or two systems to target, they probably do some low level stuff.

13. elvis

And for all the "mobile games are garbage" commentary, let's take a quick look at "King", developers of "Candy Crush":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_(company)

And I quote:

Revenue - Increase US$2.26 billion (2014)
    Operating income - Increase US$661.00 million (2014)
    Net income - Increase US$575.00 million (2014)
    Number of employees - ~1400
    Parent - Activision Blizzard

It might be "garbage", but it's pretty goddamn profitable garbage. Looks like there's a lot of cash floating around in the bottom end of the market up for grabs. Why not make games that are actually half decent on a platform that's moderately priced and dominate the whole low-to-mid range market, instead of fighting for the "niche of the niche" high end in an already overcrowded market (next to Microsoft/Sony/Steam)?

Nintendo can easily dominate these shovelware providers for game "fun" quality. And I'm sure they can attract third parties on to their platform to do the same, with many of them not wanting to be hamstrung by mobile/touch interfaces.

Video so far already show things like Skyrim Remastered on this device. Re-mastering games from 1-2 generations ago for a device that can play them on the run is a pretty great idea (and not a new one, with things like GTA3 on Android being a huge seller, which again sucks because of the touch interface).

I know OCAU is the bastion of bleeding-edge-everything when it comes to gaming. But there's billions of dollars per year up for grabs in the other two-thirds of the games market. And Nintendo can and do happily sit in there without having to resort to shovelware/micro-transaction nonsense.

14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Unfortunately for Nintendo their mainstays are dying - the DS is dying it's being overtaken by mobile rapidly and the Wii U wasn't just a misstep it was a complete disaster.

The Wii printed money but it had a hook - it had a killer app like every successful Nintendo platform before it, it was cheap and sadly it had one of the worst libraries beyond some of the core experiences. Most of the games beyond first party just weren't worth touching.

15. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Not arguing against your point. But you cherry picked the example to use there, KING in the height of the growth of mobile gaming back a few years back. FWIW KING has lost something like 20% of it's value since then (it lost way more but has started to recover since activison bought it.

16. elvis

Agreed on both fronts, and I think the NX/Switch can get it back.

And perhaps I'm just too much of a Nintendo fan to be objective. But I'm genuinely excited for the Switch, which is a big change from the WiiU which left me utterly bored (again, it was the first Nintendo console in history I didn't bother to buy).

My son and I are already considering a Switch each. :)

Not disagreeing. And again, I think Nintendo are in a prime spot to offer quality in a market that's severely lacking it, and take some of that cash that people are wanting to throw about on a simpler style of gaming.

Their biggest challenge is the fact that everyone already has a phone, and games on phone are used by most because "they're already there". Nintendo have to sell a device first, which is their hurdle.

Clearly they're testing the waters with "Mario Runner" or whatever the heck it's called on iOS. But I can totally understand why they're reluctant to be Apple's bitch when it comes to being a third party developer for the first time in forever. (Somewhat just deserts, given how much of a prick Nintendo has been as a platform owner to many third parties over the decades). I can also understand why they don't want to make phones for themselves either.

I mean, I know it was a different era, but there was a time when the GBA outsold the PS2 for a big chunk, in both units shipped and dollars. That was pre the boom of mobile phone gaming, but again I think the combination of mobile phone gaming quality (specifically, the lack of it) and a fairly well designed console that's dropped the waggle gimmick might give them a real chance here.

17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Nintendo fans are completely the wrong people to pander to, they are already on board - Nintendo also did not see the big numbers from the Wii rise out of the core N audience, it was a whole new audience. Non-core gamers who saw a fun cheap thing and wanted it. I don't think the switch has that appeal - it looks like a tablet with attachments.

The tablet segment has slowed a lot so that new and shiny is gone already.

It's certainly a bold device, but I'll reserve judgement until we see what they can offer in the way of games, if the lineup is as limited as the Wii U which third parties dropped quickly in the product cycle then I don't think it will succeed.

18. Boneman

Boneman Member

Still need a device for kids, cant see many 12 and unders running around with this thing. :p

19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

ever seen what U12's do to tablets....?

yeah they break all of them.

20. ndt

ndt Member

I think this will go well with there being no real dedicated gaming devices(other than the 3ds).

I do worry this might end up with the issue of game graphics looking dated very quickly. Hopefully, eventually they can embed more ram or a secondary GPU into the modular hand controllers as a way to maybe add more grunt as time goes on.