No-stir Mushroom Risotto

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Amfibius, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Love risotto? CBF standing there for half an hour stirring the damned thing? Try my easy no-stir mushroom risotto recipe! The secret to the no-stir risotto is to use Vialone Nano rice.

Ingredients
    (Serves 4)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- 2 cups vialone nano rice
    - 2 cups beef broth
    - 300gm Swiss Brown mushrooms, sliced
    - 50gm dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated in 1.5 cups boiling water
    - 8 Shiitake mushrooms
    - 100gm Parmesan cheese
    - Rocket, for garnish
    - 1 onion
    - 2 cloves garlic
    - Balsamic vinegar, EVOO, salt, pepper

Method

[​IMG]

Marinade the shiitake mushrooms in some balsamic vinegar.

[​IMG]

Saute the onions and garlic in some EVOO until translucent, then add all the rice. Continue stirring until mildly toasted.

[​IMG]

Add the porcini mushrooms along with the water used to rehydrate the mushrooms. Be careful not to pour the dirt in. Add all the beef broth*, and all the chopped mushrooms. Give it a quick stir to mix, then LEAVE IT ALONE. Any further stirring at this stage will release starch from the rice, which will cause the bottom to burn.

(* use beef BROTH not beef STOCK. Stock is too heavy and too gelatinous, and will make your risotto too rich. I like using the Campbell's consomme, but even that is a bit too heavy. You will see that in this recipe, I thin it down by adding water)

In the meantime, slice the shiitakes and sautee them in a seperate frypan. Dress the rocket with a balsamic and EVOO vinaigrette (Mix 3 tbsp EVOO to 1 tbsp balsamic, add 1/4 teaspoon of dijon mustard to emulsify, then stir vigorously).

When the risotto has absorbed all the fluid and become al dente, pour the parmesan in and stir vigorously. This will release all the starch, and it will cream up nicely like a "normal" risotto. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve on a bowl, garnished with the fried shiitake and the rocket:

[​IMG]

(Here you can see that I decided to eat it with some sirloin)

The recipe is dead easy. The three crucial steps are: (1) use vialone nano rice, (2) do not stir during cooking, (3) stir vigorously at the end. The ease of this recipe means that I can eat risotto on weeknights, where previously I could not be bothered because I CBF standing in front of the stove for half an hour.

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

Mmmm delicious.

Amfibius have you ever tried finishing your risotto with creme fraiche and butter (as well as good quality parmesan)? just a knob or two at the end end and about a tablespoon of Creme Fraiche.

Makes an *amazing* difference imo.

I've gotten to the point where Risotto is pretty much fail anywhere that i didn't cook it. I don't know what i do diffferently (maybe i'm not making risotto?) but yeah, everywhere else is just a disappointment :( And before i started making risotto - I didn't like it at restaurants either.

I'll post my recipe up in a sec.

* Sautee up some mushrooms with a tiny bit of Salt and regular Pepper. Put to the side.
    * Dice a French Shallot, Press some garlic, EVOO, sautee till translucent, Add Arborio Rice to toast the grains slightly.
    * Splash of White wine.
    * Vegetable stock (my wife is vegetarian :D) only ever enough to just barely cover the rice. I typically have 2 cups of Vege-stock to 1-1.5 cups of Arborio rice - otherwise it all gets too salty, continue to add hot water instead. Low-Medium heat, stir frequently.
    * In a seperate pan - Slice a chicken breast in half on the side (to reduce the thickness and cook it through), season well, Cook in a hot pan - similarly to a steak. When flipping to the other side, baste the breast with Butter constantly (this keeps the moisture of the chicken in, stops it going dry). put the side to rest.
    * Early in the piece, add half the mushrooms.
    * Later in the piece, add the other half of mushroom, sundried tomatoes, season to taste.
    * as the rice is almost "done" add parmesan, butter and creme fraiche to finish. Turn off the heat.
    * Slice the cooked Chicken Breast into strips using a Bread Knife (i find it works best without tearing the chicken too much), stir through after your vegetarian partner has had her serve + reserved some for left overs.

I make a variation of this sometimes with half a chilli - then on the table hitting it with a bit of lemon juice to cut the heat from the chilli just slightly. My method for the rice and finishing never really changes, just the ingredients to. I've done a tarragon-style risotto, for example.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Hi NSanity ... never tried adding creme fraiche or butter! I might try next time, but i'm generally afraid of using that stuff. I like my risotto nice and light - not sure what butter would do to it :)

Thanks for posting your recipe. Here are a few variations that I commonly make:

- Chicken stock and asparagus
    - Chicken and leek
    - Chorizo and spinach
    - Vegetable stock, tomato, and prawns

I love the stuff. Cheap, healthy, and easy. The above recipe costs <$5 per person, and it would be even cheaper if you don't use the porcini. I don't recommend leaving the porcini out though - it really deepens the flavour of the risotto.

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

Yeah, my risotto's aren't light - but they are very very more-ish, having a tendency to put people to sleep (portion size could have a lot to do with this though). Comfort food, if you will.

I'll definitely give it a go, although with Vege stock rather than beef broth :)

5. Mooncat

Mooncat Member

I do love any recipe that starts with "do you love xyz but hate the effort?" and then promises to remove much of said effort :D The trick is getting the BF to eat it, since he's suspicious of mushrooms, but from the sound of it, there'sa fighting chance he'll like it!