Noise cancelling head phones with detachable cord

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Gunna, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I have the PX550s. Use them as one of my 'daily drivers' on the commute to work. Very comfy, good isolation and sound nice.
    I came to the conclusion some time ago that I quite like Sennheisers sound. It's a bit 'v-shaped' from what I understand, so not super accurate, but more 'fun'.

Have got some of their Momentum IEMs, also KEF M500, AudioTechnica open cans, Etymotic ER4s (since sold).

2. sanjay

sanjay Member

ive got a pair of QC35s, PXC550s, backbeat pro 2 and MDR-1000X

i think the MDR-1000X and PXC550 sound equal best, MDR has slightly better NC than the PXC

QC35 has the best NC but the worst sound quality out of the lot by a country mile

the backbeat pro 2 is the most comfortable.

the MDR only supports one active BT connection at a time which is really annoying for me, so i think overall the PXC is the best. but my girlfriend likes them too so she gets them - i rock the backbeats most of the time now.

3. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I am looking for a couple of pairs of NC headphones too, my wife and I are heading OS later in the year, but our budget is a bit tighter... I have read that the Sony 1000mx2 are better all round compared to the BOSE 35s.. but well out of my price range unless I can find a couple of pairs on sale...

4. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

They are amazing. I picked up a second hand pair last week for myself and love them. The only problem is now my wife wants a pair :(

5. srey

srey Member

Yeah, I don'tdoubt that they offer some solid isolation, but this discussion is about headphones used primarily when flying. Dunno if you've personally flown much with anc headphones, but it is such a huge difference.

The environment is so damn noisy that nothing is going to sound it's best, even closed cans with good isolation. The advantage decent anc offers in allowing you to reduce the level you're listening at is massive. I flew plenty in my AT ANC cans and although they're definitely not the best sounding headphones I've used, I would happily give up a bit of SQ for the cancellation.

Bose might not make the best sounding headphones but this isn't about buying the "best sounding" 'phones, it's about getting the best for the situation. IMO at least that's something with decent ANC.

6. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

Bowers and Wilkins PX hands down, Qantas Store had them for around 300 bux + 2000 pts.

QC35ii definitely the most comfortable out of Sony, B&W and Sennheiser, but sound quality is bit average.

7. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Thanks for the info. My Denon AH-GC20s are getting repaired but if they have further issues I'll seriously consider the Bose. I don't need great audio quality since most of my listening is spoken word, but I do like decent noise cancelling when I'm travelling.

8. pezzy

pezzy Member

are all anc the same? i tried a pair of bose qc20 on sat and was impressed with the noise cancellation. thinking of getting some anc earbuds but at a lower price point, like the xiaomi ones.

9. xplod140

xplod140 Member

No. Like most things, ANC performance varies between manufacturers, models and headset types (in-ear\on-ear\over-ear).

I still get great performance from my on-ear Bose QC3 as they seal well when wearing glasses and prefer them as my ears get quite hot with over-ear headphone models. I find the in-ear models don't perform well on planes.

10. pezzy

pezzy Member

hmm. how about this...would the worst performing anc still be able to cancel out all the engine noise in a plane cabin like the bose qc20?

11. xplod140

xplod140 Member

No, the worst performing one is likely to do almost nothing. Which is what you'll get in the cheap models even if they're brand name (eg Panasonic). Even the expensive ones don't cancel ALL the noise, they just usually do the best job to get rid of MOST of the drone and high pitched whine.

12. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Headphones.jpg

Hey all - I have been looking, and comparing the 1000XM2 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones (RRP $499.95 on sale for $449) and the WH-H900N h.ear on 2 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones (RRP $399.95, on sale for $268) - there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference between the two?

13. pezzy

pezzy Member

ah ok, thanks for the tip. i guess i'll stick with my iem's.

14. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Kommandant33 likes this.
  15. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Have you tried them? Look at my post 2 up.. looking at reviews the NC on the H900N isn't as good as the more expensive ones... but I don't think it's a deal breaker for $268

16. aokman

aokman Member

Definately the Sennheiser PX550, excellent audio quality and noise cancelling even with no music playing.

The Sonys auto turn off and its a big complaint until Sony deletes everyones posts to hide it.

17. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

They auto turn off in Bluetooth mode if nothing is being played. Work around is to have something plugged into the headphone jack, even a dummy plug.

18. aokman

aokman Member

Thats hardly a workaround for “wireless” headphones lol