1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

noctua d14 highish temps

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by desudesu, Nov 22, 2011.

1. desudesu

desudesu Member

hi guys

just wondering i have tried mounting the noctua in different orientation exhaust up instead of front to back.

but even with this my temps seem to idle around 45 on idle i find this a bit high on days when its about 25 ambient. under load about 60 which i find is ok but im just not sure if im getting the paste on correctly.

i tried out the smudge the paste over the heatsink before attaching to the MB.

oh i forgot to mention this is with HT off in bios so if that was one it would be higher.

any ideas on how i should fix this before i think of moving to WC.

thanks

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

hmmm. 60 under load is pretty good......tbh, i wouldnt be concerned about the 45degree idle.....and it all depends how many volts your pumping through it, and the max recommended volts.

3. OP
    OP
    desudesu

desudesu Member

atm i think im only setting about 1.2v in the bios but i get a reading of about 1.18v in cpu-z.

so the voltage is a bit low while the temps still stay up there.

i have no idea but oh well might think of going to the xspc kit but ill have to see how hot the summer will get this system to.

4. Copie

Copie Member

Those temps are pretty good, assuming its the rig in your sig.

Idle temps honestly mean diddly squat, most people who have low idle temps have speedstep enabled, meaning its downclocked to nothing when at idle.

Going to water wont really gain you much at all.

5. fang_laluna

fang_laluna Member

That's quite a good temp for 4 ghz dude. Mine went to 70ish @ 4GHz with 1.25vcore.

6. OP
    OP
    desudesu

desudesu Member

oh my bad forgot to change my sig,

but yea ive done the overclock now to 4ghz and its about 76 max by using prime, but not sure how stable it is did a 10min prime so i can use the computer for now.

vcore now is 1.275 in bios but only 1.248 using LLC1
    atleast i got rid of the problem with the random freezing overnight

7. pittster

pittster Member

Yeah its not insane temps just make sure fans are spinning at 1200-1300rpm

I get idle temp of 28deg @1.00V 1.6Ghz & full load prime 60deg @1.31V 4.4ghz

If i didn't have speed step on my idle temps would be higher.

A E8500 i had with a zalman 9700NT running at 4Ghz daily @1.3V idled at near 40 deg and it did that for 3 years straight so i wouldn't worry to much you have one of the best air coolers around.

8. OP
    OP
    desudesu

desudesu Member

i am finding it that either the location of the case being under my desk just doesnt let all the hot air escape from the case quick enough. but i tried 4ghz before and never primed it or anything and the computer ran fine with only 1.25v in bios. but the moment i prime it BSOD so i guess it had some issues.

gonna see how the computer handles itself over the hot summer days.

9. AUST_DeVinE

AUST_DeVinE Member

poor case circulation is one massive problem.

idle CPU should only be 5 deg hotter then room ambiant, but if the air in your case isnt flowing fresh then you will see what your seeing now.

take the side of your comp and point a pedistal fan at it and see what happens