No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by ADV, Dec 8, 2013.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Subnautica! Nice.

I still need to see more optimisations before I get back in.

2. Revenger

Revenger Member

Well I don't know if I'll be playing for a while.
    Losing a years worth of save kinda is annoying my freighter etc.

May pick it back up on the save I had a year ago but with the grinding and repetitiveness it had to get anywhere it's not too appealing.

I'll see what happens I guess.

3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

This game is coming soon to VR, and actually looks good.
    When did they add underwater bases and land vehicles?

4. ndt

ndt Member

I think they added it in one of the last updates in 2018. As much as this game has come good, hello games put in very shit elements in the updates to pad out the game play. Sentinels attack if they see you mining anything. Finding crashed ships is garbage now, most of the time you're lead to a crash site that has no ship or the other half of the time the distress beacon takes you back to a site you already visited. They removed that the ship targeting pickups up crashed ships so you can't fly along spamming the targeting button to help stumble onto crashed ships. If you do find a crashed ship, you can only swap ships once, you used to be able to change back to your old ship if you left stuff but now you can't, so make sure you take everything.
    The building and atlas missions now have occasional 90min cool downs. The farming has stupidly long grow times, some of the plants have 16 real time hours.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  5. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yep there was a big community event towards the end of last year, each new stage in the event they updated and added some stuff. The underwater bases was the last of the big ones along with some new vehicles I think. I got a bit bored with it though and moved on.

I think what tipped me over was the lack of optimisation in the base building. I was in the middle of throwing together what I thought was a rather modest base, but turns out was actually epicly huge in NMS terms, it's basically unplayable with elements not loading until you're standing on them. That combined with the farming/harvesting grind and yeah. Just sucked the fun out of a game I was really enjoying.

ndt likes this.
  6. ndt

ndt Member

Yeah thats what I found too. Like I end up building same boring base each time cause you hit the build limit so quickly. They sell NMS as this sort of create your own story game but then put up fences to make sure you play NMS how they want you to.

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

It definitely left me scratching my head. It all happens so poorly you can actually see how it's going wrong. If you want a big open room, you end up needing to build a series of cubes, so when your'e done building your room you actually have dozens or hundreds of these cubes, all of which the game renders, then makes invisible. As you walk around the cubes pop in, then disappear. It's a ridiculous way of doing things, the game is forced to render stuff that isn't even needed.

There's also really poor isolation of game elements. Like when you're inside your freighter, if you're close enough to a planet to see it's rotation, the game renders it even though you can't see it inside the ship. Why???

8. boneburner

boneburner Member

The community events are flawed. They are limited time events, with currency for unique cosmetic items - a reward if you will, for taking part. But should you break your saves or decide to start over, you lose them all - which makes taking part in them utterly pointless. Have these guys never played an MMO? - these unique cosmetic items should be permanent account unlocks that reward overall play time.

On a positive note - AMD users are getting a boost to performance. With work being done to fully overhaul the graphics rendering API, switching from OpenGL to Vulkan - the performance increases are large across the board and up to 50% better at some resolutions.

"First, to install the experimental branch, you'll need to open up the NMS properties panel in steam, go to the Betas tab, and input "3xperimental" into the text box. Once you've pressed the Check Code button, you should be able to select the "experimental - Experimental" beta from the dropdown list. That should also initiate a 3.8GB update to NMS, and once it's complete you can give the Vulkan patch a try."

via: PCgamer

joerandom likes this.
  9. joerandom

joerandom Member

The coming update is also a massive overhaul of multiplayer, hopefully into a real MMO.

10. boneburner

boneburner Member

Ok - so after spending an evening with the 3xperimental build, it ran so much better on my machine BUT, i couldnt name anything, so base and system hopping would soon become a nightmare. Back to regular build *sigh*

11. boneburner

boneburner Member

and here we have it - in 10 days time. Blow the dust off those VR sets boys and girls - and yes I dont have one and yes im a bit jelly.

via Hello Games: BEYOND

12. ndt

ndt Member

Wonder what they're gonna nerf this time to drag out game play.

13. MrBS

MrBS Member

I may have put an order in for an Oculus Rift S on the weekend and this played into it a bit. Get hype?

14. boneburner

boneburner Member

qwertylesh likes this.
  15. MrBS

MrBS Member

I happened to have the day off yesterday only to see the download wasn't available until after I went to bed lol, will give it a run tonight. Nice to see the inventory stack boost from 250 to 10K :D

16. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

How bigs the update on console, 10gig?

17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I don't know how to manage a full time job and several of these games that just soak up so much time :upset:

qwertylesh likes this.
  18. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Starting to look fairly decent, 3 years on. But how does multiplayer work with this now?
    Is it small co-op groups? Private server based like Rust? Or peer-to-peer open world seamless like Elite?

edit:

After some research it looks like it's always-online peer-to-peer with up to 32 player instance limit on PC and 8 player instance limit on console.
    The new social quest/shop hub area (similar to Destiny) will hold up to 16 players on all platforms.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  19. millsy

millsy Member

Quite keen to check this out

qwertylesh likes this.
  20. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Finally decided to buy this as it was 50% and with the big update being handed out for free why not.