No caller ID

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by iMomOx3, May 2, 2011.

1. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

So before I've been putting up with it and now I'm fed up. It's been around 1 year and 3 different phones that I've not seen a phone number show up when I receive a call.

I know for sure it is not my current phone as like I said, the last 3 phones used have had the same problem. Is this a sim problem? It's a prepaid sim on Optus. All my contacts are stored on both my sim and my phone - same problem. When I receive a call the phones displays "Unknown" as if it can't find anything.

So is it my sim card? It would have to be and if so are there any ways to solve this without having to buy a new sim.

2. hak

hak Member

blocked caller ID is a feature that everyone can use, if the caller decided to block his/her ID before calling you, then you will get "unknown". Have you tested this with by using another phone to call yours to confirm it happens with every caller?

3. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Definitely took that into consideration as well. However that's not the problem here. Have used my siblings phones and turned caller ID on. Still no luck. As well as the home phone.

4. hak

hak Member

try putting sibling's SIM in all those 3 phones and use your own SIM in sibling's phone and dial your number again

then do it vice versa to confirm its not the 3 phones that is faulty.

5. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

I'd do it but they wouldn't be happy about me doing so haha. Also, its very doubtful its the 3 phones. What would be the chances of that?

6. hak

hak Member

siblings not willing to help each other, what would be the chances of that? :eek:

7. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Being annoyed by me having to take their sim card out haha. Still no update but will try it out tomorrow morning.

Alternatively, if anyone has any ideas on what I can do without having to change sims/phones etc please let me know.

8. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Member

Is there a way to check the settings of your sim online? Check that you have caller ID turned on. I am with TPG (which uses the optus network) and I am pretty sure that I have the option of turning incoming caller ID on or off.

Alternatively, have you asked Optus to turn on incoming caller ID.

9. Tobes1990

Tobes1990 Member

Yeah dude, sounds like you're gonna have to give Optus faults a call.

10. hak

hak Member

if its really a sim fault u pay $0 for a replacement

11. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Just made an Optus account and registered my mobile. Saw this "manage products" section and there was a yes/no option under CallerID. Ticked yes and it said I had to wait 36 hours for confirmation of my services or something.

Really hoping this solves the problem. I don't understand why it would be on the 'no' option. Lets see how things go in the next day or two. Thanks for the heads up!

12. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

WOOOOOOOO! It's working now! Thanks thrillhouse, checking the optus site and making an account worked. Got it all sorted online even though it took 2 days to work, but worth it!

Consider this thread closed.

13. Dorz

Dorz Member

i had exactly the same thing happen when i switched to optus... was about to suggest it when i realised you had found the answer! i called them though, was all done very quickly.