1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by ADV, Dec 8, 2013.

1. ndt

ndt Member

nice, so is it a freighter?

2. power

power Member

from the trailer above.

upload_2021-11-24_15-55-56.png

3. ndt

ndt Member

oh thanks, at work so couldn't play the video. Bummer it's just frigate, i'm pretty sure those are just the like NPC ships that follows your fleet around yeah? You send them on errands and stuff.

4. power

power Member

but it's so pretty

ndt likes this.
  5. ndt

ndt Member

It's interesting that its a once off event(well, twice so far), so you're pretty much stuck with your save file if you want to retain the Normandy.

6. power

power Member

i really need to go back, try some of this new content.

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Bit late on this, but no that's not how it works. You can claim expedition rewards from the quicksilver bot on the nexus in any save file, so you can have the normandy or any other reward in any and every save.
    There have been some bugs, but they're slapping them down pretty quickly. For the first week the pirate attacks were ridiculous. Just fight off one wave and suddenly a new one shows up, pita. But they've apparently patched that. The sentinel attacks can be pretty hectic too, so now isn't a fantastic time to start a new permadeath save :)

8. ndt

ndt Member

Jumped back in and while I'm enjoying it, it really annoys me how hello games loves to put in shitty things to pad out game play. Pretty annoying that the mission locations are now like rough locations so you have to do the whole range finder thing, but its also a pointless change cause most of the time you literally fly over the building or whatever and can just land.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  9. boneburner

boneburner Member

Latest update:

:thumbup:

& ndt, thats also one of my pet peeves - i fkn hate it

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    BlueRaven likes this.
  10. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

All I do these days is play Kerbal Space Program and pretend that one day I'll address my absolutely stupid-large pile o' shame.
    I've been meaning to settle on a breakway for months if not years now... modded skyrim is losing its grab. How have I not hopped on this train yet? :)

11. jpw007

jpw007 Member

All of these updates since release have been free, haven’t they?

I haven’t played since release. Didn’t spend much time on it tbh. Game was kinda ok but just not at a time when i could sink much in and there was all the hurt over the lack of promises delivered.

Tempted to give it another go when i have time. Always wanted time to play a cool space game but something like Elite Dangerous seemed like too much of a learning curve and time sink + felt like it needed a joystick at a minimum

12. boneburner

boneburner Member

I have played this off & on since the terrible launch - where I actually refunded the game because my AMD card would not run it (just one of the MANY launch issues) - But within 2 years it was *almost the game they promised & now it's well beyond that.

Even tho it has a loose story line, which is more of a bloated tutorial if anything, & some high concept sci-fi elements, it's still just a casual pick up put down kind of game that you can play any way you see fit.

And yes - all updates have been free & probably will be until they decide it's done. :thumbup:

This is a good timeline from then to now:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    jpw007 and BlueRaven like this.
  13. millsy

millsy Member

It's been a pretty heartening story to be honest, went from 'god damn we got grifted' to 'damn they might have screwed it up but they really care about getting it right'
    Obligatory

14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Lovely, thank you. The casualness you mentioned sounds ideal for me as a flight/space sim is well beyond my abilities lol. I’m an fps or rpg guy mainly

15. Michael T

Michael T New Member

Yeah too busy these days, it's fun to drop a few minutes here and there.

16. Onthax

Onthax Member

Just picked this up, having a blast, finally unlocked more storage!

17. boneburner

boneburner Member

To you & new players (& old) Today sees the start of the EXPEDITION #8: POLESTAR.

This is a great point for new players or old ones to jump back in, as it provides you with a lot of equipment & rewards that would normally come to you much later in the game. It runs for 6 weeks & the expedition save converts to a normal save at the end - altho now you can convert it to a normal save whenever you want.

So you dont start from scratch when doing these, just start a new game & choose the Expedition - you will have all sorts of stuff already unlocked. It's a great way to avoid the normal levelling tedium if you've already done it a few times.

18. Onthax

Onthax Member

Are expeditions like seasons?
    rewards won't hit my main account?

19. boneburner

boneburner Member

Yes, they are very much like seasons and *all rewards from Expeditions become available on any save you have - they are an account wide unlock. NMS also runs rewards on Twitch every so often, which become account wide unlocks as well.

*But let me clarify, in this Expedition you start with a Freighter instead of a crashed ship. This does not mean every game starts with one - just this event. Likewise any freebies that are just for the season 'story' itself. All cosmetic items tho, including engine trails, clothing cosmetics, building decor - all these become permanent and can be accessed via the Space Anomaly's quicksilver merchant. The rewards this season are a little lacklustre, as previously rewards have included A-class ships & multi-tools.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  20. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

There is a mod that adds them all to an existing account iirc