Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Oct 6, 2008.

1. josh81

josh81 Member

You bought one yet Mr Chilled?

Not familar with what's avail in Adelaide.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nah not yet unfortunately. I had a look around a shopping centre yesterday.....couldn't find one single place that stocks it (old model now, which has been superseeded) and I asked at about four places. I think I'm just going to have to get it online I guess.

I did get to demo the 5230 and X6 which were mighty fine, especially the X6 but it was about $599.

So yeah, still looking to pick one up in person, sub $300.

3. arrow224

arrow224 Member

Some Dick Smith's still have them left. Not sure if they are under $300, but in March I got one at $388. Discontinued item means they have some flexibility in the price, so try to get them down.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I tried one Dick smith store.....didn't stock them....

Do you know any that might? Happy to pay postage if interstate...

5. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

Crazy Johns still stock them AFAIK. Unsure on price though. I picked up an N900 today so I might sell my 5800 if I decide not to keep it, if you're interested?

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thanks anyways, would prefer brand new : )

I tried CJ's also and no good.....well that store at least anyways.

7. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

Bad luck, they are a great phone mate so I recommend you do your best to find one. When I was in the Cj's store in brissy today someone called up about the 5800 and the guy said he had 2 left. One in Cairns and I forget where the other one was, maybe ask your local store if they can ship interstate?

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Damn! I was just in Brissie last week : (

I think I'll give them a call like you suggest, see if they can find me one.

9. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Any DS store will be able to tell you what the other stores in their region have in stock. The problem is you don't know what the regions are. For example my region is every store north of the Pacfic Highway in Sydney's northern suburbs, not including Gore Hill or North Sydney but including Top Ryde, Macquarie Centre, Hornsby, Central Coast stores, one Newcastle store but not the other two, etc.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Bah...spending too much hunting around. Just signed up for one on virginmobile:

11. juppy

juppy Member

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it in this thread but Nokia are offering a free car kit for this phone (phone holder with suction cup + car charger) for phones purchased after 1st March. I ordered it a few days ago, about a day after I put in an order to DX for the same stuff, oh well, at least this is original nokia gear.

http://www.nokia.com.au/find-a-stor...on-na-ncomexpserv-au-9-learnmorebutton_282x43

From their site: "Please note that this offer is only open to customers who have purchased one of the following handset models: Nokia N97, Nokia N97 mini, Nokia X6, Nokia 5230 XpressMusic, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and Nokia E72 between 1st March and 30th June, and did not receive a car accessories pack. Please call 1800 821 284 to redeem yours today."

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yup, been mentioned already, but doesn't hurt to mention again.

13. juppy

juppy Member

No worries, didnt have time to wade through all the posts.

If anyone is interested in a good silicon case for their 5800, I purchased one for about $10 delivered on ebay recently for my wife's phone, spent a bit of time looking at images of cases and decided that the following was a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170443009432

Aussie seller so arrived in about 2-3 days I think. Fits very well and the day after we put it on the phone my wife dropped her phone on the road from waist height, phone bounced and no damage so paid for itself already. Not related to the seller in the slightest but wanted to give them a plug as I think its a good product. I got the smokey dark case (they call it black I think??), blends in well with the phone (edit: still translucent). You can get other cases on ebay for a couple of bucks from HK but they look like they will be a little loose fitting if the photos are anything to go by.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thanks for that, I will actually need a cover for the phone. Is that a soft or hard shell cover? I do prefer the tight hugging silicony/rubbery types ones.....

Also it's $9.45 without postage.....how much extra for post?

15. juppy

juppy Member

I think the listing contradicts itself as it says plus postage further down the listing, but free postage at the top. I wasnt charged any extra postage.

Its what I would still class as a soft covering (since its not plastic) although the silicon is very firm. In other words it will take hits without cracking and provides good shock protection, if you threw the phone at a wall a few times no doubt the casing might split but I think it would take a fair bit to split it. Volume controls are harder to press as it covers them but does have little button shapes where the volume controls are to make it easier.

Edit: The only thing I've found wrong with this case is it makes it a little harder to use the right hand scroll bar with your thumb (in vertical orientation only), it doesnt cover the scrollbar or anything but because the case makes the edge slightly higher you need to adjust your thumb a little compared to without the case. Either that or use your pointer finger on your other hand (or stylus naturally). I guess every thumb is different so mileage may vary.

Forgot to say that the case fits slightly deeper than the silver camera lens bezel so in theory whilst the bezel is exposed it should still protect it as well as you can lay the phone on its back and the bezel wont touch the surface its laying on. Theres also a type of ridge texture inside the back, so might help to stop any rub marks if you get sand or something inside the case over time.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well I just took delivery this morning.....fantastic phone....absolutely loving it. Such a step up from my older 5310 xpressmusic :thumbup:

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Just checking out apps at the moment, what are the essential apps that people are using?

Been checking out some links in this thread, some apps are just brilliant.

What do you have installed as essential on your 5800?

18. juppy

juppy Member

Some apps Ive got installed.

Shazam (finds what song is playing on radio, same as iphone app)

Qik (video uploader, publish a video online instantly and even works for live video feed)

Fring (supports several instant messengers including skype video)

Converter - Offscreen Technologies version (lots of different conversions in a nice interface)

Ovi maps racing (nice little top down racing game that makes tracks from real street maps).

Smartcam (turn phone into a webcam for your PC across wireless).

Sports Tracker

Joikuspot (turns your phone into a wireless 3g hotspot, free version doesnt support protection so watch out for freeloaders using your data)

19. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

Phonetorch - Use the LED flash as a torch
    Youtube app
    Y-Browser - Much better than the standard file manager
    Skyfire web browser - sometimes much faster than the standard nokia browser and supports flash.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Quick question....when I ring a company and they say "press 1 to go through to sales department" etc.....how do I press 1 during the call? You open the dialler and press 1? I've tried that and nothing....

I'm confused.