1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Noisy Power Causing Problems

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Xxian.com, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Xxian.com

Xxian.com Member

I recently got a 2.4GHz wireless security cam for the house, but as our whole town is on a generator with noisy power, the picture from the receiver is crap, jumping flickering and scrolling.

It is plugged into a UPS which is on a surge protector - is there anything else I can try to overcome the problem?

2. nux

nux Member

I wouldn't think noisy power would cause that, the camera would regulate the AC power to DC at 12V or something.

3. JetspeedCamry

JetspeedCamry Member

Is there any 2.4GHz networks in the area?
    My little wireless camera's do they same unless I shut down my network.

4. OP
    OP
    Xxian.com

Xxian.com Member

Both the camera and receiver have separate plugpacks that converts to 8v DC. There is no other wireless anything running in the entire town (besides UHF radios).

I speculate that it is the power as I noticed while watching tv later last night the same flickering going on, but only just barley visible.

5. nux

nux Member

Won't have anything to do with power then. Must be interferance from another 2.4GHz source, or it is just a dodgy wireless camera/receiver. You aren't watching the camera on this TV that flickers are you? Tried moving the camera closer?

6. wabbit

wabbit Member

Some cordless phones use that band as well. AV senders also. Could be interference from one or more of them.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  7. OP
    OP
    Xxian.com

Xxian.com Member

I didn't think of them, but again, there are only 2 of them within 1km of the camera & receiver - both mine, so I wouldn't think that would be the problem.

8. LethalCorpse

LethalCorpse Member

Noisy mains could cause that sort of flickering, but it's more likely to be RF interference from microwaves, fluoros, etc. You can try getting a power board with a built in mains filter (as opposed to surge protection) as they will remove any RF noise on the AC line.