Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Rockman.EXE

Rockman.EXE Member

Thinking of grabbing one of these phones, as a upgrade from the N95.

Anywhere in Melb to grab one at a decent price, be it the local one or the HK imports?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. mcrow5

mcrow5 Member

i went to my local All Phones store, and they quoted about $380 without the music licence, and about $500 - $600 with it.

3. mvong

mvong Member

Not sure if anyone else noticed.. my 3 branded nokia 5800 got a firmware update to v31.0.101 today. This firmware is compatible with the free navigation software.

4. draco3

draco3 Member

Well it's been a few weeks since I upgraded to version 40.xxx something (the latest firmware version) and it would appear as though the clock has been fixed. I have not had to adjust the clock since I upgraded the firmware. Finally!!! I'll see how it goes, but so far so good. This is an update everyone should get.

Only thing now is to find lots of apps for the phone. Ovi Store is a bit of a pain sometimes.

5. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

My Virgin Mobile did the same thing late last week. Should I bother fudging it to go to V40? I dunno...

6. Jobe

Jobe Member

I currently have a 5310 xpressmusic. Love the phone but damn it's got terrible build quality. I've had it repaired twice and now it's getting the same problem again. Wont play music through the headphones. Detects headphones are plugged in but music plays for less than a second before silence. SO I'm looking to upgrade and want to know if it's worth going to this phone...

I'm not a massive mobile user, like I sometimes dont even use my whole $30 prepaid over 2 months. But I take my phone with me everywhere and listen to music on it all the time. Although the 5800 is a bit more expensive than the 5310 was when I picked it up (just under $300 almost 2 years ago), do you consider it a worthwhile upgrade?

7. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Why not just an mp3 player?

8. Jobe

Jobe Member

don't like carrying around a phone and an mp3 player. Prefer to just chuck wallet, phone, sunnies and headphones in my pocket and off I go.

9. XBoNeSX

XBoNeSX Member

5800 is good phone ..so worth the upgrade !

10. TieNN89

TieNN89 Member

yup I have to agree

It is worth it

11. adr_an

adr_an Member

I've got one and i'm not entirely happy with it.

In regards to it's music features it's alright.

But the reliance on the memory card causes issues I think.
    I've had to get the memory card replaced when it died on me, and find that it sometimes halts when recording long videos.

Also, it's camera is pretty crap compared to my older N95.

The comes with music feature is pretty good, but the software is pretty clunky to navigate around. I'd be leaning more towards the N97.

12. TieNN89

TieNN89 Member

Yeah if I was to get a new phone right now I'd be leaning towards the N97
    Due to it being newer etc

A slide out keyboard is always nice giving you a full screen to view whatever while typing rather than have the screen covered by a keyboard

13. AndyRoo

AndyRoo Member

Hi
    After a bit of help to get my phone connected to internet using the Virgin WAP. Can connect no problem using WLAN at home and at hotspots, but if I try using Virgin WAP get message "packet data connection not available".
    Have had phone for nearly 6 months and have never been able to connect this way - frustrating!!

What settings to I need to change to get this working.

14. XBoNeSX

XBoNeSX Member

15. AndyRoo

AndyRoo Member

Only problem is they don't list the 5800. Tried that before, just picked another type of phone - didn't work :(

16. josh81

josh81 Member

If you want to access the internet (the real internet), then you shouldn't be selecting a WAP connection, cause that connection will only work for visiting Virgin's WAP site with stuff like a selection of ringtones, wallpapers, java games, and some news and weather etc.

To use the 5800 to access the internet you will obviously have to be signed up to some data pack from Virgin, or have some included data that comes free with your plan. Then you need to select Mobile Internet connection, or something other than WiFi, Wap, MMS, etc.
    I'm with 3 mobile, and i select either Mobile Internet or Planet 3 connection. There is also Wap connection which is different to Planet 3.

If you're trying to go to a web address (eg; www.google.com) using the WAP connection, then i wont work.

I hope this is the solution for you, otherwise i can only assume the settings are wrong, and you'll need to ring Virgin direct if they don't have it on their site.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Anyone able to answer this?

18. josh81

josh81 Member

In terms of audio output through the 3.5mm jack? Or audio output through the stereo speakers?

I have not owned an Xpress Music phone before, but i will say that the sterep speakers are very good, and offer pretty loud sound output at a reasonable quality for a mobile phone. The general consensus is that the 5800 has the best speakers on it.
    Also, the general consenus from what i've read on the net, is that the 3.5mm audio output quality is equal to that of the iPhone.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Through the 3.5mm jack.

20. AndyRoo

AndyRoo Member

Just an update. Rang Virgin, seems internet was not enabled from their end, they changed whatever and now it works - happy now :)

Thanks for the help :)