1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

No Knead Bread

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by username_taken, Nov 20, 2008.

1. username_taken

username_taken Member

No Knead Bread - basic recipe

I've been reading about this no knead bread phenomena that's been flying around the internets tubes for some months now, and have remained skeptical about it. I mean, it's too easy right? How can real bread be made without beating the crap out of it to develop the gluten? it's crazy talk!

Earlier in the week I promised a collegue that I'd teach him how to make pizza from scratch, and was thinking about the logistics and mess behind making pizza dough at work. I was about to tell him to forget it when I remembered about the no knead method.

After making it, I'm a total convert. I think it will be a rare occurance from now on for me not to have some dough in the fridge ready to bake bread at any time. I can't wait to try out all different types of bread to see how versatile it really is.

[​IMG]

No Knead Bread - basic recipe

6 1/2 cups of all purpose flour ( the skeptic in me made me use bread flour )
    1.5 TB salt
    1.5 TB yeast ( I used 2Tb, but that's just how I roll )
    3 tsp sugar
    3 cups of tepid water

Put the salt, yeast and sugar into a large mixing bowl ( I used a big salad bowl ) give it a quick mix to combine then add the flour and mix again.

[​IMG]

Pour in the water and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough is evenly moist throughout. It will be quite sticky.

[​IMG]

Cover the bowl with a teatowel and put in a dark warm place for a few hours. Then cover with plastic wrap and put the bowl into the fridge for at least two days, and up to two weeks. The bread flavours mature and start to develop sourdough characteristics the longer it's left.

To make a simple loaf of bread simply remove about a quarter of the dough and flour it and your hands well as it will be quite sticky. Holding the dough in your hands, slowly fold the edges underneath itself being careful not to knock out the air stored inside.

[​IMG]

Sprinkle some polenta on a sheet of greaseproof paper and put the dough on top. Leave it to rest and preheat your oven to 180 C, preferably with a pizza stone on the top shelf and a pan of water on the bottom. I didn't have any paper, so I used a thin aluminium pan.

When the dough is at room temperature put it in the oven for about 20 minutes.

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

Here's a good use for the no knead bread dough, simply remove a chunk of the dough from the fridge, flour it, and roll it flat.

[​IMG]

Fill it with pizza toppings such as Chorizo, Pepperoni, Mushrooms, Basil, Mozerella, Capsicum.

[​IMG]

fold the dough over and seal the edges, put a sprig of basil on top and drizzle with olive oil. Transfer to a sheet of baking paper with polenta sprinkled on it, and then bake at 200 C for about 20minutes on a pizza stone.

[​IMG]

3. Mooncat

Mooncat Member

Heh, that's what I would call damper! Best served with sweet black tea and a little butter on the damper.

Nice thing to do with it also is put in some precooked mashed pumpkin or sweet potato.

4. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

no, it's completely different to damper. It's bread.

5. Sunset

Sunset Member

I don't understand.
    Is it dense and/or tough?

6. scrantic

scrantic Member

Damper wouldn't have the yeast in it...

7. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

No, neither of those things, it's exactly like normal bread. It's as good a bread as I've ever had out of a bread maker.

8. aussierob

aussierob Member

what's "all purpose flour" ... is that "self raising flour"?

9. Rational

Rational Member

I am going to make this tomorrow. Looks very interesting.

10. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Thanks for the recipe UT, will come in handy i'm sure! I'll make some later this week.

11. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

I made Chilli Con Carne today, and baked a loaf of the no knead bread. This was the result, you can clearly see the proper bread structure.

[​IMG]

12. n2o_spark

n2o_spark Member

it's probably relying on a technique/process called autodigestion.

in-fact strangely enough i was just watching yakitate japan ( an anime about bread making pretty much ) and this technique was used to make bread using a flour made from a very fibrous type of wheat . When using said flour, gluten doesn't form very easily and as such you'd have to knead it a shit load to make it work ( kneading it is also very difficult too ). so they put it in the fridge for 3 days for the dough to ferment.

using said technique needed for no knead bread, they got the dough to work.
    anime can be so random, and so life

oh and i'll have to try this some time.... looks tasty :D

13. zeegermans

zeegermans Member

gluten is going to be formed anyway once its mixed (with the right flour) just stretching it using a bread mixer is going to develop it a lot quicker. You can get it down from 2 weeks to 4-6 minutes using a small mixer and a hook attachment. You could probably add some gluten to it might make it a tad faster.

14. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Looks like a very nice calzone, might make some later. I'm curious though, how long can you leave the dough in the fridge for? If I make a huge batch today, when would I have to throw out any that's left over?

15. lench

lench Member

looks very tasty but it looks like it would take too long to make
    might give it a try before christmas (when i might have a chance of fitting it in the fridge)

16. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I just got a second fridge which is half full of beer and could certainly use some more contents so that we don't look like alcoholics. Heading to the shops now :D Shame I'll have to wait a few days before I can make myself a pizza with it.

Update: This looks interesting if you have an appropriate pot to make it http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  17. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

that's a great video of the process. He doesn't keep his in the fridge due to the fact it only takes 12 hours, the fridgerated version just allows you to do a bigger batch and use it as needed over 2 weeks.

I did the bread for the chilli in a pot in the oven exactly like he showed, but I didn't have anywhere near as awesome a crust. Maybe I needed a higher temp, or the wheatgerm made the difference.

18. scon

scon Member

Interesting. This would be way handy if you didn't have a breadmaker...

I think the next project I want to try is making a sourdough starter, i might start my starter starting tonight.

19. Melzawelza

Melzawelza Member

this seems pretty damn cool, unfortunately i have two aldi pizza bases in the freezer (Which a pretty freaking good but still..) so ill wait a while before i make it.

20. Bionic

Bionic Member

I made this.. made the dough last night. and made a bread tonight. it turned out quite nice BUT... 1.5 TB of salt I recon is way to much. It turned out very salty indeed. I measured it out perfecly with propper measuring spoons and cups.

Going to make it again in the next few days with only a pinch of salt