1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by ADV, Dec 8, 2013.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Lol, I don't blame you.

I do think that's part of why it won't be introduced though. Many of the aspects of the game HG have introduced lately have been designed to make you explore otherwise unpopular areas. The LS quest line sends you to uninhabited or abandoned systems. To get upgrades reliably you need to pulse around in red uncharted systems. The weekend missions have you hunting for or crafting rare items etc. It's all aimed at making players explore the galaxy. Something in the game already that gives players a reason to explore is finding just the right ship, in just the right colour. If they allowed configuration or colour changes.. that's one less reason to explore.

2. boneburner

boneburner Member

See, where you see a problem, i see opportunity to add more to the game. I would LOVE to have shipyards spawn in random systems, much like black holes or atlas locations, with something like paint formulas added to possible rewards from looting crashed freighters.

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I didn't say I thought it was a problem, I said I think it's a reason why it won't be added. It's my reading of the situation looking at what HG have released into the game.

I do like your idea though, it would certainly add something to the universe. All those ships have to come from somewhere... And personally it's always bugged me a little that even the S-class ships have shabby paint work. Even if I couldn't fix the colour I'd want to get rid of all the bits where the paint is worn off.

4. boneburner

boneburner Member

there's nothing quite like reddit to make your builds look inadequate...

[​IMG]

from user _BANGERANG_

millsy likes this.
  5. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Wow, this game looks better and better every time I look at it. Definitely one of the greatest comebacks in video game history.

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Don't feel too bad, that's a blender base. Not that it doesn't still look awesome :)

7. boneburner

boneburner Member

err...no - pretty sure its just glitch building - which he does on the ps4 version btw.

the vids he used to get started:

also a great crew of master builders on their discord: https://discord.gg/3whrRVc

Nethiuz likes this.
  8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Ok I stand corrected. If I hadn't have seen that vid I would not have believed someone put the time in to build that manually.

Nethiuz likes this.
  9. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Honestly it went from utter crap to pretty damn impressive. It has such an incredible amount of content now and they have finally bought it into the light as a real multiplayer game, along with awesome VR it just has it all.
    I am a SC fan probably well known on the forums, but i still have more hours in NMS

Fortigurn likes this.
  10. Bourke

Bourke Member

First 25hrs
    Visited 3 planets, jus jumped to a different system, killed 3 Sentinels only, killed 2 animals only.
    Been to only 1 Orbit Trade station, have about 5mil in Data pieces.
    Learnt +150 words.
    Bought my 3rd ship, Class A, B, B, each with +20 slots.
    I'll keep playing this until bored, then prob won't play it again, way too much grindy, go here, pick up thing, travel back and deliver, rinse and repeat, land, harvest the planet, leave, cash-out.
    Missions help to gain rare stuff but it's so slow, and storage..LOLOL...worst storage gimmick ever.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

11. Ogre

Ogre Member

While the game has improved a lot since launch, it still doesn't know what it wants to be.

12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

25hrs in.. you've not even begun to scratch the surface. If you're still having storage issues, there's sooo much more to come. Once you have a freighter, all 10 storage units and a hauler or two, or you've maxed out the storage of whatever ship you want, storage isn't an issue. And deep enough in, money isn't an issue. But, rather unsurprisingly for a game that presents you with not one galaxy to explore, but 256.. Yeah it's going to take a little bit until you don't have to juggle and dance so much.

Honestly though if you came into this looking for a game to 'finish', you're playing the wrong game. After 25hrs though I can guarantee you have barely scratched the surface of the in game lore, there will be story line quests you don't even know about yet.

Fortigurn likes this.
  13. power

power Member

Hello Games have heard your cries, and added exactly what you wanted.

Sphinx2000, EvilGenius and Fortigurn like this.
  14. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Wow, that is impressive.

15. boneburner

boneburner Member

I guess..... but the true highlight of this release is buried in the patch notes. The Electrical Cloaking Unit, so you can finally hide all those fucking hideous wires everywhere ! - or in other words, I might actually get interested in building again.

16. Bourke

Bourke Member

I might be able to finish the game in 100hrs, I nearly finished Mario Bros 1...nearly
    Questions I have,
    1) Is there a max for ships you can buy/control, i'm at 5 atm coz I found a crashed class B and fixing it up.

2)Where's the Freighter's, is it in story or is it from a Standing with a Race.

3)I want off story and jus did some open world walk-about, went to a Vyeem Trade Station, saw no non-NPC, but went to Space Anonomly, which is in the Story and saw non-NPC players running around.
    Is the the game the same for everyone.?? I saw at least 5 ppl running around and some crazy ships I haven't seen before, like a bright blue butterfly one and a electric yellow one.

