Nintendo Switch Pro (placeholder title)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Sep 11, 2020.

1. power

power Member

So there's been some buzz this week around devs being encouraged to prepare 4K ready stuff for Switch.

I think this will be a fairly long speculation thread and no-one knows what it will be called yet, I assume Nintendo will have internal codenames but they'd be crazy not to make this happen, next gen MS and Sony consoles are going to be very compelling machines and the Switch well it's going to struggle going forward even over the next 2 years I'd say.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...said-to-boost-switch-production-by-another-20

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  2. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

could we get this sooner than we thought?

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...switch_pro_consoles_but_does_it_mean_anything

upload_2020-9-24_7-52-13.png

3. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

I really don't understand the appeal of playing a switch graphics quality game in 4k... but that's me... its graphics are not even better than ps3

4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Switch is struggling to get to 1080p now and this will effect the ability of third party publishers bringing ports over from next gen machines, after a while they just won't bother.

Switch hardware is well beyond it's used by date, currently they are relying on being a secondary console.

5. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Disagree... the switch is successful cause it's nintendo. They are hitting all their first party stuff out the park. Their system is unique and is very appealing to young buyers.

There is hardly any great 3rd party stuff on it and all their best sellers are rehashes or updated first party that doesn't need 4k.

Just saying I'm not sure there would be much appeal or demand for a 4k capable switch... doesn't make much sense to me.. but who knows...

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

you're shittin' me right?

"because Nintendo" is not a thing.

Wii U - flop
    Gamecube - flop
    N64 Virtual Boy to keep the N64 fans happy - flop

Their first party consists of 99% Wii U ports and all this work they've done on an N64 and Gamecube emulator tells me to brace for more ports, that is not what most would call out of the park.

The system is very unique for sure, I will grant you that. It is at the moment paddling in a different pool and it's doing extremely well, but that well will dry up - they need to get out ahead of it and I assume they will.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  7. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Of that list I would only count the Wii U as a 'flop'.

qwertylesh and Smoothie like this.
  8. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

wii u was a flop.. but its actual games are still selling massively on the switch ... everyone loves nintendo first party stuff. their machines have never been highly specc'd since the super nes... they dont want/cant to compete in that space.

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Point is Nintendo won't want to lose the momentum they have with Switch and a better performing refresh is a no brainer.

10. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

i would disagree.. they should put their efforts in more first party games as games drive console sales. we need another mario, another zelda, metroid, mario kart, etc maybe brand new stuff.

we've basically had 1 mario kart in 2 generations of consoles, there is a new zelda incoming, but that like an expansion to the current

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Oh I want software too, to be honest the lack of software is REALLY starting to piss me off. But if you aren't a AAA dev any game that's remotely demanding is a bit of a disaster on Switch performance wise and AAA studios really strip their ports back too. Hell even old 360/PS3 games are barely good enough.

12. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

How was this a flop? I remember the n64 release and years following being amazingly popular, be it not as good as the PlayStation - it was no Sega Saturn

13. Qtr_Mile_Stud

Qtr_Mile_Stud Member

Wii was not a flop in terms of sales, it did 100 million where as the PS3 did 86 million.

N64 was limited due to its hardware causing a lot of 3rd party developers going to Playstation but in regards to its games it still released some of the best ever made for its time.

I wish Nintendo focused more on releasing more quality games.

I dont need fancy big graphics as long as it has great gameplay and storyline.

14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Thanks for proving my point.

Don't we all.

15. Fitzi

Fitzi Member

I agree however it seems it is much easier to just improve the graphics but much harder to come up with a creative idea with interesting and compelling gameplay.

I think this is the main reason most people like a retro remaster (if done well) with no or little changes to the actual gameplay.

16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I'm all in for a more powerful switch. The wife and I then won't have to battle for who gets to use the OG switch... she will be and I'll have the better one :lol:

Only issue is bigger/prettier games getting ported will still have the expectation of running on the original hardware

17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

New 3DS handled this ok, as did the Gameboy Color a million years back. Both systems had hardware-aware titles that would change to suit the running hardware.

Later in life on both, titles appeared exclusively for the more powerful hardware. But that was years down the track.

Out of curiosity, can you run your Nintendo account and digital games on two different devices? Even if manual flipping back and forth is required (sign into one, download games, sign out), that should be ok for my use case.

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

it can be painful. (just what i've seen people say about it).

19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah I figured. As long as I can download everything to both devices, that should be good. I don't play anything online, but my son is addicted to Smash online.

If I can pull all my digital games to one, log off the eShop/NintendoOnline but keep the games there, that should be OK.

20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

watch a few videos on the subject by Wulfden. He goes back and forth and updates thoughts and notions but overall gives you a good idea of owning more than one Switch with digital stuff.

elvis likes this.