1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by ADV, Dec 8, 2013.

1. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Played a few hours today and got my first S class exotic ship for 5mil units, im stoked.

2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

5mil? What was your trade in price for your existing ship?

I've been reloading over and over trying to find a half decent freighter. I don't remember the mix of available freighters being so ugly and so low spec. The game seems determined to give me the ugliest lowest spec piece of space trash in the universe :(

3. Ogre

Ogre Member

Are you in a wealthy system? and I think it needs to be a gek system from memory for freighters

4. bennyling

bennyling Member

I logged in after a few posts in this topic and I have 37 mill in cash, a whole lot of stuff in my inventory, and… absolutely no idea what I was doing with any of it.

5. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

With that much units you can afford to market manipulate wire looms and turn it into hundreds of millions.

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yeah so a bit of reading on this and I realised, it was my first freighter, so you only get offered a 'standard' freighter. B-class at best, ~20 slots if you're crazy lucky. You need to turn down that first freighter and then then warp around some more. The second freighter you rescue will be a capital class ship. Only took 2 reloads after that before I was offered an A-class 33 slot star destroyer in black and red. Sold. As for wealthy and Gek, wealthy yes, Gek.. not so much. Pretty sure mine came from a korvax system. I do remember from when I was playing last year, Gek systems had a higher incidence of the star destroyer shape freighters, but other than that I don't think it matters. Wealthy systems just give you the best chance of rolling an A or S class.

Now the fun part, getting enough crap together to turn it into something. Jumping through the hoops to get the recipe for freighter fuel is a pain in the backside too, but I've started to gather a nice balanced fleet of frigates, soon I should be able to just send them on their way and wait for the coin to roll on in.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  7. Spyder6052

Spyder6052 Member

finally got game sorted.... the game had installed on 2 hard drives, deleted one of them and can now save.....

oh my first freighter on this save got an A class but only 19 slots

8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Very lucky. But yeah, definitely pass up that first freighter and you'll get offered a capital ship next time around. I was considering going with a Sentinel class this time just for something different (to my last save) but really, those star destroyers are damned sexy lol.

9. boneburner

boneburner Member

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Very nice.

One day I'll be able to make sense of how little inventory space a freighter actually has. The ships are freaking huge, clearly have all that storage space but barely carry more than a hauler. Yes I know the slots are twice the size etc, but given the size difference.. yeah no.

11. bennyling

bennyling Member

That may be the purpose of building a base on your freighter? So you can build those storage cubes in it, so even they won't be accessible when you're on-planet, you can still go to your freighter in space and use that as a kind of mobile base?

12. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Well even those storage units are only 5 slots, and they aren't independent of any you may have built on a planetary base... So if you've built a bunch at a base or bases, imagine your surprise when you build more on a freighter only to discover you don't actually get any more storage.

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Is anyone playing in VR? is it done well?

15. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I've played about 10 mins worth and seems to run ok.. I don't really play any games with the controllers so was a bit of a trip..

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Forgot how much of a pita it was waiting at a station for the right class/shape ship to rock up.

17. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

different races prioritise certain class of ships i think. and wealthy, peaceful systems generate better rolls / higher chance of exotic ships.

18. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I've never heard class of ship, but a 2nd tier/medium economy system will give you a 1% change of spawning S-class ships. A tier 1/high supply system will give you a 2% chance. Not that it feels like there's any difference when you spend 4-6hrs waiting for the S class ship in the shape you want lol. The really hard part is seeing an A-class max slot ship come in, which is basically exactly what you want, except that an S-class has higher bonuses. Letting that A-class go can really hurt.. Even worse is marking a planet after seeing an S-class ship in a shape you love, then coming back later and seeing nothing but C and B class ships :(

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  19. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

from some random guide

Different races prioritise different classes of ships.
    S rated ships are reserved for exotics i think.

I went with one of the fighters and it was originally D rated.
    But with the save game editor you can also maximise the ship's inventory slots so even if you end up with a D rated ship, you can unlock all its inventory slots and it'll be A rated automatically.

[​IMG]

It's not that difficult to use, there are a few youtube vids on how to use the save game editor linked. The best usage is to make all the storage cubes 48 slots instead of default 5 slots each. So you end up with 10x 48 slot cubes at your bases, perfect for hoarders.

[​IMG]

Also one of the weird fauna i saw recently. The brain bug from starship troopers (1997)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Caught a ship guide from Xaine's World tonight, you're right about the classes per race. Each system has a set amount of ships that spawn of each class, with an extra 4 for the class favoured by the race whose galaxy you're in.

Also, there are no D class ships, only C, B, A and S. And there are S class ships of every class, but exotics only come in S class.

I spent 5hrs tonight waiting for a nice red S class large fighter. Ended up with an ugly S class large fighter, different colour and shape, and a nice S class hauler, but didn't see anything above an A class 38-12 for the ship I actually wanted :(

Not sure about save file editing.. Although if anything was going to tempt me it would be turning the storage modules into 48 slot units lol.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019