4) How big can non-Freighter ships get, should I be shooting for +30 slot ships, atm jus trading and buying anything over 27 slots.

5)How big can a Multi-tool get...+20 slot.??

I jus got a stack of upgrades, MED and Large Refinery, Space building structures, ship upgrades and EXO-vehicles....be back in 12hrs...:Pirate::Pirate::Pirate:

17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

You can have 6 ships + a freighter. Once you have all six ships you will lose the option to buy a new one, you will only be able to exchange. If you exchange, you will lose the ship that is your current primary, and there is no way to get it back other than to reload a previous manual save.
    Basic/small/system freighters are available in every system. You will see a fleet of ships in space, they'll often warp in to where you are shortly after you stop pulsing somewhere. One of the larger ships in that fleet will have a white marker, you can land on and if you wish, purchase that freighter. Don't. What you really want is a capital freighter. The general rule has been to warp 5 times inside a 3hr session and you'll fly into a space battle. You kill off a bunch of pirates and the captain of the freighter will call you aboard. He'll offer you command of the freighter for free. Don't accept the first offer! The first battle you warp into will be for a small system freighter. Reject this first ship, and go back to warping again. The second time you get a space battle it will be for a capital ship, which come in Sentinel and Star Destroyer shapes, each with 3 different sizes.
    There are some slight variations between platforms, IE pc and ps4, but for the most part it's the same game, same planets, same ships etc for everyone. You can even use the site I linked to above, nmsce.com, to search for a specific ship you like, go to where that ship was found and get it for yourself.

The chances of seeing another player in the part of space where you started is pretty slim, not impossible, but rare. It is an entire galaxy after all. The nexus is different though. When you're on the nexus you're brought into a sort of lobby room with other players. So any other players that are in the same lobby room as you are visible in the nexus while you're there. You can chat with them, join missions with them that carry on outside the nexus, or ignore them, up to you.

There are 6 classes of ships. Shuttles, Haulers, Explorers, Fighters, Exotics and Living Ships. Use that nmsce.com link to see an example of each. It'll show you what parts and configurations they can have. Each ship has it's own speciality, I'll let you figure that out :)

Haulers are physically the largest ships in the game, although size and storage slots aren't really an issue any more. Ships you see flying around come in one of 4 classes, C, B, A, S with S being the best. A and S class can have the same number of storage slots by default. Haulers by default can have the most storage slots, up to 48 storage and 8 tech slots. Fighters 38 storage, but 12 tech, exotics only 20 storage and 6 tech... The part where 'size doesn't matter' though comes in up on the space station. You can now upgrade any ship of any type/class to have 48 storage slots and 22 tech slots. It costs a LOT to do it, so you're not going to be able to do it yourself yet, but later in the game when you've got a decent source of income secured, knock yourself out.

The simple answer to your question though is, the 'biggest' ship you're going to see is a hauler with 48 storage slots and 8 tech slots. One of those will cost $112 million credits as an A class, or $126 million as an S class. The difference between those will be the stats of things like damage, hyperdrive range, shields etc. You can see the stats of a ship by using your scanner and looking at the ship, it'll show you what class and what stats the ship has. Or you can go and offer to buy it and check it out that way, scanning is quicker though.

Multi-tools also come in 4 different classes, and 3 different sizes. C-S class like ships, and small, medium or large sizes. Small pistols have up to 10 slots. Medium 'compact rifles' up to 16 slots, and Large rifles up to 24 slots.

18. Bourke

Bourke Member

Been +250hrs, not accurate as I keep the keep the game open and go do RL stuff, while refiner/hydro/frigates keep ticking over, still haven't done any Station Missions or Nexus Missions.
    Jus passed 1.05Bil in cash
    Exo-suit maxed out
    2 Haulers maxed out
    2 Haulers at +50 slots
    2 Fighters (1 +50 slot/other at +30 slot and not sure what to do with it)most stat are at 50% on the stats bar.
    Warped 90 times I think
    Doing some Black hole missions, found Korvax Portal at random, doing mission and found Vyveem Portal.
    Done Atlas Seed mission
    During work week jus doing upkeep, empty Hydroponics, check and re-load Frigate missions, fly down to home-base planet, empty around 10 mining extractors, fly back up to Freighter and do refining, load up Hauler and Holo-warp and trade at stations till bored.
    Making around $15mil a day, made $50mil since yesterday, money doesn't matter now.

Been through 3 freighters, first was A-18, B-20 and now B-38 which i'm keeping coz CBA checking and flipping....It's a massive Korvax (looks like a blue and white Millienium Falcon) I call it "Surfboard"
    I'll keep grinding til can't be bothered to play anymore, then prob never again.

19. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Nethiuz likes this.