1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

No signal on monitor...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by the_antipop, Nov 23, 2018.

1. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Hey all,
    So... I'm at a loss as to what has happened. So I will go through what has happened.

My rig is in my sig. Yesterday I installed my ID-Cooling CPU & GPU AIO cooler, which was all sweet, booted and temps were solid. Unfortunately the radiator didn't quite fit in the top of my case, it was catching on my ram heatsinks. After some research I read that ram heatsinks are fairly useless and easy way to getting them off is hit them with a hair dryer and peel off the heatsinks. I did that. Put my pc back together, and no signal is going to monitor.

I have no idea why it isn't working. I have tried the ram modules in different slots, no ram what so ever, reset cmos. No avail. Still no signal on the monitor. I think my bios is being reset, but each time I try and do the jumpers or remove the battery my pc just boots as normal, no post for a second or two and restart. How should your pc respond after a bios/cmos reset?

I feel like it's a video card issue, but I have no way of confirming... Anyone have any ideas?

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Have you reseated your card in case it dislodged when you were doing the other things? Also, if your motherboard has a graphics port, are you sure you've plugged into the video card? It's easy to do that.

3. OP
    OP
    the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Yeah I've reseated it a few times. No avail. Definitely plugged into my video card...

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

Have you double checked the power cable(s) to the card? Checked the power cable to the monitor and that the video cable is firm on that end?
    Have you got any other ram to try, just in case it was damaged?

5. philquad

philquad Member

id pull it down, bench test it
    mb, cpu, ram (by the way, no ram = no post)
    has mb got onboard gpu ?
    need another stick of ram, just in case

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

You made a change and since that change the system is failing you need to analyse that change.

Your last change to the system was removing the RAM Heat spreaders - you now have to isolate that from the system and then your GPU.

You need another PC (mates or your own) to put the RAM in and boot the system.

It reads like you have pulled a wafer of the PCB, that is dislodged the memory chip, during the process and the RAM module/s have failed.

Alternatively borrow someone else's known working RAM and try that in your system.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  7. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Or maybe swapped RAM out too hastily and fried it from residual power in the motherboard. I recently did that when swapping out some RAM in a rig. Powered off, pulled out the power cord, and swapped the sticks over. Too quick, and blew both sets of RAM modules!

8. havabeer

havabeer Member

yeah sounds like the ram is now cactus

9. OP
    OP
    the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Will try and get some ram from my work PC and test.
    Is there any way to fix the wafer/PCB? I feel that I didn't dislodge anything removing the heat spreader... so weird...

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I can't make a call on that - maybe take some pics of both sides and post them here?

11. OP
    OP
    the_antipop

the_antipop Member

100% ended up being the ram. Got them replaced. Back up and running now.
    Definitely won't do that again...

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

Sorry it was something you broke, but glad you've diagnosed the problem and that it's now fixed.

the_antipop likes this.
  13. Malakai

Malakai Member

Did you try one stick at a time? That might have helped diagnose it sooner since it is less likely that both were dead.

Good to know you solved it in the end.

the_antipop likes this.