1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

nlite - make customised windows CDs

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by looktall, Aug 14, 2004.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well I managed to get my size down to 400M + drivers (another 50M....so it's quite a good little app. And when I installed it windows ran quite a noticable bit quicker!

Nice little app, I did have a couple of issues though, not huge, but you can stuff up the disk big time if you tick the wrong thing(s) for removal ;)

2. Munkiboy

Munkiboy Member

i must have missed that warning. i tried to be careful and read all the warnings, but i went through it quite quick. i will try downloading ie6 installation and see if that helps...

EDIT: windows update tells me i already have the latest version of IE6 and won't come to the party. no outlook express for me unless i do a reinstall :( :thumbdn: my own fault though

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  3. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Win!

"Finished. Size of installation is 220MB. Reduced by 356MB."

EDIT: shame I can't do an unattended as I need SATA drivers. :(

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You should be able to integrate most drivers into your install. You will have to modify your unattended install before burning though. If you give it enough effort you should be able to do it. I've integrated ATi, nForce, Leadtek tuner card and Creative soundblaster drivers into the cd also. There is a guide here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=13173

http://unattended.msfn.org will explain modifying making your own winnt.sif file (or modifying the one created with nLite) and including the $OEM$ driver path directories for all your drivers.

5. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Yeah, been trying that for the past 10 CDs Mr Chilled, finally gave up on the idea. Would always bluescreen when the windows install started and tried to load the drivers (0x000007e/f/b/c).

:tongue:

6. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph Member

Did you leave all the drivers intact?

7. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

All? This was before I discovered nLite, so yes. All I was doing was adding the drivers and doing an OEM install. Didn't work tho.

8. dcl

dcl Member

Awsome. I'm actually looking forward to my next format lol.

9. OP
    OP
    looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

new version has been released guys.

and this one includes....
    *drum role*

driver integration!

:D

now before you all go getting over excited, the drivers must be in the form of an .inf file. so .exe files and self extracting installers won't be much good unless you extract the driver files first.

http://nuhi.msfn.org/download.html

enjoy. i know i will.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I was reading about this the other day, apparently not all drivers will work though. I've had a problem with a couple of them that just don't want to install automatically for some reason. Namely Creative Audigy soundcard drivers, and TV tuner card drivers.

But it's a good step to a complete package :thumbup: ....I'm just waiting for application integration, perhaps via batch file maybe.....but hopefully all that stuff will be in the next release. It definitely can be done, I have a slipstreamed version of XP Pro that has .net installed automatically unattended just after XP installs. Haven't tried any other apps at this stage though.

11. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph Member

If you go to MSFN's Unattended site it does show you how to slipstream other applications in.

12. cuahtemoc

cuahtemoc Member

Do any of you guys know which services to leave enabled so the XP SP2 Firewall keeps working? I've tried 3 times now to slipstream an sp2 install, and every time it wont let me access the firewall settings to turn the stupid thing off.

13. OP
    OP
    looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

so you want to know how to leave the firewall enabled so you can turn it off? :wired:

the firewall is controlled by the security center service.

14. Submariner

Submariner Member

Check out:
    www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    Great explanations for the services and he will be updating it soon for SP2.
    AFAIK:
    "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing"
    "Network Connections"
    services need to be enabled for the Firewall to work.

Edit:
    BTW the "Security Center" service can be disabled and you can still turn off/on the firewall.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  15. cuahtemoc

cuahtemoc Member

Tried with both of those enabled/disabled, still couldnt do it.

16. pippin88

pippin88 Member

Nice program.

Will be truely useful when it allows integration of SATA drivers.

17. slab

slab Member

Hey, I had a fiddle with nlite this morning and tried to add nvidia video card drivers and the latest nforce drivers into the cd. It all seemed to work fine until I booted the cd and when copying the files ove the windows installer cracked the shits and said it couldn't read the file nv4_inf and a few others pertaining to the various drivers. I could click ignore and continue the installation, although without the various drivers. The odd thing was the sound/lan drivers appeared to install and work fine. Reckon this would be a problem with the nvidia drivers or nlite? Or a combination of the two?

Kieran

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

nVidia drivers should be fine. You just have to make sure the installer is pointing to the EXACTLY correct directory (under $OEM$) and that the inf files are all in that directory, and not sub directories in that driver folder. You can check this before making the iso.

19. marknvicky

marknvicky Member

About driver intergration , If I intergrated drivers in to my xp disc and later on changed hardware would the installation still try to install the drivers ,
    Or would they only install if they detected the correct hardware

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Windows will only install drivers for the correct device, and if other drivers cannot be found for that device then it will just use the MS default ones. I couldn't be 100% sure but I don't reckon your installation will error if it finds other drivers for some other non existant device on the cd - it just wont do anything with them.