1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by ADV, Dec 8, 2013.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Good lord you're slow on the uptake. You're still comparing low power ARM CPUs to modern x86 CPUs packed full of AES crypto extensions? Are you going to keep telling me that a mobile phone and a PS4 are "the same thing"?

Are you absolutely sure you work in a technical field?

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I never compared anything, try to read slower and more carefully.

My point is that anything can do anything, a PS4 can technically decrypt large games, its just super slow.

Again, do some research please

3. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

What did your last slave die of? Do some yourself, numbskull, and stick to topic, you've derailed it enough.

4. Ryansta

Ryansta Member

So I caved and bought it today... Only noticed now steam still think I'm in South Africa so release date is 13th :(

When I read it was an indie title thought I'd support the guys, hopefully it's semi decent at least.

5. power

power Member

Yeah I've bought a couple of survival type "make your own fun" games based off the way they were presented and found myself disappointed. I think the difference is that being on a console they won't go full trudging through the snow for 30 minutes to die route so there might be some meat on the bones. :)

The game that comes to mind mostly is "The Long Dark" that was the long yawn for me. No objectives, just survive. So much meh.

End of the day there's plenty of fun stuff coming out at the moment. Just be nice if every single space game didn't end up being a 4X game or some hardcore thing like Eve, Star Citizen or Elite - seriously why does this happen? Not everyone wants to dedicate 3/4 of their life to a space game yet that's all that seems to be available.

6. elvis

I showed you a low-to-mid range x86 CPU with AES instructions decrypting data at 1.5GB/s, which is anywhere from 3-6 times as fast as any SATA drive on the market today. Real world encryption/decryption tool (running on my work laptop right now, which has an encrypted disk), doing real-world tasks. There's my research.

Please, tell me how decrypting data realtime (i.e.: per block read) will slow the system down with that evidence presented. I've given you real world numbers. Please, do the same in return. I'll park this discussion here to avoid the back and forth until you present real world numbers that back up your statements.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  7. elvis

I find myself in the same boat - I've given up on a lot of games because of the time required to invest. I love the look of things like "Rust" and "Ark", but goddamn I don't have that sort of free time.

Hell, I literally booted up Phantasy Star on Master System last week, and started grinding through that. Even that's causing me grief, because I don't have the hours to invest (even though I'm loving it, and happy to finally get stuck into my 8-bit pile of shame).

I remember well the hours I could put into gaming in my university days. Not so now. A shame, though, to miss out on these enormous quests, which I'm sure could be rewarding otherwise.

How long until the robots take over my job, and I can game 8 hours a day?

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Just because the CPU isn't maxed out it doesn't mean the hard drive can decrypt the files at full speed, especially a mechanical hard drive and especially the PS4 as many aspects are slow in general.

There is a reason why when you put an SSD in the PS4, and ignoring the SATA limitations that it has limited improvement.

9. HeXa

HeXa Member

no sure if serious...... :Paranoid:

PS4 PKG files are encrypted with AES

millions of PS4 owners have no problem with this

EDIT: the HDD also has on the fly transparent block level encryption of the content

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

No Man's Sky and other games don't come encrypted on the disk, thats the discussion here.

They would need a decryption key from the Internet which would defeat the purpose of PS4 games being playable with an offline PS4.

Then after that everything would need to be decrypted to the hard drive.

11. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

The best part is where he's repeatedly asked to show research, figures, numbers, but comes back with "just because" and "you're wrong" and "do some research".

Best. :cool::thumbup:

12. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Can't really talk TO bart, too much D-K going in in there. Back on topic, anyone know download size?

13. power

power Member

meh, encryption enshmyptions I'm still wondering how all this procedurally generated guff is going to make places feel remotely real - it's got me curious.

I wonder if there will be worlds like maybe advanced worlds that the ships you see flying around come from? So you'd have big huge cities or is that a pipe dream (it feels like one).

14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Can you just fuck off to another thread already?

Probably some random code generator that could run for the decryption key anyway that itself is encrypted so only Sony can know the code generation algorythm in case someone got it off the ps4.

Oh jesus. I'm joining in. But that's OK, i'm not using facts either just stating stuff so i'm well qualified :thumbup:

15. HeXa

HeXa Member

no it wasn't - the discussion was a result of you saying

when the truth was the PS4 (and PS3/vita) already successfully use an encrypted download and local decryption method (like Steam)

EDIT: and PS4 game discs are encrypted and the PS4 has a dedicated crypto processor

physical version is 6GB, so download size from store will likely be around that (plus day 1 patches :p)

16. giles666

giles666 Member

One of the streamers that got it early and manager to get to the centre already did a 'review' stream. There are a few spoilers in there so if you are sensitive to that do not watch.

In summary, he said it was great and he was having a heap of fun with it an expected to keep playing it for quite a while (he is about 40 hours in).

There are a fair few bugs however, only one game breaking one that is easily avoided, the rest are just cosmetic/annoying.

(It's easy to find on Daily Motion if you want to watch it).

17. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

I think my biggest thing is how flying the ship will feel with KB+M, or whether I should break out the X-52 hotas for that stuff.

edit: oh, cheers HeXa

18. power

power Member

I think you'll find it very controller friendly.

yeah I really don't want spoilers so I'll wait for professional reviews.

19. shizmo

shizmo Member

Yeah I feel there is no point to HOTAS this game.

20. elvis

To be fair, procedural generation is used in a lot of other games, but often as the starting seed.

For example, I was watching the Just Cause 3 dev interviews, and they spoke about how they start with procedural generation to make the maps, towns and locations. Once done, they "set it in stone" and use that as a base to build from.

Their advantage, of course, is if it looks terrible, they can scrap it and start again. Real-time in a game is very different obviously. But there's also a handful of games that have done this in the past to varying levels of success (Minecraft always gets brought up, but it's not a terrible example).

At the very least, you've got a couple of planets to try if you don't like the one you're on. :lol:

Agreed. Doesn't look terribly fast paced.