1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Noctua D-14 Worth the money?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by consumer, Aug 1, 2011.

1. consumer

consumer Member

Is the Noctua D-14 worth the $90 it costs? Will I see an improvement say if I went for that over a CM Hyper 212+

2. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

3. Radioactiv3

Radioactiv3 (Banned or Deleted)

Running it myself and can say i'm pretty pleased with it. Hitting my OC with more than comfortable temps and its quiet to boot.

As with ram clearance issues i have all Dimms filled on my board and i only need to raise the fan at the end about 5mm~ so that it clears my ripjaws ram. Ive also recently replaced my ram and although a bit annoying it can be done without removing the actual heatsink.

But as the above said it would only be a small improvement to your current cooler. So unless you want to push your OC that bit better or get temps a few deg. lower there's no real point.

4. OP
    OP
    consumer

consumer Member

OK I've been offered a discount on a water cooling kit for not much more than a D14 if it's combined with a motherboard purchase.

The three options are Corsair H80 or H100 or a Antec Kühler H2O 920.

It would be inside a Fractal R3 case on a Gigabyte Gigabyte Z68x-UD5-B3 motherboard with a sandy bridge i5-2500k.

Which one should I go for and why?

5. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  6. OP
    OP
    consumer

consumer Member

Off course, but I want some real life opinions on this.

Bit of overclocking & gaming later on. So which would you recommend?

7. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

from what ive read in the past 20minutes and just from general trolling, the h100>920>h80 and the d14 performs similar to the 920 give or take ~2degrees

ultimately if you want to fork out more for a closed loop cooler over an air cooler, then go the 920. imo.

off topic, but the closed loop cooler stock fans (both corsair and antec) have not been rated very well for noise so you may be compelled to replace those which will bring your costs up.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  8. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

The NH D14 is a giant compared to the 212+ i want one! but i dont think it would fit in my case :D i think it would hit the rear of my Case, along with the roof. it would also tie up 2 of my Fan placements. I suppose with choosing either, it really depends on your case type.

9. OP
    OP
    consumer

consumer Member

Yeah the D14 is a beast, that's what is turning me off. Might save myself $60 and go the Hyper 212+ if I go air cooling. I haven't upgraded in 4 years so I'm a bit unsure how big I should go.

ON water cooling I've heard the Antec Kühler H2O & the Corsair H80 are pretty noisy, I like the Corsair more though. Looks less bulky than the Antec but then Antec has better software, I dunno can't decide.

I've got my heart set on the Fractal R3 case, so I guess the question is which solution works best with the case?

10. 5p1k3y

5p1k3y Member

im in the same boat not sure what to get but leaning towards the 212+ Cause it seems awesome for the price.

11. Skinner

Skinner Member

Also in the same boat. Love this cooler, but wondering if it will fit in a 600T with that top mounted case fan?

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

I recently upgraded from a d14, to a watercooling setup. All I got was better temps, overclock (on a i7 970) is virtually the same.

so IMHO the d14 is pretty damn good for air.

13. fang_laluna

fang_laluna Member

Arguably one of the best heatsink there is atm. Stick with noctua fans if you want it to be silent or use GT fans. Also make sure your case has a good airflow

14. Radioactiv3

Radioactiv3 (Banned or Deleted)

Using it myself i can say that it definately does it job :)

Ive got an exhaust at the back and top of my case and the ones adjacent to my NHd14 are taking out so much heat.

15. fishnut1989

fishnut1989 Member

i was looking at getting one as well but with my high ram hs in a sabertooth 990fx board it just wont fit. Im currently looking at the thermaltake frio OCK. What are people's opionon on them. May help the original poster as well. Mabey :p

16. A7MAD

A7MAD Member

Noctua NH-D14 = Best air cooler I know of at the moment although I have read good things about this also.

17. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

you will still have clearance issues with the Frio. but not as bad at the d14.

18. renagade

renagade Member

my i7 2600k sits on 25degrees with the D-14 installed.
    not overclocked just yet.
    can definitely push it a lot further.

19. vien

vien Member

Got one for my i5-2500k, ditched the water cooling setup for the simplicity of air cooling, works great. I tell ya what, this S.O.B is the biggest heatsink i've ever seen. Running a fractal design define XL case + asrock z68 extreme4 mobo with 4 sticks of gskill ripjaws x - some clearance, probably 4mm between ram and the heatsink fan.