SOLVED No Surround Sound

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by C.Y, Mar 2, 2021.

1. C.Y

C.Y Member

Hi All

I'm having issues to connect 7.1 surround sound on my speaker setup.
    Previously I have had an option for "surround" as per the attached pic .. but as you can see it only gives me "stereo".

[​IMG]

What I had done to date
    • Uninstalled and reinstalled driver for sound card (its a generic USB 7.1 type that is purchased through ebay)
    • Turned on "spatial sound" in the settings
    • Pulled out headphones in case computer was getting confused between headphones / speakers
    • Restarted windows
    • The speakers are working as I have tried them in pairs (front/rear) by disconnecting one set. When they are both plugged in both Front/Rear > Left/Right will work simultaneously (they are bass transducers so the expectation is for each individual speak to vibrate separately.
    • Troubleshoot through various google searches (inc microsoft) ... which keeps on pointing to this fix https://appuals.com/channel-surround-sound-not-working-in-windows-10/ but it doesn't work.
    • Some feedback says to change the below options to XXX but i only have the below two options
    upload_2021-3-2_23-52-56.png

Wanted Result
    So all I want to do is have 4 speakers run independently by having the (minimum) quadraphonic option.

Thoughts ?

TIA

Attached Files:

2. havabeer

havabeer Member

so what has changed? you said you used to have an option for the surround, but now you don't? so where still using the generic USB thing when you had the option?

3. OP
    OP
    C.Y

C.Y Member

No I changed sound cards because i changed GPU (2080super covers that remaining PCIe slot ... so had to get a USB sound card)

I did contact the seller who wasn’t of much help. Seller says it doesn’t need software/driver ... windows says it’s using the latest driver (tried a couple of times)

Theoretically it should have been the same once plugged in (ie: has surround options) but obviously not ‍♂️

4. power

power Member

i went though something like this with my nvidia GPU, it will not allow me to force 5.1 over HDMI because i dunno reasons (do a search, it's a whole thing). I believe there may be hacked drivers, but you know effort.

i ended up using the optical output from the onboard audio.

i really need a receiver though because Nintendo don't encode 5.1 they just push uncompressed PCM audio so unless you are going to a receiver (i'm just going to speakers) you guessed it - no DD5.1, no DTS yeah thanks Nintendo. :(

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  5. Sneakypuss

Sneakypuss Member

Hmm what were you trying to send 5.1 over hdmi to from the nvidia card when you were having the issue cause they send 5.1am types /passthrough prefectly fine, depends on the other end I spose.

What sound card did you buy? Cause sounds like you got bs'ed by seller unless it's a proper usb sound card. Eg xonar u3 etc.

Oh picture dead read but about generic 7.1 most claim they using the chip that supposedly can make virtual 7.1 with 3.5mm stereo jack but noting under the $30+ price range contains the correct chipset required and at that price point chances are you'll get the cheap chip that can't do it inside anyways. And when you hit that amount better to spend more and get an u3 when on special randomly for $20+ more. Last 1 I got on sale was $59 from memory.

Alternatively you could try this software the really cheap 1s claim they come with to do the emulation of the 7.1. "Xear 3d virtual 7.1 channel sound simulation software for windows xp / vista is included" lol say work with win 10. But re-reading your op you bought 1 of those 5 plug y/triangle shaped ones? Picture been dead makes it hard to work out which of them lol

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  6. power

power Member

7. OP
    OP
    C.Y

C.Y Member

Thanks for reminding me .. I thought I closed out this thread. The end result was I refunded the original card and purchased a Startech 7.1 USB one ... which worked 1st go without issues at all.

It was some generic one from Ebay. Didn't even have a name. I was lucky because the seller was a suburb away from me so I went to their warehouse and tested it out with another .. but I kept on encountering the same issue.

hahaha ... yeh Marketing working effectively in these situation :p