1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by ADV, Dec 8, 2013.

1. power

power Member

It's still wasted overhead.

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Its not encrypting, its decrypting that takes a long time as this is what you will normally be waiting for. It takes a very long time on a phone and the encrypted phone files are tiny. (My galaxy note 4 is encrypted)

Try doing the same with 30GB of data... as its slow even for fast computers.

3. giles666

giles666 Member

Encryption is not particularly cpu intensive. Your bloody smartphone does it constantly.

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

DECRYPTION

Phones are noticeably slower in general and in startup because of it.

Do some research please.

5. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

You've been quoted twice, and you used the word ENCRYPTION.

Get off your high horse.

6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

He said encryption.

He meant to say decryption.

Cool stories - Can we get bacl to the NMS Hype Train please?

I'm transplanting my PC to a new case and going to copy my steam drive to an SSD so the entire PC is SSD - Pumped to get it finished for this and my new 1440p screen :D

7. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Phones run on architecture designed for power saving over performance, and often don't include the dedicated encryption (which also means decryption) CPU extensions that accelerate crypto calc and make it a near non-even.

Here's a single-threaded benchmark on my 2.2GHz i7 3000 series laptop CPU.

Code:
    # cryptsetup benchmark
    #  Algorithm | Key |  Encryption |  Decryption
         aes-cbc   128b   491.2 MiB/s  1945.5 MiB/s
         aes-cbc   256b   366.5 MiB/s  1368.2 MiB/s
         aes-xts   256b  1596.4 MiB/s  1540.3 MiB/s
         aes-xts   512b  1258.1 MiB/s  1209.4 MiB/s

Around 1.5GB/s decryption, one thread (It's a quad core with HT CPU, so that's 7 logical cores idle).

"Do some research please".

8. giles666

giles666 Member

Back on topic.

There are quite a few streams starting to pop-up on twitch. The start game ones don't really contain any spoilers imo, so pretty safe to watch.

Game looks properly brilliant for the short bits I have watched. A bit buggy, but that's a bit expected from and indie game, and bugs can be fixed.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  9. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Has there been any further news on steam release, or is it still set 3 days after console launch?

10. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Sony (PS4) are the publisher, so them's the breaks.

Stream release: Available: 11 August
    This game will unlock in approximately 7 days

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Everything you are saying is irrelevant.

Its slow on computers and phones, its going to be slower on consoles and will be crazy slow to decrypt a 30gb game.

So yes, do more research.

12. giles666

giles666 Member

The game is not 30Gb. It is 6gb, most of which is the music and sound (which obviously would not need to be encrypted).

This would apply to any game though. You also only need to decrypt it once, when you install it to the console on first play.

13. elvis

Horse shit. The PS4's Jaguar CPU includes AES acceleration instruction sets. The decryption is done real time on file load, and the upper bounds of that are higher than the BluRay disk can read, so you won't even notice it.

We encrypt every single laptop in our business. Zero slowdown on those for the same reasons - you're not decrypting your entire hard disk to RAM every time, you're decrypting realtime on each block read.

The biggest limit with the PS4 is getting the information off primary storage (hard disk, SSD) over the SATA2 bus into main memory. That's going to be capped at about 100-200MB/s at absolute best (assuming you've upgraded your PS4 to an SSD drive), which is around 10% as fast as is needed to saturate the crypto calc of a Jaguar CPU.

I do this sort of stuff (large scale sysadmin work, large scale security work) for a living. It's literally a daily task for me to sort out how encryption affects our business' cost benefit. Encrypting data at rest is now a non-issue on modern CPUs, as decryption rates far exceed individual hard disk transfer rates. About the only time you'd see a bottleneck is on bleeding edge PCI-E/m.2 storage, or very large RAID arrays.

Your phone is a *really* shitty example of realtime decryption problems, given the combination of a low end power-efficient CPU, and terrible internal storage transfer speeds.

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

If they are going to encrypt games on the Sony Store, they will all be encrypted. They are not going to implement this feature just for this game as it is smaller then other games.

You see I can't be wrong because I'm stating facts.

Go and preorder a Steam game that is encrypted then tell me that it decrypts at the same speed it would by copying the files manually. It won't.

You are talking about CPU's, I never mentioned it was CPU capped, obviously my 5820k @ 4.5Ghz is not CPU capped.

And you are basing the PS4 on not being painfully slow because you assume everyone has modded it with an SSD? :lol:

You need to face the fact that the PS4 is going to be painfully slow to decrypt after downloading.

15. shizmo

shizmo Member

Fark dudes who cares.

16. elvis

Way to completely miss the point being made. Well done.

Realtime descryption on read, not "this is an encrypted file, decrypt the whole thing now". Entirely different.

Lord help us.

17. power

power Member

I'm just waiting for the reviewers to get their hands on this to tell me if there's enough game for someone like me to stay interested.

We don't have a clear indication of what to expect other than pretties and exploring and a bit of trading and dogfighting/fps - I want to know what else it has to offer. I'm not interested in the leakers either, they usually give terrible first impressions.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The point being made was that encrypting No Man's Sky is not suitable for consoles. Why go off topic?

19. elvis

It is suitable, and both the PS4 and XBox One can handle it with their current CPUs. End of story.

I get the feeling it's going to be an open-ended affair. No real conclusion, no real "finish". Very Minecraft-esque.

If you're the sort of person who needs a conclusion, this might be irritating. If not, then all good.

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You are of course talking out of your behind.

A raspberry pi could handle it too, but I'm not here to talk about things the way you are. Consoles are too slow to do it in a reasonable time.

I suggest you do some research before posting.:thumbup: