Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Boneman

Boneman Member

I doubt its a 3DS successor. Kids need their console to run around with and throw in their bags/decorate etc. It would make sense to launch a new portable after the Switch.

2. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

The 3DS is nintendos best console I seriously hope this is not going to be the direct replacement.

3. claf-43

claf-43 Member

No way, it'd confuse the market. One platform is infinitely easier to develop for, they always talked about combining their development.

If there was any company I'd trust to make equipment that lasts Nintendo would be right up there. A phone style cover (which you know Nintendo will milk with colours) could easily protect it. Problem solved.

4. Boneman

Boneman Member

Doesnt make sense to me, I see 90% of kids in Japan with a 3DS in their hands, parents will not be buying a Switch for each dumpling. :p The portables are how Ninty print their money.

5. Strifian

Strifian Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Switch

I don't believe the rest of it honestly but I do believe that bit. Sure it is portable and you don't NEED a TV to use it, so it isn't a contemporary home console like we used to see with SNES PS1 or even 360 PS3 or whatever, but... it's a portable home console if anything? It plugs into a TV out of the box, it's just... also portable? :confused:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  6. valeo

valeo Member

They should market this to new or soon to be fathers, I reckon. Sounds perfect.

7. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Given the number of 3DS games coming out soon (Wii U ports of late too....) you wouldn't wanna admit it'll affect it imo.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not a bad idea, portable gaming. Probably not something I'd really ever be able to take advantage of but I imagine quite a few others would.

9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

people are complaining that it isn't backwards compatible with the Wii-U....crybabies!

10. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I think they'll keep both platforms going but we'll probably see more games that are on both platforms like Smash Bros was. You can't exactly slip the Switch into your pocket in the same way you can a 3DS. The 3DS will be a lot cheaper and a lot more practical to buy 3 of those for your 3 kids than it will be to buy 3 of these. Also Nintendo already support a cheap hand held and a more expensive handheld in the 2DS and 3DS. It stands to reason they would continue this trend of having 2 choices in portable console in the 3DS or Switch.

The lack of backwards compatibility is a shame to lose but its pretty understandable. Complete change in architecture and loss of the disc drive makes keeping complete compatibility impossible. I'm sure we'll see some titles ported over though and the continuation of Virtual Console. Some have already shown previously that the Shield can emulate GC and Wii titles and do a pretty good job at it. Shouldn't be hard to get this emulating at least GC and Wii titles then.

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

Can we hack it yet?? ;)

I'm not convinced, don't see the point of it for me personally, might be the first nintendo console I've skipped for a while..

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I think that will come. Nintendo are notorious for hoarding all of their content (their internal library of every single thing they've ever made is incredible). We'll see all their previous games trickled out as re-releases over time.

The downside is you'll probably have to re-buy everything you already own.

As above. These same kids had GBAs in their hands the generation before, and Gameboys in their hands before that. This isn't the first time Nintendo have released a new handheld.

The Japanese market is nuts for handheld gaming. Small, crowded houses, long days away from home (often out of the house at sunrise, and not returning until late at night, even for kids) and plenty of time on public transport - culturally they're very different to how we game in the west. It's the same reason arcades still exist in Japan, but died in the west long ago.

Nintendo are inherently still a Japanese company. And while that might bother Nintendo fans in the west (it bothers me), it's been central to how they've designed every product they've ever made. Consider Nintendo of America not much more than a marketing arm who get handed products from Japan and get told "sell these" by their Japanese bosses.

I think the point they're trying to make is that they're making games designed for larger displays, and the smaller display is just a convenient mobile option.

i.e.: we're not going to see "Pokemon Go" style games for this thing, but rather games that follow traditional
    "sitting on a couch with a gamepad" style gameplay design.

I said earlier in this thread that I hated the Wii's "waggle factor". And while there were a handful of games that used it well (Metroid Prime 3, any of the arcade lightgun shooters, "Sin and Punishment: Star Successor", etc) mostly it was an overused gimmick.

The DS's stylus isn't as bad, but there's been times when games forced the player to use it where it totally wasn't necessary. I'm hoping the Switch doesn't include touch controls, for all of these reasons - I don't want to see games forcing people to use lame touch controls where physical buttons would do just as well.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  13. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I can't see the switch having too much issue with overuse of touch controls in its games because touch screen gaming on a tablet isn't at all a new novelty to show off and its already something felt to be inferior to having some joysticks flanking the screen. There often are the launch window titles that have features just to show off the gimmick, see every PS4 launch window title and its use of the track pad, or the launch titles for xbone's use of Kinect, but there they were trying to sell you on a particular new gimmick. Here the real new gimmick is the switching between home console and portable, not the touch screen.

So anyway I hope it does feature a touch screen. I suspect it will, it makes no sense to not have it. I suspect they just haven't shown or said much about it because its not really a selling point or special feature of the console.

14. Ospi

Ospi Member

I'm personally just glad that Nintendo aren't making another generic gaming console. We already have 2 choices if we want to game in that manner so having another option to go about gaming is a benefit to consumers. The effectiveness of the product is to be seen but I have hope.

15. pb3xunleashd

pb3xunleashd Member

It will be the greatest "something to do whilst on the crapper" invention to date.

First console i'll be buying since the ps3 for that exact reason.

16. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

I like it.

A couple of the use cases they show I would actually like. Such as telling the kids to take the game into another room.

I suppose it will come down to how much it all costs, I bet all those 'switch' options aren't cheap!

17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

that also describes the Wii U unfortunately (but that had a bit of an identity crisis). Be nice if second screen was an option at least.

18. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Original gameboy with Tetris is still a better something to do on the crapper invention!

19. hvalac

hvalac Member

Hell no, you can't play 2 player tetris on the crapper but you can play 2 player games now. in march

20. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh