1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Oct 6, 2008.

1. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

3. SilverSilence

SilverSilence Member

Don't do it, it's a buggy laggy POS, i've had mine for nearly a year now and at least once a month i need to do a hard reset coz of issues.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Overall comments seem to be positive though. Early on I was concerned with the laggyness of the menu system, and people getting various other issues...

5. SilverSilence

SilverSilence Member

Sorry, i just saw the title and automatically rage-posted :lol:

I havn't been able to update my firmware at all, doesn't let me :upset: probably why mines so buggy

6. arrow224

arrow224 Member

A handful of Dick Smith's still have them left, going out at $388. They are the blue ones with ComesWithMusic. Check with your local store, as it is not on their website.

7. Rogue_Elefant

Rogue_Elefant Member

i had a 5800 and loved it, until i was lured with the iPhone 3GS (or more importantly the 3.X OS)

Early on the 5800 had several advantages over the iPhone 2.x OS phone, the main ones for me was stereo bluetooth, landscape keyboard and use as flash drive.

The OS3.0 update resolved most of those issues, and with jailbreaking the possibilities are endless.

Don't get me wrong, the 5800 was a great phone and i loved it, but its doesn't come close to a OS3.x iPhone!

8. josh81

josh81 Member

Yeah it's much better now, also it's not all in the OS, cause they upgraded the camera as well.

Still not enough to pull me away from my 5800, or touch screen symbian Nokia's in general. I prefer the resistive touch screen where i can use a stylus, and i don't like the Apple operating system, it's annoying.
    Also, i much prefer the form factor of the 5800 over the big wide iPhone that doesn't fit in your pocket comfortably.
    Plus Jailbreaking voids warranty on iPhone.

My CWM subscription expires at the start of April, i've got to do a big session of download songs so i can keep for ever. I've been meaning to contact Nokia and ask them if i can renew for a fee.

9. TieNN89

TieNN89 Member

The CWM finalized my decision on the 5800 even though I don't download much music

A guy on Whirlpool received email from Nokia saying they will extend the CWM subscription till there new music player is realized

I'll go look for that post now

*EDIT

Here you go http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1388379&p=3#r59

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  10. josh81

josh81 Member

I actually got an email from Nokia today (or late yesterday) telling me this. Because it was my 30 days remaining reminder letter, and they mentioned i could just extend. This is great! :)

11. AndyRoo

AndyRoo Member

Having a bit of a problem mith maps on my 5800. Installed google maps, now my Nokia maps wont work, when i select it from the menu it opens then dies - just wont start. Tried to install 'trial' version of garmin xt maps, stuffed that up - having a good day :thumbdn:

Anyway, is there a way to wipe the phone and start again - tried the factory reset but that doesn't work - old files are still there and I would like to start again with a fresh new phone o/s.

EDIT: managed to somehow get Nokia maps working again - yay!, saves me a trip to the Nokia centre for them to format my phone - but will still like to know if it is possible to do from home?

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  12. josh81

josh81 Member

You can do a master reset which will erase everything on the phone memory, and reset all the settings. When turning the phone on, hold down the send key, end key, and camera key, until the nokia animation appears.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well looks like I'll pretty much definitely be getting one now.....got thrown in a pool with my old xpress music phone in my pocket....so I'm phoneless right now.

Best price now?

14. josh81

josh81 Member

Virgin $19 cap. Or outright, some Tandy and Dick Smith stores had it for $291 on clearance, not sure if they still have stock, will be a store by store basis. Have read a few people claiming it's the Comes With Music version of the 5800, with the 1yr free music from Nokia music store.

Elsewhere (unlikely to be CWM version);
    SmoothMobiles $375
    MobiCity $339
    ElectronicBazaar $319 (all colours)
    BecexTech $309
    SelectGSM USD$269

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Already on a plan so can't so that.....but dickies looks like the best option now....if any left.

16. josh81

josh81 Member

Congratulations Mr Chilled on your 100th month on OCAU. :thumbup:

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

18. josh81

josh81 Member

No. There are only 2 different varients of the 5800. The Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, and the Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition.
    This doesn't take into account the different frequency versions of the 5800, such as the NAM (north american market) version, which can be used on the Telstra Next-G network, but not most/all of the other Australian 3G networks because the NAM version doesn't support 2100 freq.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5800_xpressmusic-2537.php

I assume that store has just put Smartphone at the end as an adjective, not a noun, ie; the "Nokia 5800 XpressMusic" Smartphone, just to point out that it is a smart phone.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ok, thanks for the info.....seems like a good price.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Looking to purchase today or tomorrow, can't be bothered ordering it online and then waiting until next week to get it......any places have it sub $300 in Adelaide? Yes I've looked around but most stuff seems to be from online retailers....