Noctua Rotosub Noise-Cancelling PC Fan Prototype

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jun 9, 2012.

1. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/8/3071978/noctua-active-noise-cancelling-pc-fan-prototype

2. digamma

digamma Member

Interesting concept. It still can't really get rid of the rushing sound of the air, especially as it is pushing through the fins of the HS. Seems to remove certain frequencies though. I wonder if something as simple as moving the fan back from the fins of the HS would make it quieter again?

3. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

That's pretty neat, getting rid of the high-pitched hum :)

4. OP
    OP
    stenchlord

stenchlord Member

It's still in development, it's only the prototype and they have 12-18 months to work on that before this is released, I'm sure in the time it takes to release this they'll have some other tech or will have developed this far enough to do more than what it currently does.

5. kandrews

kandrews Member

Good one Noctua......

I'm buying it as soon as it's released. Anything that tries to lower noise made by fans is worth investing in.

Noctua is at least trying to do something while others have given up or too lazy to try.

6. Psychotria

Psychotria (Banned or Deleted)

Interesting angle to attack the problem

7. desudesu

desudesu Member

but would you pay the $50 it might cost per fan? i would just invest in a low rpm fan which may only mean 2-3 degrees difference, compared to the noctua i know they are a great brand but the price they ask for fans is just over the moon.

8. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

To true, i find it hard to pay for anything especially if there is free or much cheaper options giving similar results.

Will have to wait and see the final result, it is very interesting and sometimes things are worth paying a little extra $$ for.

9. desudesu

desudesu Member

yea to be honest i prefer the noiseblocker pl-2's they may not push as much air as the noctua's but they are dead silent even at 1400 rpm, just make sure you dont have a grill infront of the exhaust side makes the stupid air rushing noise, but other than they they are about 10 dollar cheaper than the noctua's P and F

10. OP
    OP
    stenchlord

stenchlord Member

According to Engadget, Noctua are looking to reduce the noise of a 2500RPM fan down to that of a 1500RPM fan. I think I'd be more interested if it made a 1200RPM fan sound like a 600RPM fan :D

11. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

I want to see what push-pull setups are like with these things